Project Slaanhatten

Slaan

Welcome to Project Slaanhatten

Alpha 19 Update! - Sept 21 

About me - "Hi I'm Slaan and I keep trying to build cities"

New World:  Project Slaanhatten

Updated world editor prefab pack

DOWNLOAD HERE

New project map in the works, stay tuned for more updates!

The below Video still does a good job of showcasing the direction I'm going with this pack,  feel free to follow My Channel On Youtube to catch the livestreams and videos.

Enjoy and happy Prefabbing!

Edited by Slaan
The last edit message was lying (see edit history)

I cant wait for the official release.

I want to have my houseboat on the River !!! :)

(and my U-boat in the River :) )

I was able to see some steps of the working-process.

Everytime i was there it looked better and better.

I really loved it.

rock on

Mag

I cant wait for the official release.

I want to have my houseboat on the River !!! :)

(and my U-boat in the River :) )

I was able to see some steps of the working-process.

Everytime i was there it looked better and better.

I really loved it.

rock on

Mag

Yeah, working on water is gonna be fun, plenty room for all sorts of wierd things. It's gonna be fun watching what sorts of things people end up building when size is not so much of a big issue.

Ok added link to main post, the northern half of the map is now available for public playtesting, hope you enjoy it as much as I did putting it together.

Some important things to be aware of:

1, read the about file, all of the know issues, fixed and prevalent, are mentioned here as well as a bunch of how to use infomation.

2, The hub is VERY seed dependant, by which I mean depending on height issues sections may not spawn, I'll add a handful of working seeds at the bottom of this post.

3, The hub is very rough around it's perimiter and floaty islands may still occur on some seeds. The closer area's come to completion the more I can do to remove this stuff without making it obvious to the eye (like the roads in the sewer ;D)

It is still largely a work in progress build but I think what is there is enough to enjoy for now while I knuckle down with the rest.

Please spare a moment to read through the credits, It's important to me that people are recognized for their contributions no matter how small, If I used something you built and you think it looks terrible.... sorry ;p

The rwgmixer contained within is vanilla with no mods with the exception of the hub itself, I removed as much of the unused areas as possible for this version.

*seeds*

justdoit0

justdoit1

justdoit6

justdoit9 (one of the best so far)

try as many seeds as possible, i've had several that the hub sits just nice in but as you will see steep drops are unavoidable in some areas at this stage.

Ok I commented out the above.

But man this hub is amazingly detailed and really awesome to stroll thru. Very recommended and even tho it not 100% complete one can one can only imagine when it is fully complete. And at this early stage is damn awesome well done to all involved in making this.

Ok sorry about that, It's the first time I've had to roll the project back, my version includes lowfdogs area and some other 'blank' spots that are the foundation for whats been drawn into the next version's concept map and I had not fully removed all the unused entries.

The link has been updated with the corrections in the mixer, let me know if you have any other troubles.

Forgot to add that people are more than welcome to include this in their own packs, It will be easy enough to update the prefab sections as I release newer versions, and there will always be a fresh mixer included for those who want to add the new stuff from each update.

You are able to add the hub itself into a custom cell in the same as the other custom hubs, Magoli is more than welcome to include it there, it's a very simple affair to keep the project updated once I release new versions of it.

As long as people are aware there is a txt file I keep in my project folder that tracks the known issues and things people might want/need to know about the hub and how it works. Also all the prefabbers/modders who's works are included are credited within the project folder too, so I would recommend you grab a copy of the project folder regardless just to fill yourself in on the details.

I used to run a small dedicated server with multiple mods since A10 to A12 and merging and updating all those files was a true pain in the ass. I gave your code a glance but it doesn't look like a quick job, and honestly I'm not going to get stuck in that swamp again.

For now I've just generated central city chunks with your code and then swapped it with's Mgoli's...

