RGMIXER.XML Edits

DurtySonuva

Tin, ive been playing the mixer you gave as an attachment to download and replace. I am really enjoying it so far, there is plenty of elevation changing, but it isnt so abrupt as in vanilla. The smoother transitions make for less mountainous terrain, feels more natural. I can actually go up/down the terrain without it being so precarious and cliff-like. I don't have to "go around" terrain as often as in vanilla. Some of the hills have an unnatural craggy kind of look to them on one side, im assuming that's what you meant on modding them a bit. Those probably would have been cliff-like or something otherwise.*shrug*

I didn't run around in creative, just playing it survival, so only a few days in, I have only seen a few biomes, but I'm really liking this so far. Thanks for all the work! If i notice something else noteworthy, ill be sure to come back and let you know. :)

You can change approximately how many biomes are on the map by changing the frequency in the first module in the biome_generators section if you want more biomes to show up.

<module name="voronoi" type="Voronoi">

<property name="frequency" value="0.0006"/> Increase higher for more biomes. Default was 0.0008

<property name="displacement" value="0.5"/>

</module>

Ty for trying it out and the critique :)

Oh i wasnt complaining about the number of biomes, i just tend to "hole up" and not explore a lot until after i get 3/3 Quality Joe perk. Which I have now, so i can start really exploring/looting :)

I didn't think you were complaining :) I was just letting you know 'IF' you felt the need to change it how to do so.. And Cool!

Thanks guys for all this info. I actually feel like I'm starting to understand the .xml edits. I do have one question for Tin. I was using your edit as my server friends want to try out the rolling hills, but we were wondering if it possible to make it more snow and pine? when i try, the land becomes a bit more bumpy (not too bad) and there tends to be huge flat snow areas in the center. I tried editing the terrain_generator range but that doesn't seem to fix it much.

Thanks guys for all this info. I actually feel like I'm starting to understand the .xml edits. I do have one question for Tin. I was using your edit as my server friends want to try out the rolling hills, but we were wondering if it possible to make it more snow and pine? when i try, the land becomes a bit more bumpy (not too bad) and there tends to be huge flat snow areas in the center. I tried editing the terrain_generator range but that doesn't seem to fix it much.

If you want more snow and pine biomes you would need to go to the biomes_spawn_Rules list:

(Vanilla)

<biome_spawn_rules>
	<biome_spawn_rule name="pine_forest">
		<biome_generator range="0,0.1"/> <- the range number "0,1"  
		<terrain_generator range="170,189"/> <- this is actually referencing the map height.
	</biome_spawn_rule>

<biome_spawn_rule name="desert">
		<biome_generator range="0.1,0.3"/>
	</biome_spawn_rule>

<biome_spawn_rule name="burnt_forest">
		<biome_generator range="0.3,0.4"/>
	</biome_spawn_rule>

<biome_spawn_rule name="forest">
		<biome_generator range="0.4,0.6"/>
	</biome_spawn_rule>

<biome_spawn_rule name="snow">
		<biome_generator range="0.6,0.7"/>
		<terrain_generator range="190,255"/>
	</biome_spawn_rule>

<biome_spawn_rule name="wasteland">
		<biome_generator range="0.7,0.8"/>
	</biome_spawn_rule>

<biome_spawn_rule name="plains">
		<biome_generator range="0.8,1"/>
	</biome_spawn_rule>

<biome_spawn_rule name="radiated">
		<distance_from_center range="10000,20000"/>
	</biome_spawn_rule>

<biome_spawn_rule name="water">
		<terrain_generator range="-31,-1"/>
	</biome_spawn_rule>

</biome_spawn_rules>

Now if you just want more pine and snow biomes to generate all you really need to do is adjust the biome_generator range=""

So lets say you still want the other biomes but just to give more of a chance for pine and snow you could do something like:

(Modded)

<biome_spawn_rules>
	<biome_spawn_rule name="pine_forest">
		<biome_generator range="0,0.3"/>
		<terrain_generator range="170,189"/> 
	</biome_spawn_rule>

<biome_spawn_rule name="desert">
		<biome_generator range="0.3,0.4"/>  
	</biome_spawn_rule>

<biome_spawn_rule name="burnt_forest">
		<biome_generator range="0.4,0.5"/>
	</biome_spawn_rule>

