RGMIXER.XML Edits

DurtySonuva

Yeh, the serverconfig is just there (even on your client) for dedi's, the rwgmixer.xml is the real deal.

You have the right idea; back up the original (you can create a special sub-folder), then copy over the new one.

Or you can write batch files to switch back and forth.

So what happens is, when you create the random gen world (when you first start it), the game looks at the rwgmixer file to determine how it's going to create it. If you exit the game, swap files, and go back into the same game you're going to find oddities when you explore new areas, as the game will then be creating those areas based off the rwgmixer file you just swapped in.

Unless something has changed, or I'm totally wrong.

Actually that has changed, if working correctly, the game save files remember the mixer used and store it and keep using it for that save file. At least thats what I read, I never actually tried if it works.

Do this if you're comfortable:

Copy your original rwgmixer.xml to rwgmixer.original

Download tins mixer, and rename it to rwgmixer.tins

Make sure BOTH are in the correct folder.

...as long as the files are those names, this batch file will call up a little menu that will allow you to select from different mixers. You can easily add more mixers to the "mix". You may need to set windows to view file extensions, so that you're actually renaming the files to the correct name.

Paste this into a file called selectmixer.bat into the SAME FOLDER as the mixers.

@echo off
cls
:menu
Echo.
Echo ..................
Echo Choose which Mixer to use
Echo.
Echo 1 - Original Mixer
Echo 2 - Tins Mixer
Echo 3 - EXIT
Echo.
set /p M=Type 1, 2, or 3 then press ENTER:
IF %M%==1 GOTO Original
IF %M%==2 GOTO Tins
IF %M%==3 GOTO EOF
:Original
copy /y rwgmixer.original rwgmixer.xml
GOTO MENU
:Tins
copy /y rwgmixer.tins rwgmixer.xml
GOTO MENU
:EOF
exit

Create a shortcut to the selectmixer.bat file

- - - Updated - - -

@Haidrgna

Oh? Look at me, not keeping up with current events. :)

...then my above code may not be necessary.

[ATTACH]18122[/ATTACH]

This one has one extra module added but it just gives a bit more texture to everything (Still the same essentially).

Hope you enjoy and let me know if you think it need more/less in areas for my curiosity.

Very interesting settings. I like your earlier version very much, and we are using it on our server currently, with some additional tweaks I did to biome spawn rates. I like the rolling hills, and only an occacional mountain here and there. I also have a 1km by 1km circular wasteland biome in the middle of the map to make the hub feel a bit more special, and the way(ish) it was early on in RWG.

Only problem we have is, that I didn't get any snow biomes spawning with setting it to over 210m... No idea what I did wrong, but we don't either have high enough mountains, or they just won't spawn at all for one reason or another. Needless to say, this has made the game much harder, because of not that much potassium nitrate for ammo. Nice and refreshing challenge though. :-)

Very interesting settings. I like your earlier version very much, and we are using it on our server currently, with some additional tweaks I did to biome spawn rates. I like the rolling hills, and only an occacional mountain here and there. I also have a 1km by 1km circular wasteland biome in the middle of the map to make the hub feel a bit more special, and the way(ish) it was early on in RWG.

Only problem we have is, that I didn't get any snow biomes spawning with setting it to over 210m... No idea what I did wrong, but we don't either have high enough mountains, or they just won't spawn at all for one reason or another. Needless to say, this has made the game much harder, because of not that much potassium nitrate for ammo. Nice and refreshing challenge though. :-)

Can you post what you have from the terrain down to the biome list, so I can look through it?

Edit: and the seed name you are using also just in case I need to load it up pls :)

Edit2: I am suspiciously eyeing that 210m as the cause for no snow biomes being the culprit.

...as long as the files are those names, this batch file will call up a little menu that will allow you to select from different mixers. You can easily add more mixers to the "mix". You may need to set windows to view file extensions, so that you're actually renaming the files to the correct name.

Paste this into a file called selectmixer.bat into the SAME FOLDER as the mixers.

@echo off
cls
Echo.
Echo ..................
Echo.
Echo 1 - Original Mixer
Echo 2 - Tins Mixer
Echo 3 - EXIT
Echo.
IF %M%==1 GOTO Original
IF %M%==2 GOTO Tins
IF %M%==3 GOTO EOF
GOTO MENU
GOTO MENU
exit

- - - Updated - - -

@Haidrgna

OK, after fixing 7.1 sound not coming from the new pc, I'm finally looking at this again. I can;t find the location of the original mixer in the game install. Windows search also came up dry. I'll look at that new menu option to make it optional... but another question comes to mind.. you mentioned if you swapped mixers again, that the world wouldn;t respawn properly on a reload.. with your new menu, does that mean I just select the proper mixer before launching the world?

I alo saw that other new random world gen mod a bit agao.. your thoughts on it?

EDIT: Just found it in the configs folder. Looking at the bat menu thing now.

@echo off
cls
Echo.
Echo ..................
Echo.
Echo 1 - Original Mixer
Echo 2 - Tins Mixer
Echo 3 - EXIT
Echo.
IF %M%==1 GOTO Original
IF %M%==2 GOTO Tins
IF %M%==3 GOTO EOF
GOTO MENU
GOTO MENU
exit

- - - Updated - - -

@Haidrgna

if I'm reading the code properly, the renamed versions should not have the .xml extended on the filename, just the new names you posted, correct?

