RGMIXER.XML Edits

DurtySonuva

Not sure myself, just trying to find a reason the ring world is getting altered.

If you're talking about that distortion in the preview with the "circle"-seed, that's always been like so, to get rid of that, I just have to adjust the voronoi, as I had figured out already ages ago: https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?52259-RGMIXER-XML-Edits&p=514193&viewfull=1#post514193

And here I did it with your first no-water-tweak:

20170406230946_1.jpg

So that's fine. The remaining question, and in no sense a pressing or particularly relevant one, is, why only a few seeds produce the rings. It's no mentionable problem to try out a couple, that takes a few minutes. It's only curious.

That screen shot: I can't give the hub centers any form, that is just how they have it set when placing a city/town/rural. A16 is our only hope on that.
Not sure what you mean.. I made the cities to be 5 x 5 (city-)blocks, that's as big as they can be with my cell-size of 1000. That the game simply cuts out an area from the rwg, I am aware of and don't mind it. It actually often looks neat, with a bit of a wayward pines flair.

So you like a lot of mountains and hills and little to no flat areas... If I get more time I see what I can come up with.
Not trying to keep you from coming up with even better worlds, but myself, I'm good. Perfectly fine. You made my dreams come true already.

I'd find it more interesting if you'd look further into the very first one you made, with the plateau and the craters. Should be the first zip in this post:

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?52259-RGMIXER-XML-Edits&p=602845&viewfull=1#post602845

What could be interesting here is that flat overworld, going really close to the sky-limit, and then really deep craters for the pois, and maybe some random craters where no pois are. Or canyonesque river bedish rifts that cut through the world like veins. If possible, not too harsh cliffs so the player can go down at least somewhere, with biomes distinctly tied to height. That might produce a nice atmosphere. I'm currently polishing "my mod", but I'd certainly be interested to make something out of such a world, like I mentioned here: https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?61006-Possible-to-remove-water&p=602903&viewfull=1#post602903

Looking at the code in the Assembly, it seems to me that the way you have the "Ring World" set up is a bit superfluous. When the game checks to see what biome something is, it loops through the list of all the Biome Spawn Rules, then the list of Terrain Spawn Rules, then the Distance From Center rules, and returns the last one. In that order. Which means that having a Biome Generator rule and a Distance From Center Rule should have the Distance rule override.

Now, rules can fail to load for various reasons. One occurs when their inner edge is outside of the normal map generating area. This means that the Biome Generator spawn would take over.

So I think your problem would be solved by making sure that all the rings are smaller than the "generation_distance" at the top of the file, and removing the "<biome_generator range=*>" rules from the Biome Spawn Rules section. If your goal is to have the rings being the only variation in terrain, that would do it. If you still want some variation, you can place those variations "on top" of the rings, by placing them later in the file.

Keep in mind that the game cycles through the Biome Spawn Rules list, one "Rule" at a time. You could have a Biome Generator rule and a Terrain Generator rule, and the game would only take whichever one meets the criteria for that particular chunk, but every point has a Distance, so they will ALWAYS take precedence, no matter what else that area matches, unless the next Rule processed overrides that.

Like so:

<biome_spawn_rules>
	<biome_spawn_rule name="city_wasteland">
		<distance_from_center range="0,500"/>
	</biome_spawn_rule>

<biome_spawn_rule name="wasteland">
		<distance_from_center range="500,2500"/>
	</biome_spawn_rule>

<biome_spawn_rule name="city">
		<distance_from_center range="2500,3500"/>
	</biome_spawn_rule>

<biome_spawn_rule name="burnt_forest">
		<distance_from_center range="3500,4500"/>
	</biome_spawn_rule>

<biome_spawn_rule name="desert">
		<distance_from_center range="4500,5500"/>
	</biome_spawn_rule>

<biome_spawn_rule name="plains">
		<distance_from_center range="5500,6500"/>
	</biome_spawn_rule>

<biome_spawn_rule name="pine_forest">
		<distance_from_center range="6500,7500"/>
	</biome_spawn_rule>

<biome_spawn_rule name="snow">
		<distance_from_center range="7500,8500"/>
	</biome_spawn_rule>

<biome_spawn_rule name="forest">
		<distance_from_center range="8500,9500"/>
	</biome_spawn_rule>

<biome_generator range="0.9,1.0" />
		<terrain_generator range="2,10" />
	</biome_spawn_rule>

<biome_generator range="0.0,0.1" />
		<terrain_generator range="130,255" />
	</biome_spawn_rule>

<biome_spawn_rule name="water">
		<terrain_generator range="-28,1" />
	</biome_spawn_rule>

