Expanded Weapons and Tools

Valmar

Expanded ammo and the expanded weapons/tools definitely still work. I use them in my Valmod Overhaul and Valmod Expansion Pack. Even my Classic Horde Survival mod uses them to some extent.

Personally I recommend using the expansion pack instead of individual mods. It adds all my new features without changing the vanilla experience. Much easier to install since its just a drag and drop.

Anyway my offer stands - send me a zip file of your config folder and I'll find out the problem.

Thats very kind of you, but now everything seems to work. The third install seem to do the trix :)

I have no idea why those errors was generated but I think it was some other mods Im using, and your mods worked perfectly :)

Its me again ;)

I installed and 3 players have used it on a server. A few things.

1. Vanilla stock/grip parts disappear/get moved to tool-belt when trying to assemble a silent/chocked version when I dont have a schematic for the vanilla gun, and dont have the silencer. Im not sure why, but maybe it have something to do with that the silent guns dont need schematic but the vanilla guns need? ofc can be something I have done wrong..

2. Im trying to do some tweaks for Noise, Range and Accuracy for the new guns, but I can't find a setting for this in your files so Im clueless in how to change those settings. Anyway, if you could be so kind to point to what I need to to edit I would appreciate it?

3. Im going to make schematics for the new guns that you did not include. And I wonder if it possible to add a level requirement to any of the new guns so they only get available later in the game, or so that the schematic only is able to find/readable after the similar vanilla gun schematic is read?

Thanks in advanced for any help.

Its me again ;)

I installed and 3 players have used it on a server. A few things.

1. Vanilla stock/grip parts disappear/get moved to tool-belt when trying to assemble a silent/chocked version when I dont have a schematic for the vanilla gun. Im not sure why, but maybe it have something to do with that the silent guns dont need schematic but the vanilla guns need? ofc can be something I have done wrong..

2. Im trying to do some tweaks for Noise, Range and Accuracy for the new guns, but I can't find a setting for this in your files so Im clueless in how to change those settings. Anyway, if you could be so kind to point to what I need to to edit I would appreciate it?

3. Im going to make schematics for the new guns that you did not include. And I wonder if it possible to add a level requirement to any of the new guns so they only get available later in the game, or so that the schematic only is able to find/readable after the similar vanilla gun schematic is read?

Thanks in advanced for any help.

1. If you added the silenced guns to the appropriate books then they should be locked.

2. Noise is tricky. Its handled in the sound.xml but Im not sure what values do what.

If you want to increase range I believe what you need to add is this to the Action0 class;

<property name="Range" value="500" />

My silenced guns extend from the vanilla ones with the only difference being the sound file when fired and a part change (silencer).

Accuracy is handled by the part's attributes. For example with the partsPistol_parts the accuracy is in the attributes.

<item id="212" name="partsPistol_parts">

<property name="Extends" value="partsMaster" />

<property name="DescriptionKey" value="partsPistolGroupDesc"/>

<property name="PartType" value="Pump" />

<property name="Weight" value="10" />

<property class="Attributes">

<property name="Accuracy" value="1,0.01" />

<property name="DegradationMax" value="700,4000" />

</property>

</item>

I'm not sure what the accuracy value really does, however, if I'm being honest.

3. I didn't include schematics because I expected the player to add these recipes to the existing relevant gun schematics. So pistolBook unlocks both versions of the gun. In example:

<item id="921" name="pistolBook">

<property name="Extends" value="schematicMaster" />

<property class="Action1">

<property name="Recipes_to_learn" value="gunPistol,gunPistolSilenced" />

<property name="Skills_to_gain" value="Gun Smithing" />

</property>

</item>

As for locking it behind a level... Yes its possible if you use perks. But thats a tad more indepth and more complicated. Not immensely so but still.

My Valmod Pack does that, both Expansion and Overhaul versions. You could check out how I did it there if you're interested.

Thanks for quick reply again, that was helpful. it was written a little to fast so sorry for that. Im trying to find the exact settings in your mod to make some changes.

If you want to increase range I believe what you need to add is this to the Action0 class;

<property name="Range" value="500" />

how can I do this in the scopegun part from your mod? what does 70, 250 mean, min range 70, max range 250?

</item>

<item id="1602" name="gunScope">

<property name="Extends" value="partsSniperRifle_receiver" />

<property name="DescriptionKey" value="partsScopeDesc"/>

<property name="FalloffRange" value="70,250" />

</property>

</item>

and what about this? Here you add a range stat and at the same time it use the scopegun part above with range? Im sorry but I have problem putting this all together.

