New Controller Controls (FEEDBACK)

1 hour ago, RuttedLightning said:

There is already a thread for this.  I would suggest posting there.  This thread will just bring unwanted attention from a moderator.

Where?

On 6/25/2024 at 5:06 AM, ApokRi said:

The following is from a place of love and just wanting to see this game succeed.

• Bring back the option for cursor in menus.
  • Remove hold Y to access dpad options in menus.
  • Remove the ability to drop a tool belt item with a single click. (you can unbind this currently)
  • I love the introduction of the toolbelt wheel
  • Hold dpad left for wheel(Move stick to select, release without selecting to select middle option. Personally, I would love to see 3 more toolbelt slots and make the wheel a clock.)
  • Hold dpad up for torch toggle
  • Hold dpad right for PTT(I guess)
  • Hold dpad down for remove HUD (or something)
  • Scope zoom in/out should require holding the ADS button.
  • Button mapping is amazing and I am incredibly thankful!

I agree strongly with most of your points. And want to add/emphasize:

• why add "hold Y" to do something that doesn't benefit from the extra complication?
  • why is d-pad-left not 'light' like it is in vehicles? keep it consistent.
  • hold d-pad could be very useful for things that are not urgent, like 'light'
  • remove the wrap-around. When I'm trying  to select something in the top left and suddenly the selection is in the bottom right with no quick way to get back.
  • don't default to top-left when looking into a container. It makes base inventory management a nightmare. Or provide a single-button press to swap to your inventory or the container's.
  • give us the free cursor back. It worked. It's infinitely better than whatever there is now.
  • when we select controller layer as PlayStation, give us PlayStation button prompts.

I've tweaked my controller settings extensively in-game and in steam. I have controller 'hotkeys' for all 10 toolbelt slots (I had 15 in A21 but they removed this ability). I still  have access to the toolbelt wheel,  quick-swap, and light. Right d-pad is map. Left d-pad is quests. But there is no overcoming the removal of the cursor. It is molasses slow to do any inventory management as it is. And some things cannot be done without mouse and keyboard.

Overall the game is unplayable with controller only. If combined with keyboard and mouse it upgrades to painfully slow.

10 hours ago, weldabar said:

I agree strongly with most of your points. And want to add/emphasize:

• why add "hold Y" to do something that doesn't benefit from the extra complication?
  • why is d-pad-left not 'light' like it is in vehicles? keep it consistent.
  • hold d-pad could be very useful for things that are not urgent, like 'light'
  • remove the wrap-around. When I'm trying  to select something in the top left and suddenly the selection is in the bottom right with no quick way to get back.
  • don't default to top-left when looking into a container. It makes base inventory management a nightmare. Or provide a single-button press to swap to your inventory or the container's.
  • give us the free cursor back. It worked. It's infinitely better than whatever there is now.
  • when we select controller layer as PlayStation, give us PlayStation button prompts.

I've tweaked my controller settings extensively in-game and in steam. I have controller 'hotkeys' for all 10 toolbelt slots (I had 15 in A21 but they removed this ability). I still  have access to the toolbelt wheel,  quick-swap, and light. Right d-pad is map. Left d-pad is quests. But there is no overcoming the removal of the cursor. It is molasses slow to do any inventory management as it is. And some things cannot be done without mouse and keyboard.

Overall the game is unplayable with controller only. If combined with keyboard and mouse it upgrades to painfully slow.

> But there is no overcoming the removal of the cursor.

Yeah that's the crux of this problem. The UI of 7 Days lends itself to being a cursor-native interface. Unless TFP plans on completely overhauling the UI and providing a controller-native version (which MUST be just as fast to use as the current one), this decision is going to be some real @%$# for console gamers. If TFP wants a classic example of how even AAA titles realized they can't use a KBM/PC native interface w/ a controller without a cursor input, they can look to Bethesda's Elder Scrolls Online. The controller UI is vastly different than the PC/KBM interface for a good reason. It's not perfect, but Bethesda/ZM did this quite well because they knew that a controller UI needed to be intentionally created controller-native to begin with that efficiency in mind. You can't square-peg-round-hole a non-controller-native UI control-style onto a KBM/mouse-native UI and remove the cursor. It doesn't work like that.

Edited by KrazyKrampus (see edit history)

Note that they have stated in the update thread that they are working on some changes for controllers but aren't willing to give details yet.  So it is going to get an update.  Doesn't guarantee everyone will like it, but they are at least doing something with it.

i rolled back because the 1.0 is unplayable.....the more this project goes on the more disconnect there seems to be.... the sandbox is dying and controlled linier gameplay has taken over.. its a real shame... still no feedback regarding the controller is just another slap in the face... i no longer recommend this game to others and over the years have purchased copies for people.. that has all stopped...   

