A question regarding destruction

@faatal or anyone that may have the answer would be welcomed.

Does destruction, meaning felled trees, punched plants, destroyed blocks, add or decrease the cache size in the save?

Logical instant answer is decrease, but, i'm not so sure. Each model or block has a certain amount of memory allocated

for it so does the garbage collector or another monitor remove it periodically or does it stay the same or only increase

as you build?

I'm curious because of some modifications I have done, and because it seems that if there are only additions it could become

a memory regulator for limited console memory, or lower ram limits.

Thanks for the reply.

I did a mod for grass destruction, prior and it would glitch out after a certain amount of activity.

It answers my main question.

It would be nice if it lowered the overhead since there would be less in the world.

an example

In a cityscape chunk  of 40X40 if there are 4 buildings and random visual objects cataloged, and a player or players remove all blocks and objects

the only thing left is air blocks, and terrain. So does that also mean that even though you kill the entities their info is perpetual also. If not then if this

could be tied to garbage and removal of artifacts it might help with cpu\gpu load and memory management. sort of like the older format of individual files per

square division. Since airblocks are non interactive they could be set to null or 0 yes or no.

It also explains a few posts I read, about ghost buildings in the distance. If a scanner were set to the most recent active chunks, or most active it could

possibly lower load and increase performance in those areas. Or am I thinking incorrectly?

5 hours ago, 4sheetzngeegles said:

decrease the cache size in the save?

You're talking of a lot of things at once; file size, memory, cpu & gpu ... these are all differently affected by things.

Save files are essentially delta files; the world exists separately, and whatever you change in the world gets recorded in save files. The smallest file size is when you've not touched anything in the world. Save size makes very little difference in your game; it'll take a moment to load when entering a chunk, but that's it.

If you want to save on drawing load, you'll remove anything that can cause a shadow or a reflection  ... or drop your resolution.

If you want to save CPU on AI pathing, you remove everything the zeds can destroy, having flat terrain only so the AI routine runs the smoothest...

If you want to save memory, you remove all non-terrain blocks (or all blocks above bedrock, but I think terrain is "simplified" to only exist as the top layer) ..

Not that any of those are "actually good advice", just examples of different effects. For most optimizations "less is more" will always work, but you want stuff in your game. I just don't know what you're looking for..? :)

"Ghost buildings" .. the world outside of your loaded chunk is merely an automatically generated simple 3D image. If you delete a building, but don't update the image, the building will remain in the image, showing up in the world until you load the chunk with the building, replacing the image with the "reality". Updating the image is somewhat expensive, so I think the updating is off by default, except for land claim areas.

42 minutes ago, 4sheetzngeegles said:

Thanks for the reply.

I did a mod for grass destruction, prior and it would glitch out after a certain amount of activity.

It answers my main question.

I don't know this for certain, but I have a feeling grass or other biome decorations are different.  Those are not part of your actual map unless they are part of a POI or tile.  So I think removing those would actually reduce the save size until a chunk is reloaded and they are regenerated.

Think of it this way. The map was created with every object/material instanced. Once you remove that object instance, it has to insert a value to indicate a change from the OG map creation was made. The more changes you make.

A POI might have a very small value if it is a preset referenced elsewhere, but the moment you destroy part of that POI, the reference has to be modified. Ie the reference gets larger to account for the changes. The more references it has to log to ensure all players experience the same game world, the larger it will become.

Edited by warmer (see edit history)