<item id="1613" name="gunSniperRifleHPScope">

<property name="CustomIcon" value="gunSniperRifle" />

<property name="Extends" value="gunSniperRifle" />

<property name="DescriptionKey" value="gunSniperRifleHPScopeDesc"/>

<property class="Parts">

<property name="Receiver" value="gunScope" />

</property>

<property class="Action0">

<property name="Range" value="300" />

</property>

<property name="Class" value="Zoom" />

<property name="Zoom_overlay" value="Items/Weapons/HUD/sniper_zoom_overlay" />

<property name="Zoom_max_out" value="40" />

<property name="Zoom_max_in" value="10" />

</property>

</item>

My silenced guns extend from the vanilla ones with the only difference being the sound file when fired and a part change (silencer).

After some research I found out that also, but then I wonder what setting that changes all silent weapon noise range to 10 meter. You say part change, is it any of this settings from the gunsielnce part?

<property name="Weight" value="10" /> or

<property name="DegradationRate" value="10,10" />

<item id="1600" name="gunSilencer">

<property name="DescriptionKey" value="partsSilencerDesc"/>

<property name="PartType" value="Stock" />

</property>

</item>

This are the only thing with value 10 in this gun part, but I have tried to change this settings and it have no effect. What setting in your mod changed noise range to 10 meter?

I would prefer a setting of 10 to 30 meter noise range as a random number so players get different stats and have to look more for the good stuff.

Also do you have any idea if possible to add negative entity damage effect for silencer?, If possible, where exactly can I add/change this for the silenced guns/gun part in your mod?

Sorry about all this questions, but Im just trying to understand and improve the game for some friends.

how can I do this in the scopegun part from your mod? what does 70, 250 mean, min range 70, max range 250?

</item>

<item id="1602" name="gunScope">

<property name="Extends" value="partsSniperRifle_receiver" />

<property name="DescriptionKey" value="partsScopeDesc"/>

<property name="FalloffRange" value="70,250" />

</property>

</item>

and what about this? Here you add a range stat and at the same time it use the scopegun part above with range? Im sorry but I have problem putting this all together.

<item id="1613" name="gunSniperRifleHPScope">

<property name="CustomIcon" value="gunSniperRifle" />

<property name="Extends" value="gunSniperRifle" />

<property name="DescriptionKey" value="gunSniperRifleHPScopeDesc"/>

<property class="Parts">

</property>

<property class="Action0">

<property name="Range" value="300" />

</property>

<property name="Zoom_overlay" value="Items/Weapons/HUD/sniper_zoom_overlay" />

<property name="Zoom_max_out" value="40" />

<property name="Zoom_max_in" value="10" />

</property>

</item>

FalloffRange attribute I don't believe is the same thing as the range value. Though I never really messed with the falloffrange to see what it does. I think it determines from what distance the bullet starts to drop... but I could be wrong. Again, never messed with it. Either way the two are different properties. One is an attribute is one is part of the Action0.

The gun I gave a larger range because I found I wasn't able ot hit targets I was zoomed in on from a distance, which defeated the purpose of the the scope.

After some research I found out that also, but then I wonder what setting that changes all silent weapon noise range to 10 meter. You say part change, is it any of this settings from the gunsielnce part?

<property name="Weight" value="10" /> or

Clarification: When I said "part change" what I was referring to is that my silenced gun specifically adds a the silencer to the parts class.

<property class="Parts">

</property>

If you want to change the range that the sound travels it doesn't have anything to do with weight or degradationrate. Things associated with the sound is in the sounds.xml - this mod doesn't touch that.

This are the only thing with value 10 in this gun part, but I have tried to change this settings and it have no effect. What setting in your mod changed noise range to 10 meter?

I would prefer a setting of 10 to 30 meter noise range as a random number so players get different stats and have to look more for the good stuff.

DegradationRate is how much the health of the weapon degrades per shot. There might be a misunderstanding here. Nothing in my mod changed the noise range. All I did was tell the gun to use a different sound file when fired. It uses the sound effect of hitting cloth.

As far as I know there is no way to add a variable noise range such as 10-30. Its a static number assigned to the sound in sounds.xml

However I have never messed in that file so I might be mistaken.

Also do you have any idea if possible to add negative entity damage effect for silencer?, If possible, where exactly can I add/change this for the silenced guns/gun part in your mod?

I don't think there is a direct way to do that. But you can get the same effect, I believe.

Add this to the action0 of the silenced gun:

<property name="DamageBonus.body" value="0.9" />

That would make the gun deal only 90% of its damage if you hit the zombie in the body. Headshots will still deal the same amount of damage (Though that can be changed too)

That would be the easiest way to do it.

• 3 weeks later...

I've installed this mod as described. I can assemble silenced weapons, etc. Have not tried finding new loot items.