Also, you use the shortcut to swap instead of seeing something in game, right? (Tried the game launch and saw no change) I wasn't sure if the game called a batch file internally.

ok. batch menu worked perfectly. seed was tinstest, but it seemed awfully flat. maybe i need a cross between this and vanilla?

upside is i came across a military camp, let the mines clear the zeds, and had two rocket laaunchers and 14 rockets by day 1 9am...lol!

ok. batch menu worked perfectly. seed was tinstest, but it seemed awfully flat. maybe i need a cross between this and vanilla?

upside is i came across a military camp, let the mines clear the zeds, and had two rocket laaunchers and 14 rockets by day 1 9am...lol!

Welcome to the wondrous world of vanilla loot balance :)

You are free to try my mod out as well Garee, probably the one you saw since I released it yesterday.

Ah good you found the Config folder, was already trying to guide you to it.

yup, thats what i was talking about. i love the idea of getting more of the nav prefabs in random gen. i need to see what all changes it has.. too many and the wife get too overwhelmed by the changes.

yup, thats what i was talking about. i love the idea of getting more of the nav prefabs in random gen. i need to see what all changes it has.. too many and the wife get too overwhelmed by the changes.

Core gameplay is the same, loot is better balanced and its harder (vanilla loot gets easy quickly). Biomes look better, there are more zombies around in the world and POIs (but there is an optional spawn file that is more friendly).

But you should try it out, its supposed to be an improvement but also increased challenge. You can also just take the world files from World ONLY folder and leave rest vanilla, you will only get the world and POIs, but not the zombies.

Looks like you got it all sorted. Yeh, the filenames have to be what they are in the batch file, but you could always edit the batch file to call them whatever, or add more menu options when you try more mixers, but as haid said earlier, the need to swap them out prior to playing a save game may not be necessary, but at the least it's a quick tool to keep them sorted. I suppose I could write a real program that does the same, and fancier, but I heard there was already a mod manager out there and it likely does the same.

Mine is a quick and dirty method. That I don't even use. :)

You could even make it so that you back up your entire config folder, with all the xmls, and then slightly edit the batch file to swap those in and out.

@Garee

Man, are you gonna love Bad Co and Magoli's Compo Pack...

Bad Co adds 50+ new zombies and bandits, and the Compo Pack adds what, hundreds of user created prefabs? Not all of them "fit" into the world, but they're easily editable to be tailored to your liking... (it's the prefabs and a new rwgmixer to spawn them). That's if you want to go hogs wild with prefabs. Haid's collection looks to be a lot more picky, and better suited for the game environment.

Welcome to the modding section, where all of your dreams come true. And these are just xml edits! Wait until you discover sdx! :)

Hmm.. can you tell me what is flat? or is it that the transition between mountains/hills/and flat lands is not noticeable for your liking? Like I said just curious. :)

@Garee

Man, are you gonna love Bad Co and Magoli's Compo Pack...

Bad Co adds 50+ new zombies and bandits, and the Compo Pack adds what, hundreds of user created prefabs? Not all of them "fit" into the world, but they're easily editable to be tailored to your liking... (it's the prefabs and a new rwgmixer to spawn them). That's if you want to go hogs wild with prefabs. Haid's collection looks to be a lot more picky, and better suited for the game environment.

Welcome to the modding section, where all of your dreams come true. And these are just xml edits! Wait until you discover sdx! :)

My selection is vanilla only for now. Perhaps when the bugs with prefabs are fixed I will dive into prefabbing too. I would love to add more decorative prefabs at least, not sure if they would give errors as well (most likely tho).

Tin ,Been playing your rwg .It's great but can't understand why the jars of honey don't cure me from infection.

Took 3 jars and nothing.Can't see how this is when you only changed the rwg mxl.

Were you past stage 1?

What you have is basically 'Vanilla' I haven't released anything other than a different terrain generation. So it's either a bug in the game itself or you may have missed something and didn't realize you were past stage 1 infection. (for me) There are still too many inconsistencies in the program itself, again 'for me', to release a full blown top to bottom mod yet (although it's getting closer :)).

The one where you get errors if you do not have the files in your game, I have not seen any updates to 15.0 b105, so its still there. It only happens on servers tho, if you connect to one where the client game does not have the custom prefab file, even a renamed vanilla one.

Were you past stage 1?

What you have is basically 'Vanilla' I haven't released anything other than a different terrain generation. So it's either a bug in the game itself or you may have missed something and didn't realize you were past stage 1 infection. (for me) There are still too many inconsistencies in the program itself, again 'for me', to release a full blown top to bottom mod yet (although it's getting closer :)).

Correct ...been playing and testing all these new worlds to long need sleep

Tin, ive been playing the mixer you gave as an attachment to download and replace. I am really enjoying it so far, there is plenty of elevation changing, but it isnt so abrupt as in vanilla. The smoother transitions make for less mountainous terrain, feels more natural. I can actually go up/down the terrain without it being so precarious and cliff-like. I don't have to "go around" terrain as often as in vanilla. Some of the hills have an unnatural craggy kind of look to them on one side, im assuming that's what you meant on modding them a bit. Those probably would have been cliff-like or something otherwise.*shrug*

I didn't run around in creative, just playing it survival, so only a few days in, I have only seen a few biomes, but I'm really liking this so far. Thanks for all the work! If i notice something else noteworthy, ill be sure to come back and let you know. :)

Archived