Placing steel vault doors so they open up

1 hour ago, ungkor said:

Are there any visual clues that let you place a vault hatch so that it opens upwards instead of down?

The handle thing is on top tells you it opens upwards.

Unless you rotate the hatch most times it is facing the correct way to open upwards

Sometimes the hatches just don't behave as you expect.  It's easy to get onto the face of a wrong block.

FWIW to mitigate that; I start with a cheap wooden hatch and ensure its placed correctly, and then upgrade through iron to steel.

7 minutes ago, 8_Hussars said:

Sometimes the hatches just don't behave as you expect.  It's easy to get onto the face of a wrong block.

FWIW to mitigate that; I start with a cheap wooden hatch and ensure its placed correctly, and then upgrade through iron to steel.

Unfortunately, you can't upgrade to vault from wood.  :)

7 minutes ago, Riamus said:

Say what?

I did state "upgrade through iron to steel."

I certainly recall getting the "no steel hatch icon" in bottom right when upgrading an iron hatch.  Will have to confirm I guess.

24 minutes ago, Riamus said:

Pretty sure you can, actually. Unless for some odd reason doors don't behave the same as hatches, you can start with a wooden door and upgrade all the way to a steel door. You just have to have the appropriate doors already crafted in your inventory.

45 minutes ago, Riamus said:

While true, you can place the wooden hatch somewhere nearby and just Copy Rotation from that with the steel hatch. Skipping the iron hatch, just having to destroy the wooden one.

2 hours ago, 8_Hussars said:

Say what?

I did state "upgrade through iron to steel."

I certainly recall getting the "no steel hatch icon" in bottom right when upgrading an iron hatch.  Will have to confirm I guess.

Hm... maybe I'm wrong then.  But I am pretty sure that I remember wood hatches only upgrading to iron covered wood hatches but not beyond and having to do a separate iron hatch that was different from the upgraded wood hatch with iron covering.  And I don't remember being able to upgrade to the vault hatch, though it could just be that I've never bothered because it's just easier to craft the vault hatch than bother with upgrades.

31 minutes ago, Riamus said:

having to do a separate iron hatch that was different from the upgraded wood hatch with iron covering.

Atm (last I checked), you need the crafted higher tier hatch as materials for the upgrade; maybe this is where the confusion lies?

3 hours ago, theFlu said:

Atm (last I checked), you need the crafted higher tier hatch as materials for the upgrade; maybe this is where the confusion lies?

Yes, maybe that's it.

What I poorly explained was: place crafted wood hatch in correct orientation, upgrade wood hatch to iron hatch with crafted iron hatch in inventory, and then upgrade iron hatch to steel hatch with crafted steel hatch in inventory. ("upgrade through iron to steel.")

CONFIRMED.  Yes its a few extra steps (and basic resources) but it beats the hell out of misplacing and then removing a steel hatch, YMMV.

Edited by 8_Hussars (see edit history)

9 hours ago, theFlu said:

Ah... I didn't realize it could be basically replaced by crafting the hatch and then "upgrading" it.  Odd way to go about doing it, but oh well.

9 hours ago, Riamus said:

Ah... I didn't realize it could be basically replaced by crafting the hatch and then "upgrading" it.  Odd way to go about doing it, but oh well.

FWIW, it is the same mechanic as block upgrades...

3 hours ago, theFlu said:

But we don't need to craft concrete blocks to upgrade from cobblestone.

Sure, it could be looked at as an "odd" and different mechanic.

IMHO, crafting cobble or concrete to upgrade blocks is close enough to crafting an iron hatch to upgrade a hatch.  The mechanic of "upgrade materials need to be available in inventory" covers it sufficiently for me, YMMV.

1 hour ago, 8_Hussars said:

Sure, it could be looked at as an "odd" and different mechanic.

IMHO, crafting cobble or concrete to upgrade blocks is close enough to crafting an iron hatch to upgrade a hatch.  The mechanic of "upgrade materials need to be available in inventory" covers it sufficiently for me, YMMV.

Yes, but building materials are an obvious need for building or upgrading.  Having a fully constructed door or hatch to use to "upgrade" an existing one is not.  At that point, you aren't upgrading... You are replacing, which is different from other upgrades.  Granted, the idea that you are upgrading from wood to steel on anything without replacing it doesn't exactly make sense but it is there for gameplay reasons.  I don't see why they can't just have steel in your inventory to use to upgrade the doors or hatches like you would any other upgrade.  That is why I say it is odd.

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)