Problem: I broke crafting :/

When I press tab to open inventory and crafting menu, the crafting area is blank. Window is still the same, but where all the items you can craft appear, no items are listed.

As best I can guess, problem is in recipes.xml. Crafting menu appears normally whenever recipes is vanilla, breaks when modded coding has been edited in.

I've tried fixing the formatting (the code download had spaces and weird formatting) and even adding the new items in proper alphabetical locations, no success.

Suggestions?

Share your recipes.xml with pastebin and I'll see what the problem is, if its related.

Could be something in the items.xml too, of course.

When you start up the game open the console with the ~ key then scroll up. You should see a red error message telling you what went wrong.

Hi Valmar, I've been playing on a server with your mod again and as usual it's awesome. Can you tell me which book I would need in order to repair Iron tools? I have all my skills up and most of my books but I am STILL unable to repair a silly iron pick and yes i have the mats in my inventory that I need. I've got 1500 hours in this game so I've covered all the obvious stuff.

thanks for your help!

Tah

You say you've been playing on a server with my mod. Do you mean Valmod? Do you know if its expansion pack or overhaul? What version is it on?

The answer to your question though is that it isn't a book you're looking for it. Its a perk. All the recipes in Valmod Pack are unlocked with perks. Search for the Pickaxe perk.

You say you've been playing on a server with my mod. Do you mean Valmod? Do you know if its expansion pack or overhaul? What version is it on?

The answer to your question though is that it isn't a book you're looking for it. Its a perk. All the recipes in Valmod Pack are unlocked with perks. Search for the Pickaxe perk.

We are using the Valmod expansion pack. And the interesting thing is. I don't have a pick axe perk. That's what I figured it was in the beginning so I put points in everything that it could possibly be. But I don't have anything that says Pick, Axe, pickaxe in my perks. Our admins gave me the admin book which I read and I'm able to repair now, but I still would like to know what it was, he didn't know unfortunately. It wasn't only my pick either it was ANY tool made out of Iron I was unable to repair it.

In the Expansion pack, just as in vanilla, the pickaxe is not locked behind any perk or book.

It sounds to me that you have the Overhaul installed on your client but are playing on an expansion server. That could potentially be the cause of the problems as you have conflicting progressions.

• 3 months later...
i am having issues with the modifications. When I try to start up my world, I get a stream of Null Reference Exceptions. Anything that I am obviously doing wrong here?

Could be anything. Probably the loot.xml was added wrong or maybe the items code was not added at the bottom of the items.xml above the </items> line.

Hard to say without seeing your config folder to examine those files directly to see where you went wrong.

Mod still works fine though.

• 1 month later...

Valmar, thanks for the great addition first of all!

I also had something similar to what Deathwish mentioned - null references and other errors stopping the game from loading when it starts parsing Items.xml. Thankfully it included a cryptic message about _bulletTip in one of my errors (don't remember now).

For me, it ended up being your Hollow Tip item. I'm on Alpha 15.2 (not sure if that matters or not). I was also never able to figure out why, but my game did not like the extension of bulletTip for some reason - I can't even do it myself separately. So, I couldn't get this code to work at all:

<item id="1646" name="HollowTip">

<property name="Extends" value="bulletTip" />

<property name="DescriptionKey" value="HollowTipDesc"/>

</item>

In my case, I just copied the bulletTip contents into your new HollowTip and everything worked fine after that:

<property name="Meshfile" value="Items/Misc/sackPrefab" />

<property name="DropMeshfile" value="Items/Misc/sack_droppedPrefab" />

<property name="Material" value="lead" />

<property name="HoldType" value="45" />

<property name="Stacknumber" value="500" />

<property name="EconomicValue" value="25" />

<property name="EconomicBundleSize" value="5" />

<property name="Group" value="Resources,Ammo/Weapons" />

<property name="CraftingSkillGroup" value="Gun Smithing"/>

</item>

I'm not sure why the game had an issue with extending bulletTip to HollowTip. Before finding your mods, I've done a lot of my own personal customization, including extending items, and never had an issue. I hadn't touched anything with weapons or ammo before though. And extends done in other parts of your mod(s) don't have an issue either. It's just this one item.

So, baffling, but maybe will help someone else. Or if you have any ideas, let me know.

Lastly, I tweaked your combat axe to function as both a killing axe and wood chopping axe - made completely of steel to match your icon, and because I just didn't want two axes on my hotbar :). It's tied to one new skill and one new perk. So, rather than benefiting from the existing skills and perks, the combat axe has its own skill/perk tree. You have to use the combat axe itself to increase the skill (just like a weapon or tool), but in this case using it against entities or blocks increases both the entity and block damage it deals. Then, you can buy the related perk level at different skill level intervals (20/40/60/etc.), which adds additional bonuses to entity and block damage, as well as reducing stamina and increasing the decap chance. The base weapon has been modified slightly to reduce it's base states so that everything balances out to be similar to the end game attributes of the spiked club and steel fireaxe.