<biome_spawn_rule name="wasteland_hub">
		<distance_from_center range="9500,10500"/>
	</biome_spawn_rule>

<distance_from_center range="10500,12500"/>
	</biome_spawn_rule>

<biome_spawn_rule name="radiated">
		<distance_from_center range="12500,20000"/>
	</biome_spawn_rule>

</biome_spawn_rules>

Ha! At first I thought you suggestion was crap, because the "circle"-seed was just snow. But then I removed the height based snow and desert rules:

<biome_spawn_rules>
	<biome_spawn_rule name="city_wasteland">
		<distance_from_center range="0,500"/>
	</biome_spawn_rule>

<biome_spawn_rule name="wasteland">
		<distance_from_center range="500,2500"/>
	</biome_spawn_rule>

<biome_spawn_rule name="city">
		<distance_from_center range="2500,3500"/>
	</biome_spawn_rule>

<biome_spawn_rule name="burnt_forest">
		<distance_from_center range="3500,4500"/>
	</biome_spawn_rule>

<distance_from_center range="4500,5500"/>
	</biome_spawn_rule>

<biome_spawn_rule name="plains">
		<distance_from_center range="5500,6500"/>
	</biome_spawn_rule>

<biome_spawn_rule name="pine_forest">
		<distance_from_center range="6500,7500"/>
	</biome_spawn_rule>

<distance_from_center range="7500,8500"/>
	</biome_spawn_rule>

<biome_spawn_rule name="forest">
		<distance_from_center range="8500,9500"/>
	</biome_spawn_rule>

<terrain_generator range="-28,1" />
	</biome_spawn_rule>

<biome_spawn_rule name="wasteland_hub">
		<distance_from_center range="9500,10500"/>
	</biome_spawn_rule>

<distance_from_center range="10500,12500"/>
	</biome_spawn_rule>

<biome_spawn_rule name="radiated">
		<distance_from_center range="12500,20000"/>
	</biome_spawn_rule>

</biome_spawn_rules>

and now I indeed get the rings for every seed. Well done!

If you're talking about that distortion in the preview with the "circle"-seed, that's always been like so, to get rid of that, I just have to adjust the voronoi, as I had figured out already ages ago: https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?52259-RGMIXER-XML-Edits&p=514193&viewfull=1#post514193

And here I did it with your first no-water-tweak:

20170406230946_1.jpg

So that's fine. The remaining question, and in no sense a pressing or particularly relevant one, is, why only a few seeds produce the rings. It's no mentionable problem to try out a couple, that takes a few minutes. It's only curious.

Yeah, This is what I am referring to^ I do know the generator (LibNoise that is) Has a peculiar disclaimer stating the program itself can't produce certain combinations and ranges, so maybe it is pointing to these little quirks. .. And who knows how much it has been modified by TFP (I am sure by a lot).

Not sure what you mean.. I made the cities to be 5 x 5 (city-)blocks, that's as big as they can be with my cell-size of 1000. That the game simply cuts out an area from the rwg, I am aware of and don't mind it. It actually often looks neat, with a bit of a wayward pines flair.

Not trying to keep you from coming up with even better worlds, but myself, I'm good. Perfectly fine. You made my dreams come true already.

I'd find it more interesting if you'd look further into the very first one you made, with the plateau and the craters. Should be the first zip in this post:

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?52259-RGMIXER-XML-Edits&p=602845&viewfull=1#post602845

Just stating that is a A15 limitation and you will always get those hub layouts flat as flat can be and depending on where the game wants to place them it can cut out mountains in unusual ways (obviously corrected for A16)

What could be interesting here is that flat overworld, going really close to the sky-limit, and then really deep craters for the pois, and maybe some random craters where no pois are. Or canyonesque river bedish rifts that cut through the world like veins. If possible, not too harsh cliffs so the player can go down at least somewhere, with biomes distinctly tied to height. That might produce a nice atmosphere. I'm currently polishing "my mod", but I'd certainly be interested to make something out of such a world, like I mentioned here: https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?61006-Possible-to-remove-water&p=602903&viewfull=1#post602903

That would pretty cool! I am curious on if we get a bit more control on what we can do in A16. I have made a higher world and it produce craters but the Hub layout is hit and miss on if the city/towns get placed in one of them.

Ha! At first I thought you suggestion was crap, because the "circle"-seed was just snow. But then I removed the height based snow and desert rules:

and now I indeed get the rings for every seed. Well done!

Yes, they were just there to show how the overriding happens. Glad it worked.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Tin,

do you think that it's possible to have, instead of a ring world, a square world, where biomes are arrange in squares..? Like so:

indexdfgdfg.jpg

That way, I could have the fullest possible control over how a cell looks. Currently, if I want to have a certain cell-rule, for example how the streets look and how many wilderness-pois there are, it would overlap biomes.