<biome_spawn_rule name="forest">
		<biome_generator range="0.5,0.6"/>
	</biome_spawn_rule>

<biome_spawn_rule name="snow">
		<biome_generator range="0.6,0.8"/>
		<terrain_generator range="190,255"/>
	</biome_spawn_rule>

<biome_spawn_rule name="wasteland">
		<biome_generator range="0.8,0.9"/>
	</biome_spawn_rule>

<biome_spawn_rule name="plains">
		<biome_generator range="0.9,1"/>
	</biome_spawn_rule>

<distance_from_center range="10000,20000"/>
	</biome_spawn_rule>

<biome_spawn_rule name="water">
		<terrain_generator range="-31,-1"/>
	</biome_spawn_rule>

</biome_spawn_rules>

You can get even more precise with the Biome generator range by expanding the decimal (ie 0.00 or 0.000). You can also add more copies of biomes to stack the list and have a biome show up more often *Not actual new biomes* like:

Snow ="0,#"

pine ="#,#"

forest ="#,#"

desert ="#,#"

snow ="#,#"

pine ="#,#"

snow ="#,#"

pine ="#,#"

desert ="#,#"

plains ="#,#"

wasteland ="#,1"

ect,. pretty much, as much as you want but not indefinite.

other things that may interest you later on :Other ways to mess with Biomes

Thanks Tin. I understand that to a degree, my main problem now is getting these large flat plateaus and I've even lowered the terrain height i thought someone mentioned it, but cant find it.

secondary and very noob question, what do the range="x.x,x.x" fields mean? is it something like range="field size, and spawn chance" ?

Thanks Tin. I understand that to a degree, my main problem now is getting these large flat plateaus and I've even lowered the terrain height i thought someone mentioned it, but cant find it.

secondary and very noob question, what do the range="x.x,x.x" fields mean? is it something like range="field size, and spawn chance" ?

Are you talking about when the mountains reach a certain height they leave a large flat area on top? If so you would need to lower the scale levels (a very little bit) in the terrain generation modules (I would go to the "land" module and maybe drop the scale down a point or 2). Obviously if that is not enough drop it a couple more points.

<module name="land" type="ScaleBiasOutput">

<property name="sourceModule" value="landBase"/>

<property name="scale" value="0.65"/> 0.63

<property name="bias" value="0.5"/>

</module>

Yeah, you can think the range #'s like a chance or probability in the <biome_generator range="0.6,0.8"/> this is basically stating that if the number falls between 0.6 and 0.8 it will produce a biome, be it snow or what not. the greater the range between those 2 numbers the more likely it will produce "whatever" biome.

This one scales the whole world after everything has been done. If you see your mountains rise up to much you can lower this one, I usually lower it in steps of 5. I think I ended up with around 110, but I have some more mountainous terrain added in.

<module name="scaleBiasOutput" type="ScaleBiasOutput">
			<property name="sourceModule" value="fastFinal"/>
			<property name="scale" value="180"/>
			<property name="bias" value="-1"/>
		</module>

This one scales the whole world after everything has been done. If you see your mountains rise up to much you can lower this one, I usually lower it in steps of 5. I think I ended up with around 110, but I have some more mountainous terrain added in.

<module name="scaleBiasOutput" type="ScaleBiasOutput">
			<property name="sourceModule" value="fastFinal"/>
			<property name="scale" value="180"/>
			<property name="bias" value="-1"/>
		</module>

Or go with what Haidrgna said both will work mine just targets one area and the other targets them all.

Yeah, if you know what area is causing the effect its easier, when you have more controls like me its harder, but in the end its the effect that counts and only by tweaking and testing you can get the result that suits you the best :)

All info is good info, I use what you said a lot I just never think about it when I should point it out :)

Its all fine :) What we need here maybe is a thread where everything we learned here is compiled in a single post, its all spread out over pages and hard to find for people that are not us :)

I think it's okay for now still experimenting with things .. I don't know though maybe Ill see if Roland or one of the moderators can give me control to update this thread and keep all the relevant stuff at the top... hmm

Hmm.. can you tell me what is flat? or is it that the transition between mountains/hills/and flat lands is not noticeable for your liking? Like I said just curious. :)

Keep in mind I was just roaming around in regular mode, not creative flying around. I only saw flat lands running the entire time for about 45 minutes. That could be the seed, the spawn point, or the change. I wanted to see mountains at least in the distance, and some hills and valleys, but everything was plains type flat.