Btw, some of loot containers you've used in the prefabs are "player-made" and they have lootlist value of 10 - which means they neither contain nor spawn anything (i.e. "storageHealth", "storageAmmo"). A warehouse full of those storage boxes looks promising but it quickly turns out to be just disappointing...

Btw, some of loot containers you've used in the prefabs are "player-made" and they have lootlist value of 10 - which means they neither contain nor spawn anything (i.e. "storageHealth", "storageAmmo"). A warehouse full of those storage boxes looks promising but it quickly turns out to be just disappointing...

the storagehealth containers etc are spose to spawn empty as thy are just for deco/storage purposes. not a error or bug

the storagehealth containers etc are spose to spawn empty as thy are just for deco/storage purposes. not a error or bug

I didn't say it's a bug or an error. I know it's working fine, but I doubt that creating a warehouse full of empty containers just for the look of the crates was the sole purpose.

I didn't say it's a bug or an error. I know it's working fine, but I doubt that creating a warehouse full of empty containers just for the look of the crates was the sole purpose.

Hate to say it bud, but thats exactly the purpose. The reasoning behind it is with all these custom prefabs we generally have a lot more loot containers than you would typically get in the same kind of area within the vanilla game and as the game is balanced for the content the pimps created, modders have a certain responsibility imo to maintain that balance within their creations.

I can't speak for the compo pack, but one idea Im planning at a later date is to create some custom loot containers that look the same as their counterparts but would have a much smaller chance of items in them, this would not be until the hub has had its foundations set in properly so that I can look at the area as a whole and adjust the loot accordingly.

Also remember my personal use for this hub is for a pvp dedi server, so loot will be more abundant than typically expected as we hope to have permanent residents moving into the city and taking over sections to hold as their territory.

- - - Updated - - -

I used to run a small dedicated server with multiple mods since A10 to A12 and merging and updating all those files was a true pain in the ass. I gave your code a glance but it doesn't look like a quick job, and honestly I'm not going to get stuck in that swamp again.

For now I've just generated central city chunks with your code and then swapped it with's Mgoli's...

I will work on adding the hub as a custom cell within the latest compo pack mixer, it's not as bad as it seems, theres just a lot more to the hub layout code and it's prefab rule than some might expect.

You sound sick!!

Anyway, your tutorial made it so easy that even an untrained, wild monkey could make it.

However I've spent nearly 2h looking for a suitable biome and testing different rwgmiser settings....

I've ended up with "iluvgrumpy" seed which is more or less acceptable (moderate temperature and somewhat flat surface).

Here's the rwgmixer.xml merging Magoli's pack and Slaanhatten.

P.S. I've noticed that your city doesn't generate on a desert biome - it creates streets only with a few to none prefabs, and it consists mostly of empty lots.

(...)I can't speak for the compo pack, but one idea Im planning at a later date is to create some custom loot containers that look the same as their counterparts but would have a much smaller chance of items in them, (...)

It's be enough if you'd use a custom containers even with the same meshes and models, but just with different names, so it wouldn't be the same as the ones made by players. That'd allow us to adjust it as we like, because currently I can't do anything with it, as those are the same craftable containers, so making them spawn loot would create a gamebreaking exploit...

P.S. I've noticed that your city doesn't generate on a desert biome - it creates streets only with a few to none prefabs, and it consists mostly of empty lots.

Yeah different seeds can have different results, basically if the prefab clips above or below the world (below bedrock/above sky limit) then they won't load up. I think I can probably trim of some of the stone base and maybe adjust the offset to something more agreeable, around -25(ish) to make generating the hub in the very low biomes a little less troublesome.

and yeah, i need more lemsips before i record more video ;p

Okay, I wasn't sure what was causing the error I kept getting, but now I'm 100% sure it's your mod.

Your code works fine in SP, but in MP it randomly creates the same error over and over. It happens only when generating chunks in Slaanhatten, and only in MP. It stops the server from generating chunks and desynchronizes all clients, making reconnecting impossible. This behavior is slightly different in case of a dedicted server and a privately hosted MP game, but the cause is exactly the same.

