Functional pipes

4 minutes ago, Angel0fMayham25 said:

Functional pipes that bring water to your base and functional water tanks.

You probably have that for the pimp dreams section (for suggestions).  But this could be interesting if they add something like a water pump.  But it is probably somewhat challenging.  They didn't even make the gas lines functional.  They just have a single section that flames.  Of course, that doesn't mean it can't be done regardless of difficulty.

49 minutes ago, Angel0fMayham25 said:

I think it would be really cool and useful, especially when your nowhere near water. 

I think they would only work near water.  It wouldn't know if it was complete in unloaded chunks, so wouldn't work that way.  Unless they find some option for that.

24 minutes ago, Riamus said:

Unless they find some option for that.

The electrical system is already "chunk-independent".. your gennie can be unloaded and still power your lights just fine (based on a way old test I saw on youtube, but I assume it at least was correct for the patch..). As a water-pipe system could reasonably require a powered pump, it might be a natural fit into the electric system and thus benefit from that feature.

Then again, I don't really know what is being asked for, a lake-based Dew Collector -replacement? Would just a "drill well" in your own backyard suffice? Building a massive chain of "realistic" pipes across the landscape to bring in water sounds like a project I might do once; but even that I doubt. Easier to move the base to the lake :)

47 minutes ago, theFlu said:

The electrical system is already "chunk-independent".. your gennie can be unloaded and still power your lights just fine (based on a way old test I saw on youtube, but I assume it at least was correct for the patch..). As a water-pipe system could reasonably require a powered pump, it might be a natural fit into the electric system and thus benefit from that feature.

Then again, I don't really know what is being asked for, a lake-based Dew Collector -replacement? Would just a "drill well" in your own backyard suffice? Building a massive chain of "realistic" pipes across the landscape to bring in water sounds like a project I might do once; but even that I doubt. Easier to move the base to the lake :)

Maybe that works, though it's surprising if it does.  You could break it anywhere in between and have it still work.  It would have to track states of the entire network whenever a chunk being used is activated to see if it's still connected.  That is a really hacky design, though.  It would probably be better to just have it only work within the loaded chunks.  That wouldn't hurt anything as the loaded chunks cover a decent area.

5 minutes ago, Riamus said:

You could break it anywhere in between and have it still work.

You'd have to be in an active chunk to break it, and whatever changes would be applied normally. Hacky, maybe, but for electricity it's somewhat necessary; it's quite easy to cover long distances with the relays, and the system could end up in weird states if it loaded in parts as you approach your base.

3 hours ago, theFlu said:

You'd have to be in an active chunk to break it, and whatever changes would be applied normally. Hacky, maybe, but for electricity it's somewhat necessary; it's quite easy to cover long distances with the relays, and the system could end up in weird states if it loaded in parts as you approach your base.

Well, you just wouldn't have lights or powered stuff until the generator was loaded is all.  Not really a big deal.  But you have a point that you can easily have long stretches of electricity.  We had a 1km tunnel once that was lit up, so there is definite value there.

5 hours ago, Riamus said:

Well, you just wouldn't have lights or powered stuff until the generator was loaded is all.

Your automated doors wouldn't open and you defenses wouldn't fire. That'd be a big deal for trying to keep your generators safe, or immersively at the nearest HE Power Station :)

It would be nice if there were stations for power, water, etc that we could unlock.

Kinda like Dying Light 2 (I know, I hate that game, original was so much better...but it had some cool stuff).

I would really love the UV light safehouse mechanic too, even though I know we will never see it in 7DTD.

Actually there's a lot of features I wish we had. DL & 7DTD need to have a baby together...

4 hours ago, theFlu said:

Your automated doors wouldn't open and you defenses wouldn't fire. That'd be a big deal for trying to keep your generators safe, or immersively at the nearest HE Power Station :)

But how often are doors and defenses tied into a generator that is far enough away not to be loaded by the time you're close enough that you need the doors to open or that zombies start spawning?  As I said, I did make a along tunnel that I put lights in, so it can be needed, though if it didn't work, you could just put generators within the necessary distance, which isn't a difficult thing to do.  But it works, so it doesn't really matter.

1 minute ago, Riamus said:

But how often are doors and defenses tied into a generator that is far enough away not to be loaded by the time you're close enough that you need the doors to open or that zombies start spawning? 

Having ran into a literal chunk-load edge in the past on a motorbike.. not often, but often enough :D No, it wouldn't be a huge deal, and you'd just place your gennies right next to your important equipment (or extra battery banks for chunk-loading-UPS :) ). It might also just be a happy coincidence, the electric logic needs to be a functional net sort-of outside the block system (given how wires work, there needs to be a connection network implemented outside the block-space); and as that was built, it makes sense to load the entire network whenever you need it (or if light enough, just keep it in memory...)