Keep in mind I was just roaming around in regular mode, not creative flying around. I only saw flat lands running the entire time for about 45 minutes. That could be the seed, the spawn point, or the change. I wanted to see mountains at least in the distance, and some hills and valleys, but everything was plains type flat.

Something somewhere happened when you added the tweaks but the entire map will not be flat (guaranteed). Usually if a map is entirely flat it is a issue with the terrain generator not reading modules properly. You should see mountains rises and dips in a rather short period of time. Anyhow I did link a zip file of the entire rwgmixer.xml with the terrain generator added in, So you can try that if you want. No fuss just swappin files and not lines of tweaks :)

So how do i go about loading the map i like to my server? I've messed with my xml and got a seed i want to use but can find a map/seed file. I assume this must work another way unlike other games where it saves a map file and you share it.

If you just want to have the same map on your server as the one you have with a <SP> game, all you need to do is copy the rwgmixer file (and any other files you tweaked) and go into your server file and paste it in, then just use the same seed name and it should produce the same map on the server.

^-For a dedicated server-^

If you are just using the server file that came from the game you shouldn't need to move anything. Just fill out the server file and use the same seed name.

I am seriously loving this rwgmixer you gave, Tin! There is still lots of elevation change, its just a little more gradual and crossable on foot/bike. I have yet to come across a non-POI body of water, but that is likely due to my seed name or something, and I like water being a lot more sparse, anyway.(with so many snow biomes in this seed im using, i dont miss it at all.)

Thanks again :)

I am seriously loving this rwgmixer you gave, Tin! There is still lots of elevation change, its just a little more gradual and crossable on foot/bike. I have yet to come across a non-POI body of water, but that is likely due to my seed name or something, and I like water being a lot more sparse, anyway.(with so many snow biomes in this seed im using, i dont miss it at all.)

Thanks again :)

Cool! TY.

'IF' you want a bit more water to show up adjust the scale down a bit in the:

<module name="land" type="ScaleBiasOutput">

<property name="sourceModule" value="landBase"/>

<property name="scale" value="0.65"/> to like 0.63 or 0.6

<property name="bias" value="0.5"/>

</module>

Edit: Need glasses lol

You can lower the frequency in "LandBase" "0.035" to "0.032" or "0.029" or so to remove some water.

• 3 weeks later...

Breaking news .. Or news to me!

as of A15.1 I have been able to generate a world beyond the 10k radiation distance up to 15k and the rest a 5k rad barrier (although we still get the shakes but not that bad).

So if you want a larger world I know we can get 5k more.

Adjust: <ruleset name="vanilla" cell_cache_size="8" cell_size="1800" cell_offset="0.6" generation_distance="15000" terrain_generator="vanilla"> (top of the rwgmixer.xml)

and: (towards the bottom of the same .xml in the biomes area)

<distance_from_center range="15000,20000"/>

</biome_spawn_rule>

Will try for a full 20k at a later time.

Hmmm, i also noticed this but I thought it was previously? (at least 15.0, it's just not shown in previewer ?)

On the basis of this - I am now able to use radiation biome other than a border for the player ;).

I think that it is not will flood the RAM (previously had always been a world of endless), and for servers there is still the decision is a restriction. The problem is one - shake...

PS: Haidrgna did in his mod, more than 10k?....or you not about it?

I did 12500 in my mod yes. When I made it larger I had the chunkgenerator crash when reaching the border (though that could still have had other causes).

It wont flood the RAM, but will make it use some more I think, although I had some testing done with that render option in the launcher that created a massive memory leak (flooding my 32 GB of RAM rather quickly).

The shake problem is indeed irritating, but it is also just that I still feel that a larger world is not really needed 95% of the time, in sp you will not even see 10% of your world with 10000 unless a player is really a fanatic explorer. But a world of 20000 total should be ok for long going servers with lot of new player influx maybe, if spawning would really span the entire map that is.

As for the radiation biome, did you manage to make the radiation be less lethal and still lethal on border then? I managed to get it to decorate properly and I probably could remove the radiation. I also do not think there is a need to generate 10000 of radiated biome border, 1000 will do. Only godmode or teleport will get you beyond it.

Archived