In the end, your original combat axe becomes available with steel smithing like now, but starts as a low/mid tier grade weapon and tool combo. As you use it, it levels up to become an end game weapon/tool with the same type of bonuses as something like Pummel Pete plus Miner 69er (as an example). You can essentially use it to replace both the spiked club and steel fireaxe. If you are interested in the changes for your Valmod pack, let me know.

By the way (waiting for my first post to be approved), I realized I forgot to mention a very important point. I'm speaking about the combination of this mod with the ammo mod when talking about the Null references I experienced. Because I put the two together at the same time, I thought Deathwish and others may have also - hence the post here. Sorry for any confusion.

Valmar, thanks for the great addition first of all!

</item>

In my case, I just copied the bulletTip contents into your new HollowTip and everything worked fine after that:

</item>

Cool stuff dude.

I too recently was attempting create new bullet tips. I didn't know at the time that this was a thing already, I only found out the other night when I noticed during one of gamez4kickz modded episodes that he got some Hollow Tip Rounds from a treasure chest (i think thats where he got them). Love the icon for those by the way. I didn't get the new tips I made to work correctly, for some reason It was like my firearms are shooting blanks. I made 2 new tips, HollowPoint & Incendiary, and 2 new rounds 9mmHollow & 9mmIncendiary, was able to load the rounds in the chamber I could even fire them, but the zeds weren't taking ANY damage lol. Not entirely sure what I did wrong with the Hollow as I didn't really change any setting to begin with, but the Incendiary I was experimenting with adding the Flame buff (like in fire arrow), and small explosion (modded rocket properties, not sure if Ranged or Projectile value is the issue, tried both). I was expecting Incendiary to have issues but not Hollow.

I thought Id mention it because I too had issue's (seemingly) with the bulletTip item, at least at first. Tho my issue was lightly different because I wasn't extending the item (at least if I remember correctly lol).

Anyway, to the OP I just wondered if perhaps you had incorporated something like Incendiary rounds into your mod? And if so if you'd be willing to shed some light on why my version isn't working!? ^^

Heres' the code I tried, as said both Ranged and Projectile values were tried with no change. The bullets fire but don't hit. Any help greatly appreciated! Thanks for reading.

<item id="1508" name="9mmHollowPointBullet">
<property name="Meshfile" value="Items/Weapons/Ranged/Pistol/9mm_bulletPrefab" />
<property name="Material" value="brass" />
<property name="CustomIcon" value="9mmBullet" />
<property name="CustomIconTint" value="40,40,180" />		
<property name="HoldType" value="21" />
<property name="EconomicValue" value="17" />
<property name="Group" value="Ammo/Weapons" />
</item>

<item id="1509" name="9mmIncendiaryBullet">
<property name="Meshfile" value="Items/Weapons/Ranged/Pistol/9mm_bulletPrefab" />
<property name="CustomIcon" value="9mmBullet" />
<property name="CustomIconTint" value="180,40,40" />	
<property name="EconomicValue" value="20" />
	<property name="GetQualityFromWeapon" value="true" />
	<property name="EntityDamage" value="250,500" />
	<property name="BlockDamage" value="50,200" /> 
	<property name="ApplyBuff" value="1, 1" param1="burning" />
</property>
	<property name="Class" value="Projectile" />
	<property name="Explosion.ParticleIndex" value="4" /> 
	<property name="Explosion.RadiusBlocks" value="1" /> 
	<property name="Explosion.BlockDamage" value="300" /> 
	<property name="Explosion.RadiusEntities" value="1" /> 
	<property name="Explosion.EntityDamage" value="150" /> 
	<property name="Velocity" value="50" />
	<property name="FlyTime" value="1.2" />
	<property name="LifeTime" value="8" />
</property>	
</item>

<item id="1351" name="hollowPointBulletTip">
<property name="CustomIcon" value="bulletTip" />
<property name="CustomIconTint" value="40,40,180" />		
<property name="EconomicValue" value="35" />
</item>
<item id="1352" name="incendiaryBulletTip">
<property name="CustomIcon" value="bulletTip" />
<property name="CustomIconTint" value="180,40,40" />	
<property name="Stacknumber" value="250" /> 
<property name="EconomicValue" value="50" />
</item>

