Implement different Modes of Play

Ripflex

I remember back in the day of Alpha 5, there was Blood moon horde night every 7 days and Horde Mode every night.  Got me thinking, when I play solo I prefer to remove horde nights but like everything else.... but something that Alpha 5 had that today's build doesn't very often; and that is wandering herds of Zombies.  It kinda exists, but it's very seldom.  If a server doesn't want 7 day hordes that happen to everyone on the server, how about migrating Hordes of whatever happen periodically to others at random times where people on the server could communicate a town been infested and needs clearing or a wandering horde walking up a main road towards a player base... these would be dynamic and can be intense ?  Basically the walking dead style herds that can are unexpected and can happen at any time ?

This obviously be a setting of 7 days hordes or None or Wandering Horde modes ?

We do have wandering hordes but they're limited to maybe 8-10 zombies or so.  I'd agree that seeing these bumped up to 30-50 zombies once in a while would be great, perhaps with feral sense even if that's disabled so they don't just walk past and ignore you.

7 hours ago, Old Crow said:

Yeah.. Wandering Hordes aren't so much Wandering Hordes as they are Gently Moseying Tour Groups.

I've seen them run to a location with determination, then stand around. Maybe that's a night time wandering horde?

My hardest modded game has BM off with wandering hordes of 30-55 every 12.5-37.5 real minutes. Day = Run + Feral Sense on. Totally unpredictable, MUCH harder than a planned BM event once a week. On the rare occasion when I use traders, these hordes can make it hard to complete missions. I often run for my life, and they chase me relentlessly. 

On 5/13/2024 at 5:10 AM, zztong said:

I've seen them run to a location with determination, then stand around. Maybe that's a night time wandering horde?

I mean.. their speed I'm sure is determined by the game settings. But yeah sounds like it.

I'm now tempted to stealthily follow the next wandering horde I see just to see where they go.

16 hours ago, Old Crow said:

I mean.. their speed I'm sure is determined by the game settings. But yeah sounds like it.

I'm now tempted to stealthily follow the next wandering horde I see just to see where they go.

You won't go very far. Unless I'm mistaken, after spawning near the players location, wandering hordes will, erm, wander to a set location and just stop. I don't think they travel very far in reality. Would be really cool if they just kept running to the edge of the map unless distracted by something.

On the topic in general, I do wish vanilla had some settings to adjust horde frequency and size. I regularly run a mod that greatly increases horde size and I've never really experienced a performance issue.