2016-01-26T22:36:36 12448.184 ERR Exception in thread thread_GenerateChunks:

2016-01-26T22:36:36 12448.184 EXC The given key was not present in the dictionary.

KeyNotFoundException: The given key was not present in the dictionary.

at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[system.String,Prefab].get_Item (System.String key) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at HGHubLayout.generateLots () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at HGHubLayout.Init () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at HubCell.GenerateDetails () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at RandomWorldGenerator.GetBiomeCellByWorldPos (Int32 _seed, Single x, Single y, Boolean _generateDetails) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at RandomWorldGenerator.GetBiomeCellByWorldPos (Single x, Single y, Boolean _generateDetails) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at TerrainFromBiomeCellData.GenerateTerrain (.World _world, .Chunk _chunk, System.Random _random) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ChunkProviderGenerateWorld.generateTerrain (.World _world, .Chunk _chunk, System.Random _random) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ChunkProviderGenerateWorld.DoGenerateChunks () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ChunkProviderGenerateWorld.thread_GenerateChunks (.ThreadInfo _threadInfo) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ThreadManager.V (System.Object ) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

UnityEngine.Debug:Internal_LogException(Exception, Object)

UnityEngine.Debug:LogException(Exception)

Logger:masterLogException(Exception)

Logger:Exception(Exception)

Log:Exception(Exception)

ThreadManager:V(Object)

(Filename: Line: -1)

2016-01-26T22:36:36 12448.188 INF Exited thread thread_GenerateChunks

I've found there was a discussion about a similiar issue HERE

So for now the only way to get Slaanhatten to an MP game is generating it with your code and then removing all your code completely form the rwgmixer. I believe it's some minor mistake in the code, but it's quite difficult for me to track it down, as I don't know the city hub creation mechanics well enough...

I've noticed this de-sync when i've had people connecting, one thing that springs to mind is some of the older prefab sections may need pulled thru the editor to fix any bugs/wierd air/density stuff and some of the freaky roads I've laid down with the mixer need tidied up. After that I'll back track thru the change log and see if I notice anything as this was not an issue in earlier version so I have a feeling it can be fixed as Im sure I've seen this before.

cheers for the heads up, before I wrap up the next version I'll make sure to test this some more.

After removing the code, the server can continue on fine with the generated hub?

So for now the only way to get Slaanhatten to an MP game is generating it with your code and then removing all your code completely form the rwgmixer. I believe it's some minor mistake in the code, but it's quite difficult for me to track it down, as I don't know the city hub creation mechanics well enough...

The first thing to check when you have custom hub errors is that all of the prefabs used in the custom hubs are included in at least one prefab_rule, even one that is not used for anything, as that is what creates the 'dictionary' of prefabs for the system to load and reference.

You sound sick!!

Anyway, your tutorial made it so easy that even an untrained, wild monkey could make it.

However I've spent nearly 2h looking for a suitable biome and testing different rwgmiser settings....

I've ended up with "iluvgrumpy" seed which is more or less acceptable (moderate temperature and somewhat flat surface).

Here's the rwgmixer.xml merging Magoli's pack and Slaanhatten.

Just checked through your mixer and all the custom hub prefabs are in a prefab_rule, so the other thing to check is that you have uploaded all of the required prefabs to the server, as I've seen that error when I've forgotten to copy prefabs before.

Also for desert biome, it might just be a coincidence that its actually a very low elevation city and the prefabs are hitting the bottom which stops them spawning

Just had a look through the slaanhattan prefab xml and there's a few with allowedbiomes = wasteland which would stop them spawning in a randomly allocated lot, but I dont think it matters for custom hubs. They also don't have allowedtownship set but once again shouldn't matter for custom hub.

Many are -35 yoffset so I think its possible to have a city that is a couple blocks too low for those to spawn (and one with -44) as I think the min height can be as low as -32.