WalkerSim 2 (Beta)

ZehMatt

I have a question if you don't mind answering it.

As the game progresses, the player level and gamestage 

increases. In the original game and in most of the overhaul

mods, the player encounters tougher or more powerful Zeds depending 

on the gamestage.  Does this mod consider this ?  Asking this

considering the X number of Zeds spawning in the beginning

of the game only.

Edited by Ganeshakw (see edit history)

On 8/26/2024 at 12:18 PM, Ganeshakw said:

of the game only.

I believe that only applies to zombies spawned during the blood moon, I might be mistaken on that. It currently uses the biome data which uses entitygroups.xml and they don't really specify what game stage must be set.

On 8/26/2024 at 11:18 AM, Ganeshakw said:

of the game only.

Afaik normal spawns and POI sleepers use biome spawn rates and since biomes are in order of difficulty (forest being lowest and wasteland being highest (trader progression is based on this biome progression)) and progression players usually end up in higher difficulty biomes as their gamestage goes up. Making it seem like they correlate.

But I assume as in this mod they actually move around vs just spawning out of thin air it makes it so that any combo of groups can appear.

I just released a new update.

Changelog

0.9-beta.8

• IMPORTANT: The configuration MaxAgents is now replaced by PopulationDensity to better support multiple world sizes with a single configuration. The new configuration specifies how many agents per square kilometer, so the total amount of agents will be square kilometers multiplied by density, for example having density set to 160 and playing on a 6k map will be 6 x 6 x 160 which will be 5760 agents in total.
  • A lot of fixes to the viewer. If you don't see any Worlds in the Viewer that means it failed to detect your 7 Days to Die Install, I will fix this in the next version.
  • A couple bug fixes in the mod.
  • Added new movement processors and re-organized them, existing configurations will probably no longer function correctly. 
  • Added walkersim stats console commands to print some information.

Download

You can download the latest version from Releases · ZehMatt/7dtd-WalkerSim2 (github.com)

NOTE

I highly recommend to first play with the provided WalkerSim.xml configuration before you attempt to create your own or modify the provided one. I think the default configuration works quite well for the pre-generated worlds provided by the game, I also don't want to directly overwhelm the player, while there is a lot of freedom to customize a lot my primary goal is to have a somewhat realistic scenario of wandering zombies and not a simulation of Tokyo at the busy hours.

I will also update the first post some time later, due to the Discord link it will end up hidden and requires approval from the moderators.

I can't recommend this mod enough.  It makes it very exciting.  Yes, it is harder.  Yes, you will have to change how you play.

...but isn't that what mods are for?

Not every mod has to add super weapons that make things easier by giving free skill points and an added backpack.

Some mods are actually meant to be fun. :)

1 hour ago, Guppycur said:

I can't recommend this mod enough.  It makes it very exciting.  Yes, it is harder.  Yes, you will have to change how you play.

...but isn't that what mods are for?

Not every mod has to add super weapons that make things easier by giving free skill points and an added backpack.

Some mods are actually meant to be fun. :)

Ha yeh me to. Players ask for more challenge to their world i suggest this mod first up.

Love how this has turned out!
Thanks a lot for the continued work.

I saw where you said that wandering/random horde spawning was basically disabled to incorporate how your mod works, but you said if they were added they would be used (the other mod) when you get close and the walkersim spawns them in.

So to clarify on two points...
1.) If you add a bunch of creature packs that adds things to various spawn tables (night, downtown, wastelandnight, forest, feralhordes, badass, etc), then they are still stored in the data tables and the WalkerSim will spawn them appropriately when nearby (night tables for night time, desertnight for in the desert at night, and bosses when appropriate)? Right?

2.) When you said it disables all spawn... does this mean special "gotcha"/trap spawns too? Like police cars/alarm spawns, air drop spawns, weather spawns (if that's still a thing with storms), buried treasure spawns, quest related spawns? Also, the POI difficulty, a tier 6+ building will still have appropriate mobs and they will spawn when close too, right? (I think I saw something about sleeper spawns being disabled/removed?).

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, LordSoth01 said:

Love how this has turned out!
Thanks a lot for the continued work.

I saw where you said that wandering/random horde spawning was basically disabled to incorporate how your mod works, but you said if they were added they would be used (the other mod) when you get close and the walkersim spawns them in.

So to clarify on two points...
1.) If you add a bunch of creature packs that adds things to various spawn tables (night, downtown, wastelandnight, forest, feralhordes, badass, etc), then they are still stored in the data tables and the WalkerSim will spawn them appropriately when nearby (night tables for night time, desertnight for in the desert at night, and bosses when appropriate)? Right?

2.) When you said it disables all spawn... does this mean special "gotcha"/trap spawns too? Like police cars/alarm spawns, air drop spawns, weather spawns (if that's still a thing with storms), buried treasure spawns, quest related spawns? Also, the POI difficulty, a tier 6+ building will still have appropriate mobs and they will spawn when close too, right? (I think I saw something about sleeper spawns being disabled/removed?).

It replaces only the wandering hordes, the mod still adheres the biome data, so its just like the vanilla wandering hordes except many more and more realistic.

Edited by ZehMatt
Typo (see edit history)

So i have been using beta 7 for the last 2 weeks and i got a wild hair to start messing with the configs to see if i could make it more my likeing. it works good on beta 7 but when i update to beta 8 even fresh it dont work. same map. i have reverted back to beta 7 for now. i dont have a log but i can get one i just wanted to let u know if there is a way for me to get data for u let me know.

8 hours ago, kuktar said:

So i have been using beta 7 for the last 2 weeks and i got a wild hair to start messing with the configs to see if i could make it more my likeing. it works good on beta 7 but when i update to beta 8 even fresh it dont work. same map. i have reverted back to beta 7 for now. i dont have a log but i can get one i just wanted to let u know if there is a way for me to get data for u let me know.