My hopes aren't high, but what do I know of these things.

Hi Tin,

do you think that it's possible to have, instead of a ring world, a square world, where biomes are arrange in squares..? Like so:

indexdfgdfg.jpg

That way, I could have the fullest possible control over how a cell looks. Currently, if I want to have a certain cell-rule, for example how the streets look and how many wilderness-pois there are, it would overlap biomes.

My hopes aren't high, but what do I know of these things.

I think anything is possible given time (most likely?!)... You would definitely need to work out all the math and all the 90degree rotations going from 0,0 on out. what I would start testing with first -> Probably using translate then the rotation coords and maybe the cylinder shape as well. I just see a lot of time going in to it. I also don't know How many modules it would need to make it all and adding too many will crush the loading times.

I think anything is possible given time (most likely?!)... You would definitely need to work out all the math and all the 90degree rotations going from 0,0 on out. what I would start testing with first -> Probably using translate then the rotation coords and maybe the cylinder shape as well. I just see a lot of time going in to it. I also don't know How many modules it would need to make it all and adding too many will crush the loading times.
Ok.. I might play around with it some, at least you can just refresh the rwgmixer.xml from the preview-tool-thing, so it's not as tedious as having to quit and restart.

If you say that anything is possible.. I mean the question is kinda redundant, but: Could it then also be made so that you have a biome-mix, as usual, but the biomes would be squares that start and end at cell borders? For that full control?

Ok.. I might play around with it some, at least you can just refresh the rwgmixer.xml from the preview-tool-thing, so it's not as tedious as having to quit and restart.

If you say that anything is possible.. I mean the question is kinda redundant, but: Could it then also be made so that you have a biome-mix, as usual, but the biomes would be squares that start and end at cell borders? For that full control?

My anything is possible was basically referring to "Sure, if you want to take the time to peel what has actually went into the terrain/biome generation code". :)

I don't see why you couldn't have a biome mix and one be placed in each square section.. I also don't have any specific area that I can point at either. I also don't know 100% if you can tie the biomes to individual terrain modules but my gut tells me it should be possible even if I haven't been successful with it yet. Part of it is pure guess with everything I have worked with in the generator and part of it is how many different ways you can utilize the different modules.

I am still learning and the more I learn the more the system seems to be pretty robust and is why I am More confident than not this stuff can be done.

The stuff you want to do is just areas I have only dabbled in and I am more focused on trying to get more realistic terrain generation with the least amount of modules usage. Both areas are connected but different at the same time :)

I am just sorry I cant give you anything that is concrete to work with :(

I am gonna need to delve into the biome generator at some point. I wonder if the seed name is overriding thing's it shouldn't. I also wonder if adding no_seed="true"> to some of the biome modules will have any affect as well.

I wondered this, with so man asking for "seeds" if making terrain edits while using the same seed name over and over was pointless if you got the same map over and over.

I wondered this, with so man asking for "seeds" if making terrain edits while using the same seed name over and over was pointless if you got the same map over and over.

Yeah I have been slacking a bit but I have gotten mixed results. the seed can affect the biome if I add it in BUT currently is not anything to put in the thread.

Yeah I have been slacking a bit but I have gotten mixed results. the seed can affect the biome if I add it in BUT currently is not anything to put in the thread.

glad you understood that lol. i had just woke up and reading it now im surprised i made any sense. I just know on 3 attempts of reset I kept getting the same terrain minus a few spikes shooting out of the ground and mountains that looked more like walls then mountains

glad you understood that lol. i had just woke up and reading it now im surprised i made any sense. I just know on 3 attempts of reset I kept getting the same terrain minus a few spikes shooting out of the ground and mountains that looked more like walls then mountains

I guessed as well as I could and then just threw it out hoping we're talking close to the same thing xD

What "seed" does on terrain and biome is .... mysterious ....

It takes one third of whole time to make desired generators for me.

I currently test seeds from "001" to "010" before I release them.

I'm making cliffy area but, some seed ruin this generator.

Hmmm....., this may take long time....

Been following the thread due to wanting a world that wasn't one giant mountain range and the rest all water. 100m tall cliffs everywhere just didn't feel right. I'm using one of Tins now and so far it's great but I did notice some mountains that look like giant stalagmitds. Sadly I found my first cave ever and it caved in on forming.

Been following the thread due to wanting a world that wasn't one giant mountain range and the rest all water. 100m tall cliffs everywhere just didn't feel right. I'm using one of Tins now and so far it's great but I did notice some mountains that look like giant stalagmitds. Sadly I found my first cave ever and it caved in on forming.