<recipe name="9mmHollowPointBullet" count="1" craft_area="workbench">
<ingredient name="hollowPointBulletTip" count="1"/>
<ingredient name="gunPowder" count="1"/>
<ingredient name="bulletCasing" count="1"/>
</recipe>
<recipe name="9mmIncendiaryBullet" count="1" craft_area="workbench">
<ingredient name="incendiaryBulletTip" count="1"/>
<ingredient name="gunPowder" count="1"/>
<ingredient name="bulletCasing" count="1"/>
</recipe>

<recipe name="hollowPointBulletTip" count="1" craft_area="forge" craft_tool="calipers" material_based="true">
<!-- tbd -->
   <ingredient name="lead" count="2"/>
<ingredient name="clay" count="1"/>
</recipe>
<recipe name="incendiaryBulletTip" count="1" craft_area="forge" craft_tool="toolAndDieSet" material_based="true">
<ingredient name="lead" count="2"/>
<ingredient name="clay" count="1"/>
</recipe>

EDIT: Just found this relative thread https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?58571-Adding-New-Ammo/page2

I got the same blanks problem man.

@Valmar, I tried it in different locations. Technically (and that's a broad "technically" because the XML's are a bit buggy at times), it shouldn't matter as long as the IDs are in the right order (and of course unique, all of which you already know). In fact, I've done my own stuff in various places in the XML files, above, below, etc. and as long as the IDs were in the right order, I haven't had any issues in Alpha 15.1 and 2. But nothing I do gets the extension on the bulletTip to work - should work fine, but just doesn't for me. Like I said, not a big deal, just wanted you to know that this was something I ran across in case others experience the NULL references and errors and are doing everything you asked and come up short - maybe it's this little guy acting up for them also. Not sure why it works for some and not others, but it is the nature of this particular beast (alpha game) it seems :)

@Dicey, I'll read your two posts more in depth this evening when I have some more time and then reply back. Thanks!

usually when you are shooting blanks it's the gun setup or something along those lines....

these are what mine look like:

<item id="1635" name="9mmBulletHP">

<property name="Extends" value="9mmBullet" />

<property name="DescriptionKey" value="BulletHPDesc"/>

<property name="EntityDamage" value="6,8" />

<property name="BlockDamage" value="4,5" />

<property name="ApplyBuff" value="0.7,0.7" param1="stunned" />

</property>

</item>

and i think you might be confused (or not)

Bullet Tip is the Tip of the bullet which requires a Recipe to make siad bullet

</item>

<recipe name="HollowTip" count="1" craft_time="xxxxx" craft_area="XXXXXX" craft_tool="XXXXXXXX" material_based="true">

<ingredient name="unit_lead" count="2"/>

<ingredient name="unit_clay" count="2"/>

</recipe>

<recipe name="9mmBulletHP" count="xxxx" scrapable="True" craft_time="xxxxxx" craft_area="xxxxxxx" craft_tool="xxxxxxxx" >

<ingredient name="HollowTip" count="xxxx" />

<ingredient name="gunPowder" count="xxxxx"/>

<!--<ingredient name="bulletCasing" count="1"/>-->

<ingredient name="9mmBulletCasing" count="xxxx" />

</recipe>

@CHUD (is that right name?):

I think he's got the tip idea right in general - he's just using the tips to introduce the complexity of the crafting (caliper requirements vs. tool/die set, etc.). Not sure this is the best way to handle logically, but I don't think it's a problem conceptually unless there is something I'm missing.

@Dicey:

I haven't had time to try out your actual code, so I'm shooting from the hip here.

First, I don't think you clarified whether your incendiary bullet is doing damage or not. From your post, I get the impression that ONLY your hollow point is failing to actually damage zeds. In the code you posted, you only provided attributes for damage in the incendiary bullet, not the hollow point bullet. And not knowing if you made any changes to the gun itself, I'm not sure how to answer your situation.

Second, to minimize confusion, I would recommend that you try the following:

- Just extend the original bulletTip like Valmar's and CHUD's code does. The only reason I had to create full separate tips rather than extend is that extending the bulletTip doesn't work for me (for some reason I just can't figure out). So, I would start there by not changing or adding anything else - just extend the original tip into your new ones, and make sure you can get the "crafting" of your hollow and incend tips to work. Once that's working, then move on to the actual custom bullets you want to do.

- In my posts on this thread and the other one, I mention creating entirely new bullets from scratch and modifying the original gun recipes. The only reason I did this is because I'm OCD about the actual values showing up in the interface. If I understand Valmar and CHUD correctly, the game actually does the combined gun barrel + bullet entity damage against zeds correctly without creating new bullets. It just doesn't show the combined damage value correctly in the interface. Valmar/CHUD, please correct me if I misunderstood that. Having said that, Dicey, I would recommend following Valmar and CHUDs examples if you aren't already (meaning, don't make changes to the original gun recipes like I am - only make the changes Valmar/CHUD mention, like adding the blockdamage attribute on the barrel, so that combined damage from the bullet works).

