Game locks up on exit

Since the release of 7 Days to Die 1.0, I have been having issues exiting the game. When I click exit game, the game freezes and does nothing. I end up having to use ctrl, alt, and delete to open the task manager so I can manually shut down the program.

Is this a known issue, and is there a fix planned for it? Is there anything that I can do to fix this issue?

While in the task manager it says that 7 Days to Die is using like 4,000+ MB of memory putting it into the "red" zone. Is this connected? I have 8 GB of memory in my PC.

I was hoping the latest Hot fix V1.1 B4, would fix this issue with the:

GameShuttingDown mod event

fix, but I guess this refers to something else.

Edited by Nyteshade12134 (see edit history)

Ok, tell me how to do that (find the log files and post them to Pastebin), or link to the post that says how to.

As usual, the issue has to be on the user's end. I did NOT have this issue BEFORE the game was updated. I used to be able to exit the game normally and return to steam. Now the game just locks up my computer on exit. But OBVIOUSLY it's something that has changed on my end right?

My 8 GB of memory was playing alpha 21 before the 1.0 update fine. 5,000+ hours of gameplay without issue but NOW something is wrong on my side.
And apparently, I am NOT the only user now having this issue.

How about some actual technical help and answers concerning the program that you all created (and modified), instead of telling us to paste log files, implying it's the user's faults. How many log files do you all need to identify what has caused this issue in the current build?

9 minutes ago, Nyteshade12134 said:

Ok, tell me how to do that (find the log files and post them to Pastebin), or link to the post that says how to.

It is literally Pinned at the top of this forum section, and the post tells you to read it before posting.

31 minutes ago, Nyteshade12134 said:

As usual, the issue has to be on the user's end. I did NOT have this issue BEFORE the game was updated. I used to be able to exit the game normally and return to steam. Now the game just locks up my computer on exit. But OBVIOUSLY it's something that has changed on my end right?

My 8 GB of memory was playing alpha 21 before the 1.0 update fine. 5,000+ hours of gameplay without issue but NOW something is wrong on my side.
And apparently, I am NOT the only user now having this issue.

How about some actual technical help and answers concerning the program that you all created (and modified), instead of telling us to paste log files, implying it's the user's faults. How many log files do you all need to identify what has caused this issue in the current build?

😕 It could be any number of things. A log file may lead to something that can be changed on our end to better support min-spec, or maybe you have an old mod or configuration throwing an error; none of this can be known without more information, I didn't blame you or the game, when I mentioned the memory, at the moment just being in a prefab in the poi editor the game is using a little over 4.1GB of ram, so if you only have 8 and you have a bunch of applications running, you likely have all your ram used up. Suggesting that is a quick potential solution to look for, but still a log file may lead to something that's going on.

Press F1 and click the open logs button on the top right, or enter this into windows key + r %appdata%/7daystodie/logs

43 minutes ago, Nyteshade12134 said:

Pastebin link:

You have directx errors in the log. There's a new driver for your GPU (475.14) on Nvidia's site. Try that and see if it helps.
Your low vram/ram would mean Windows is probably using swapfile space and the delay shutting down might be Windows
cleaning that up. If you're on a HDD it could take quite a while.

Edited by Beelzybub
grammar (see edit history)

Also ensure you have all the updates for your Windows, also the Visual C++ Redistributables, it looks like you may be missing something. This is also unfortunate, but your system no longer meets the minimal requirements: Windows 10 +, 2GB dedicated VRAM are the ones you're below. But, maybe we can get you running properly (at least it seems like you are, besides trying to exit)

Edited by Jugginator (see edit history)

4 hours ago, Jugginator said:

Also ensure you have all the updates for your Windows, also the Visual C++ Redistributables, it looks like you may be missing something. This is also unfortunate, but your system no longer meets the minimal requirements: Windows 10 +, 2GB dedicated VRAM are the ones you're below. But, maybe we can get you running properly (at least it seems like you are, besides trying to exit)

Could you provide a link to the Visual C++ Redistributables updates?

41 minutes ago, Nyteshade12134 said:

Updated/Repaired Visual C++ Redistributables.

Any other ideas? Should I increase the size of the swapfile (I assume you mean Pagefile), IF my RAM is too low?

Thank you @Jugginator

No problem. Eh....... that's a mixed bag to be honest. Typically, Unity will not like a custom page file and crash out. In your case, it cant hurt to try. Your GPU vram is a bigger killer, you're a GB behind.... but there's no harm in trying a custom page file. If you can swing it, you can get gpus that have way more vram in the sub/around $50 range now that the crypto crud has passed.

Absolutely disable everything in the background, add exclusions to anti virus software. Below min spec gaming is possible but it does require some work.

9 hours ago, Nyteshade12134 said:

Since the release of 7 Days to Die 1.0, I have been having issues exiting the game. When I click exit game, the game freezes and does nothing. I end up having to use ctrl, alt, and delete to open the task manager so I can manually shut down the program.

Is this a known issue, and is there a fix planned for it? Is there anything that I can do to fix this issue?

While in the task manager it says that 7 Days to Die is using like 4,000+ MB of memory putting it into the "red" zone. Is this connected? I have 8 GB of memory in my PC.

I was hoping the latest Hot fix V1.1 B4, would fix this issue with the:

GameShuttingDown mod event

fix, but I guess this refers to something else.

Just try to delete the "platform.cfg" file and the root directory of the game, if it helps then i can tell you what the problem is.

5 hours ago, Jugginator said:

but there's no harm in trying a custom page file.

Unless something in Unity has changed, setting a custom pagefile has a tendency to crash the client. Why? I dunno. You can set it to something crazy too like 32GB, and Unity will end up with an error checking for 8GB address space and crash the client.  I will admit that I haven't seen that issue in a while, but most players don't even know what the pagefile is also.  I guarantee this was an issue in at least Alpha 20. On Windows it basically has to be left at "system managed" or Unity will have problems.
Also note that this issue is mostly on Windows.  On Linux you just need to make sure Swap is 8GB or it will crash the server. Which is a little silly since the default for swap is 2GB.

Edited by SylenThunder (see edit history)