If I had to guess you used the old config file, with the latest version I changed some fields in the configuration so best try with config shipped in the release and adjust your needs from there.

1 hour ago, ZehMatt said:

If I had to guess you used the old config file, with the latest version I changed some fields in the configuration so best try with config shipped in the release and adjust your needs from there.

im going to double check. i did a fresh install of beta 8 just to be sure. one thing in my testing i have noticed is kind of odd. im going to clip u a video of it. with the default density of 160 it works fine but if i go to 161 or higher density it freaks out massivly. give me a sec to clip it for u

ok i ended up making a very long winded video wich i will only post if its helpful but using the walkersim.exe to set up a configuration file on any random world generated map it freaks out above 161. if i use any of the shipped / built in maps it seems to work fine. maybe its another of my mods messing with it :(

so i noticed no matter what my settings this is always what the log shows

2024-09-05T06:45:26 145.424 INF [WalkerSim] Initialized Simulation World, World Size: (-4096, -4096, 0), (4096, 4096, 255); Agents: 10738

it always says that. my world is 8k and my density is set to 160

ok so ignor anything i asked before this post.

First off THANK YOU FOR SUCH A GREAT MOD.

Secondly i have solved all my problems by adding 1 very simple step to my server.

i am not entirely sure if this is even a good idea to do but in my appdata roaming files there is a file called walkersim.bin

if i make changes to my configuration file nothing seems to apply when i start my server. BUT if i delete that file after making configuration changes then PRESTO my new settings are in effect upon logon to the server.

im guessing that walkersim.bin file is the actual simulation and it has all the agents that were saved from previous configurations saved and until they are removed ie:by killing them or somthing then the new agents do not spawn with the new settings?

thats just my guess but i would absolutely love to know why deleting that walkersim.bin seems to work in my case. im hoping it does not break anything, it just makes a new file when i start the server anyhow.

ok now i can start the zombie appocolyps my way with walkers everywere to make my day hell. thanks if u managed to read this far. i would suggest if its not mod breaking to put deleting the walkersim.bin into instructions for making changes to settings 😛 it might help some other people i saw that said they want 90k agents becuase 30k max wasnt enough for them but i am guessing if they delete that file and start there game then 30k agents will absolutely ruin there day lol

2 hours ago, kuktar said:

so i noticed no matter what my settings this is always what the log shows

2024-09-05T06:45:26 145.424 INF [WalkerSim] Initialized Simulation World, World Size: (-4096, -4096, 0), (4096, 4096, 255); Agents: 10738

it always says that. my world is 8k and my density is set to 160

after deleting the walkersim.bin the log file with density set to 100 shows 

2024-09-05T09:05:43 95.639 INF [WalkerSim] Initialized Simulation World, World Size: (-4096, -4096, 0), (4096, 4096, 255); Agents: 6711

finaly an amount diffrent than 10738

this is all starting to get me excited!

2 hours ago, MrSamuelAdams said:

What would be a max number you would be comfortable with on an 8k map? 

I'm used to high respawning zombies and want to try this but still make it difficult. 200?

remember the setting is density so it would be an additional 200 zombies per a squar kilometer. it entirely depends on how many ppl are playing and the way you config. if left default movment processers and single player than 200 will be brutal!

I have a feature request. Would it be possible to add weights to the groups to change and determine the amount of agents each group has. for instance im using walker sim 2 in order to create wandering hordes but also hordes that stick to roads and then also hordes that patrol pois. 

as it stands i am just creating duplicate groups of the ones i want more zombies/agents in but it would be cool not to have such a messy and long configuration file 😛

also it would be super cool if in the zip file you added some example configes for ppl who dont want to dive into setting up the movment processors. i think both features would really help make this mod even better

17 hours ago, kuktar said:

I have a feature request. Would it be possible to add weights to the groups to change and determine the amount of agents each group has. for instance im using walker sim 2 in order to create wandering hordes but also hordes that stick to roads and then also hordes that patrol pois. 

as it stands i am just creating duplicate groups of the ones i want more zombies/agents in but it would be cool not to have such a messy and long configuration file 😛

also it would be super cool if in the zip file you added some example configes for ppl who dont want to dive into setting up the movment processors. i think both features would really help make this mod even better

Yeah I think I could look into that, right now its just evenly distributed.

I also have a feature request.

Currently, population replenishes at the borders of the map and wanders all over it from there, right?  I really like that.  But this also means zombies that spawned in any biome can be encountered anywhere on the map?  This can lead to some special insanity when running with mods that have heavily specialized biome spawns, especially extra difficult wastelands.

Could there be a group behavior flag for weighting zombie's preference for staying within the biome they spawned in?  Same as the flags that set their preference for following roads and grouping up and such?

Also, is there a list of variables anywhere for customizing the xml?  Maybe this already exists and I just don't know?

On 9/10/2024 at 8:58 PM, SalmonGod said:

I also have a feature request.

Currently, population replenishes at the borders of the map and wanders all over it from there, right?  I really like that.  But this also means zombies that spawned in any biome can be encountered anywhere on the map?  This can lead to some special insanity when running with mods that have heavily specialized biome spawns, especially extra difficult wastelands.

Could there be a group behavior flag for weighting zombie's preference for staying within the biome they spawned in?  Same as the flags that set their preference for following roads and grouping up and such?

Also, is there a list of variables anywhere for customizing the xml?  Maybe this already exists and I just don't know?

I currently don't load the biome data into the simulation so I would need to implement that first, it is on my todo list, there is also the request to have an image that defines what zombies will spawn instead of relying on the games biome data. Currently busy with some other things so not sure when I'll do that.