- With regard to the bullets, even though I'm creating entirely new bullets, I'm still using extends. That helps ensure new bullet recipes correctly tie into the progression system and minimizes the amount you have to "code correctly" to reduce potential errors.

An example of what I mean is that you are creating a fully new bullet in addition to the fully new bullet tip. So, just like my recommendation to try extending the bulletTip, I would also recommend extending the original 9mmbullet (Valmar's/CHUD's code as an example):

<item id="1636" name="9mmBulletINC">

<property name="DescriptionKey" value="BulletINCDesc"/>

<property name="BlockDamage" value="5,7" />

<property name="ApplyBuff" value="1,1" param1="burningSmall" />

</property>

</item>

That will help rule out inconsistencies and make sure we're all on the same page. CHUD/Valmar, let me know if you think I'm off base anywhere there. Hopefully, I just didn't make things more confusing :)

@CHUD (is that right name?):

I think he's got the tip idea right in general - he's just using the tips to introduce the complexity of the crafting (caliper requirements vs. tool/die set, etc.). Not sure this is the best way to handle logically, but I don't think it's a problem conceptually unless there is something I'm missing.

@Dicey:

I haven't had time to try out your actual code, so I'm shooting from the hip here.

First, I don't think you clarified whether your incendiary bullet is doing damage or not. From your post, I get the impression that ONLY your hollow point is failing to actually damage zeds. In the code you posted, you only provided attributes for damage in the incendiary bullet, not the hollow point bullet. And not knowing if you made any changes to the gun itself, I'm not sure how to answer your situation.

Second, to minimize confusion, I would recommend that you try the following:

- Just extend the original bulletTip like Valmar's and CHUD's code does. The only reason I had to create full separate tips rather than extend is that extending the bulletTip doesn't work for me (for some reason I just can't figure out). So, I would start there by not changing or adding anything else - just extend the original tip into your new ones, and make sure you can get the "crafting" of your hollow and incend tips to work. Once that's working, then move on to the actual custom bullets you want to do.

- In my posts on this thread and the other one, I mention creating entirely new bullets from scratch and modifying the original gun recipes. The only reason I did this is because I'm OCD about the actual values showing up in the interface. If I understand Valmar and CHUD correctly, the game actually does the combined gun barrel + bullet entity damage against zeds correctly without creating new bullets. It just doesn't show the combined damage value correctly in the interface. Valmar/CHUD, please correct me if I misunderstood that. Having said that, Dicey, I would recommend following Valmar and CHUDs examples if you aren't already (meaning, don't make changes to the original gun recipes like I am - only make the changes Valmar/CHUD mention, like adding the blockdamage attribute on the barrel, so that combined damage from the bullet works).

- With regard to the bullets, even though I'm creating entirely new bullets, I'm still using extends. That helps ensure new bullet recipes correctly tie into the progression system and minimizes the amount you have to "code correctly" to reduce potential errors.

An example of what I mean is that you are creating a fully new bullet in addition to the fully new bullet tip. So, just like my recommendation to try extending the bulletTip, I would also recommend extending the original 9mmbullet (Valmar's/CHUD's code as an example):

<item id="1636" name="9mmBulletINC">

<property name="DescriptionKey" value="BulletINCDesc"/>

<property name="BlockDamage" value="5,7" />

</property>

</item>

That will help rule out inconsistencies and make sure we're all on the same page. CHUD/Valmar, let me know if you think I'm off base anywhere there. Hopefully, I just didn't make things more confusing :)

Naa you got it bro......I made new Ammo also for SNiper and a few other guns i have created...i know what you mean

and yeah it's just the Fun pimps code..it does not allow the values to be multiplied upwards

like 50+20 etc etc

I thought about what you did...if i feel like it i might go your route and redo the bullets that way also.....removing stats from the gun and applying them to the bullets only.

i never thought of doing that way because i don't know how the Damage was applied till learning to Do the XMLs myself.......

My gun mod was little more extensive in the end....my sniper has 8 different variations lol

Pretty confusing at first but makes since after.

i moved all the Stats to one Part.

that way i could create different variations.

Ammo upgrades

Silencers

Scopes

Chokes

but make sure that when you do your bullets the way you siad,you Add the damages up.