22 minutes ago, onovbuton said:

i rolled back because the 1.0 is unplayable.....the more this project goes on the more disconnect there seems to be.... the sandbox is dying and controlled linier gameplay has taken over.. its a real shame... still no feedback regarding the controller is just another slap in the face... i no longer recommend this game to others and over the years have purchased copies for people.. that has all stopped...   

I've given up on it too. I've rented a server for over a year. Cancelling it if nothing has changed by the end of the month. I play handheld so no option for m/kb without defeating the purpose of having a handheld. After that last hotfix my server is over run with screamers too. Since 1.0 dropped it feels like they're trying to alienate their audience.

5 minutes ago, darkodin said:

I've given up on it too. I've rented a server for over a year. Cancelling it if nothing has changed by the end of the month. I play handheld so no option for m/kb without defeating the purpose of having a handheld. After that last hotfix my server is over run with screamers too. Since 1.0 dropped it feels like they're trying to alienate their audience.

Yeah I'm pretty much done with the game until it changes, unfortunately. Had a few friends I used to play with that were waiting for 1.0 that have also sworn the game off until it is fixed

15 hours ago, CMc said:

Back to playing Ark for me! The controller controls are too frustrating to use! 

Yeah I moved on to Conan. Doesn't seem like they're going to revert the controls and they haven't even directly acknowledged the issue which is insane. RIP console release.

It's still not great. Cursor back is good. Still kept the Y + D pad business... still slow and clunky. I just tried adding a scope to a rifle. It was a struggle.

Touchscreen drag and drop on ROG Ally still disabled. I'm done with it. They seem attached to the new scheme. 

Having the cursor back and new quick menu swaps is huge!

Now my only complaint is the fact we still lost using the D pad to quick swap between the first 3 hotbar items in exchange for being able to quick swap between 2 automatically changing items which is just worse.

If they can't make the quickbar menu not lock you in place then I'd rather have rebindable dpad shortcuts so I can choose to have 3 quickslots back.

However I'm atleast happy to say using the menu on controller isn't suffering now!

I kept thinking about situations in this game where you'd want to revert to the previously held item, but I couldn't think of anything.

There are also three items that can be immediately selected with a hotkey.
On the other hand, situations where you can be saved by being able to select the most recently used item, which is "one item" and "varies," are rare cases, and I think it would be difficult to incorporate it as an action that takes precedence over a hotkey and is incorporated into in-game actions.

For that reason, even if the action to revert to the most recently used item is to remain on controllers, it should be an optional rather than a main action.

17 hours ago, Joey9Baka said:

Now my only complaint is the fact we still lost using the D pad to quick swap between the first 3 hotbar items in exchange for being able to quick swap between 2 automatically changing items which is just worse.

If they can't make the quickbar menu not lock you in place then I'd rather have rebindable dpad shortcuts so I can choose to have 3 quickslots back.

For console users this sucks. I don't know if they will provide useful feedback since they haven't experienced a better way.

For PC users this is not a problem. I use a PS5 controller and have reverted the Dpad to near old behavior, while keeping last-item swap. Also I have all 10 backpack slots hotkeyed on controller. This is accomplished via in-game button selections plus Steam custom controller configuration. You're free to customize your layout.

Thank you for returning the reticle (cursor) to us. Still getting use to the "hold triangle to access other options" but I'm getting use to it. 

The reticle being returned is huge though. 

Still prefer the control scheme pre 1.0 but it is much improved now!

Edited by Outlaw_187 (see edit history)

Having to hold triangle to do things in our inventory is horrible and 100% needs to be fixed but please, for the love of god, add back the dpad quick swap for your tool belt. I’m VERY grateful to have the cursor back, it’s so nice being able to manage my inventory again. But combat is still a disaster without any options to quickly swap to your weapons. I’m shocked that this wasn’t tested or was tested and somehow was concluded that it’s not an issue.. I understand that some things are a difference in perspective and/or opinion but this change just seems so obviously bad. Makes no sense to me (or anyone else outside of tfp it sounds like).

Between these 2 issues, 1.0 still qualifies for a rename to “7 days to get arthritis” for me lol. I want to play the new version so bad but it’s too painful.

MacBook Pro, PS4 Controller, I used to be able to scroll thru my tool belt by using L1 or R1 now I have to hold down L1 or R1, then use L3 or R3 to rotate to the item.  This make the game unplayable when you in a heated moment. Also while you in your backpack it takes for every to get the items out of it. Please put controller commands back for PS4.