Ohh I love when that happens! .. ok not really

That is a vanilla thing as well. Let me know If you remember how long ago you got the rwgmixer. I may have a newer one..

https://7daystodie.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=19870&d=1492631152

This has my latest creation...

What "seed" does on terrain and biome is .... mysterious ....

It takes one third of whole time to make desired generators for me.

I currently test seeds from "001" to "010" before I release them.

I'm making cliffy area but, some seed ruin this generator.

Hmmm....., this may take long time....

I do know there's a randomization if you use a seed additive or not, just less of one if you don't use the additive. So try using no_seed="true"

on each starting module you don't want a drastic changes to happen to.

you giving us the runaround with that link :D

That's right! I am so pushing this. One of my better works (imo)

I do have another I am working on >.> Learned some new tricks and better implementations.. May be released sometime after A16 though depending on what the new stuff brings us :)

Plus I don't know what version he has. I have put so many out I need to start putting the dates on them for easy reference :p

you giving us the runaround with that link :D

That's right! I am so pushing this. One of my better works (imo)

lol, that was me trying to be funny about the link not doing anything for me....it is just a link back to your post......with the link

Doh, nvm....when I clicked the link it just refreshed the page. Didn't think anything was happening....now I have 7 copies of the zip file on my computer lol

lol, that was me trying to be funny about the link not doing anything for me....it is just a link back to your post......with the link

Doh, nvm....when I clicked the link it just refreshed the page. Didn't think anything was happening....now I have 7 copies of the zip file on my computer lol

Ha too funny :)

>.> I did it on purpose so my d/l count will explode xD <jk>

just wondering how do i increase the city and town size and the amount of both that generate

<ruleset name="vanilla" cell_cache_size="8" cell_size="1800" cell_offset="0.6" generation_distance="10000" terrain_generator="vanilla">

Lower your cell_size="" to increase the amount of hubs (towns/city/rurals). Depending on you computer will dictate how much you can lower it. "1200" is a good starting point. *you will need to start new worlds every time you adjust it in order for it to take affect*

<hub_rule name="citySmall">
<hub_type value="city"/>
<width value="[color="#FFFF00"]412, 824[/color]" />
<height value="[color="#FFFF00"]412, 824[/color]" />
<path_material value="asphalt" /> 
<path_radius value="7" />	
<prefab_rule name="wastelandHub" prob="1"/>
</hub_rule>

Adjust the width and height values to increase/decrease the sizes *This goes for towns as well, Rural will not actually be affect really if you adjust* Do not exceed your cell size.

you can adjust your cell_offset="" as well to center the hubs in the cells "0.1" is more than enough.

*bonus* if you want more wilderness pois:

<wilderness_rule name="wildernessDefault" [color="#FFFF00"]spawn_min_max="15,20"[/color]>
<path_material value="gravel" /> 
<path_radius value="2" />
<prefab_rule name="wildernessPOIs" prob="1"/>
</wilderness_rule>

increase the spawn_min_max="" to 2-3times f.e. "30,40" or "45,60" you can go a bit higher to suit your preference.

ty tin you rock

will this affect anything negativly

<cell_rules>

<cell_rule name="lowDensity">

<cave_count value="4,8"/>

<!-- <hub_rule name="townSmall" prob="0.2"/> -->

<hub_rule name="ruralHub01" prob="0.6"/>

<hub_rule name="CoronadoCity" prob="0.8" />

<wilderness_rule name="wildernessDefault"/>

</cell_rule>

<cell_rule name="highDensity">

<cave_count value="4,8"/>

<hub_rule name="townLarge" prob="0.8"/>

<hub_rule name="townSmall" prob="0.4"/>

<hub_rule name="ruralHub01" prob="0.7"/>

<hub_rule name="WastyTown" prob="0.2" />

<hub_rule name="wastycity" prob="0.6" />

<hub_rule name="CoronadoCity" prob="0.9" />

<wilderness_rule name="wildernessDefault" prob="1"/>

</cell_rule>

ty tin you rock

I know there are set "width" and "height" values when adjusting the hub sizes that are best to use. I think you can find what they are in the "compo pack" thread or "MEGA CITY" thread.. I think StompyNZ says it as well. The 2 threads are in the prefabs section.

Read in them and it might save you some guess work.

ty tin you rock

will this affect anything negativly

If you are using one of the mods, you might want to check with them. I say that because some of your hubs I don't recognize from vanilla so really hard to tell. Can't hurt to try it out and see what you get :) just make sure you have your task killer handy to manually shut it down if need be.

Archived