So you say

bullet 1 does 20 damage

bullet 2 does 10 damage

So bullet 2 would be set on 30 damage.

im sure you thought of that.

like this how i create a new bullet..i use the same principle every time (sniper)

<item id="155" name="556mmBullet">

<property name="Meshfile" value="Items/Weapons/Ranged/Magnums/44_roundPrefab" />

<property name="Stacknumber" value="150" /> <!-- STK ammo -->

<property name="CraftingSkillGroup" value="BulletCasting"/>

<property name="DescriptionKey" value="556mmBulletDesc"/>

</item>

EDIT.....OMG i just figured out why his bullets are not doing damage

this is the number one culprit.

<property name="Magazine_item_ray_counts" value="1, 1, 1" />

<property name="Magazine_item_ray_spreads" value="0, 0, 0" />

for every bullet you add to gun you have to add a Ray...

so this gun has 3 bullets

Cool, thanks for confirming. And I THINK I addressed the damage in the way you mentioned, but I need to go back and confirm - thanks for the heads up.

By the way, if you want to save yourself some time, I have so many mods for other games (Fallout, Skyrim, etc.) that I manage or help other modders manage, I just don't have time to manage a mod here (so I won't be officially posting anything I'm doing). However, I'm more than happy to send you some clean code when I'm finished and you can just tweak that if it's helpful and saves you some time. That way you won't have to start from scratch, since you have to touch Localization, Loot, Progression, etc. Just let me know.

Nice catch on the rays. Here I've seen Valmar answer that on his threads a dozen times, haven't missed it yet myself in my work, but still missed it here and went on an unnecessary ramble. Oh well... live and learn :)

And I like what you did with your variations. I've actually learned quite a bit from you and Valmar both.

I had one last issue with Progression not properly affecting the bullets that is now figured out. You have to copy the following line (not sure if you can remove) from the weapon to the new bullet (required once we move the entity and block damage values):

<property name="ActionSkillGroup" value="Pistols"/>

(or value="XXXXX" for the proper group in Progression.xml)

If you don't move that line along with the damage attributes, then the applicable skills and perks will not take affect on the new bullets. Once moved, my new bullets are fully changeable, work with the skills & perks properly, show the correct entity and block damage values in the interface, and do the correct damage to the zeds. Gun quality also correctly affects the damage values as it should.

So, as an example (this isn't everything as you have to update Loot, Progression, and other files - just showing Items.xml):

I changed the original gunPistol item to the following:

<item id="40" name="gunPistol">
<property name="Meshfile" value="Items/Weapons/Ranged/Pistol/PistolPrefab" />
<property name="Material" value="metal" />
<property name="RepairTools" value="repairKit" />
<property name="HoldType" value="1" />
	<property name="DegradationBreaksAfter" value="false" />
<property name="SoundJammed" value="Weapons/weapon_jam" />
<property name="Attachments" value="flashlight02" />
<property class="Parts">
	<property name="Stock" value="partsPistol_grip" />
	<property name="Receiver" value="partsPistol_receiver" />
	<property name="Pump" value="partsPistol_parts" />
	<property name="Barrel" value="partsPistol_barrel" />
</property>
<property class="Action0"> <!-- AttackAction -->
	<property name="Class" value="Ranged" />
	<property name="Delay" value="0.3" />
	<property name="Magazine_size" value="15" />
	[color="#FF8C00"]<!-- BEGIN Yatz Remastered Guns & Ammo Pack -->
	<!-- <property name="Magazine_items" value="9mmBullet" /> -->
	<property name="Magazine_items" value="9mmBullet, 9mmLuger_FMJ, 9mmLuger_JHP, 9mmLuger_INC" />
	<property name="Magazine_item_ray_counts" value="1, 1, 1, 1" />
	<property name="Magazine_item_ray_spreads" value="0, 0, 0, 0" />
	<!-- END Yatz Remastered Guns & Ammo Pack -->[/color]
	<property name="Reload_time" value="2" />
	<property name="Bullet_icon" value="pistol" />
	<property name="Sound_start" value="Weapons/Ranged/Pistol/pistol_fire" />
	<property name="Sound_repeat" value="" />
	<property name="Sound_end" value="" />
	<property name="Sound_empty" value="Weapons/weapon_empty" />
	<property name="Sound_reload" value="Weapons/Ranged/Pistol/pistol_reload" />
	<property name="Particles_muzzle_fire" value="nozzleflash" />
	<property name="Particles_muzzle_smoke" value="nozzlesmoke" />
	<property name="DamageBonus.head" value="6" />
	<property name="DamageBonus.wood" value="3" />
	<property name="DamageBonus.earth" value=".4" />
	<property name="DamageBonus.glass" value="25" />
</property>
<property class="Action1"> <!-- UseAction -->
	<property name="Zoom_max_out" value="35" />
	<property name="Zoom_max_in" value="35" />
</property>
<property name="LightSource" value="lightSource" /> <!-- Start: Needed for the attachment flashlight -->
<property name="ActivateObject" value="Attachments/flashlight/lightSource" />
<property name="AttachmentFlashlight" value="flashlight02" /> <!-- End: Needed for the attachment flashlight -->
<property name="RepairExpMultiplier" value="10.8"/>
<property name="PickupJournalEntry" value="gunAssemblyTip,augmentGunsTip" />
</item>

Notice I don't have the following block in the entry above, which is usually required when trying to combine gun + bullet damage:

<property name="BlockDamage" value="1,1" />
</property>

Turns out this addition is no longer necessary once you move Entity and Block damage completely to the bullet.

Next up, the partsPistol_barrel item was modified as follows:

<item id="213" name="partsPistol_barrel">
<property name="DescriptionKey" value="partsPistolGroupDesc"/>
<property name="PartType" value="Barrel" />
	<!-- <property name="EntityDamage" value="11.4, 19" /> -->
	<!-- <property name="BlockDamage" value="5,13" /> -->
</property>
<property name="EconomicValue" value="412" />
</item>

I simply commented out the lines for proper coding and easy future comparison/troubleshooting. Also, I discovered that even though you MUST move BOTH EntityDamage and BlockDamage, you do NOT have to move Degradation values.

I changed the original 9mmBullet to the following:

<item id="150" name="9mmBullet">
<property name="Stacknumber" value="500" /> <!-- STK ammo -->
<property name="EconomicValue" value="14" />
		<property name="EntityDamage" value="11.4,19" />
		<property name="BlockDamage" value="5,13" />
</property>
</item>

This allows existing saves to continue using the original 9mmBullet, but I then prevent creating or finding new "original" 9mm bullets by properly editing the Loot.xml and Recipe.xml files.

And, last but not least, I created the new bullets:

<!-- Custom Pistol Rounds -->

<item id="1648" name="9mmLuger_FMJ">
	<property name="DescriptionKey" value="9mmLugerFMJDesc"/>
	</property>
</item>

<item id="1649" name="9mmLuger_JHP">
	<property name="DescriptionKey" value="9mmLugerJHPDesc"/>
		<property name="EntityDamage" value="13.4,22" />
		<property name="BlockDamage" value="8,16" />
		<property name="ApplyBuff" value="0.7,0.7" param1="stunned" />
	</property>
</item>

<item id="1650" name="9mmLuger_INC">
	<property name="DescriptionKey" value="9mmLugerINCDesc"/>
	</property>
</item>

This is actually working out much better than I anticipated and I've satisfied my OCD at the same time - LOL!

I was hoping I could do some stuff with the Magazine attribute (for example, when I use an extended mag in real life), but I couldn't get it to work, no matter where I made the change. I also wanted to apply some other attributes such as Head damage (so it could be different for different rounds), but as others have noted, that doesn't seem to work and so far that is confirmed in my testing. But I can do without that.

Now, the images... ugh... if anyone (Valmar did a good job with his) has any suggestions. I have all the new images I want to use, but I have to change the white background to alpha. Unfortunately, there is no easy way to do it because the color values match colors on the bullet image itself. I'm using Paint.NET because I can't affort Adobe's stuff right now. And the magic wand and lasso tools just aren't cutting it. Having to literally paint the alpha carefully around the edges. Very tedious :)

EDIT: Nvm on the images. In Paint.NET, changing the Tolerance to 25% and changing the blend mode to Overwrite was what I needed. Takes about 2 seconds now LOL!

Woohoo... and... done. Just a few refinements left. Some images to demonstrate:

Round Images:

http://imgur.com/JeG7vps

Example of accurate display in interface for new FMJ (same damages as original bullet):

http://imgur.com/AKkuaO0

Example of accurate display in interface for new JHP (increased damages):

http://imgur.com/IgWifRD

Example of round selection:

http://imgur.com/1gCCnTt

Rounds in workbench creation view:

http://imgur.com/TXDPzSl

EDIT: To match real life, the Sniper Rifle will now accept .308 Winchester and 762x51mm NATO (all 7 bullets show up in a nice circle when selecting the ammo type). The SMG likewise will accept 9mm now in addition to its default .40 S&W. So, you can elect to carry only 9mm and .308 rounds and still carry the Pistol, SMG, Hunting Rifle and Sniper Rifle. Damage values correctly change based on which type of ammo you choose also, so if you choose to use 9mm in the SMG, you'll get less damage than the .40 S&W. But, unlike using the 9mm in the Pistol, when using it in the SMG, you get the added accuracy and related bonuses from the SMG.

Archived