Stuck On "Connecting to server"

jvang1

Hello! I've been having this problem since alpha 20. I haven't been able to play the game since then. Whenever I try to join a friend's locally hosted server, I'm met with the message "Connecting to server" which after about a couple of minutes, just times me out. What I'm guessing is it might be a problem with the internet. The reason for that being is that I'm able to join my friend's server when I'm connected to another friend's internet and ALL my other friends can join the server except me. I'm able to join publically hosted servers and able to play single-player as well. Important to note that I played the game through Xbox Gamepass at first and was able to join the server then switched to Steam for Alpha 20 but wasn't able to get it to join my friend's servers at all. Not using any mods BTW! So far I've tried

• Launching the game without EAC
  • Verifying File Integrity through Steam
  • Reinstalling the game 
  • Port Forwarding
  • Flushing DNS
  • Restarting Router
  • Deleting all my previous game data through the game launcher
  • Creating my own server and having them join (failed)
  • Having all my friends create new servers and trying to join them (failed)

Here are the log files from my app data folder if needed: https://pastebin.com/PYrSyM51

Any help would be appreciated! 

Looks like there are some issues with connecting to the server, and even connecting to Steam servers.

I would first make sure that you have excluded the client from all security software, and avoid using Wifi. 

Your CPU is basically at bare minimum spec for the game, so you're going to have problems with larger maps, and it is not recommended for you to host anything on that system.

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, SylenThunder said:

Looks like there are some issues with connecting to the server, and even connecting to Steam servers.

I would first make sure that you have excluded the client from all security software, and avoid using Wifi. 

Your CPU is basically at bare minimum spec for the game, so you're going to have problems with larger maps, and it is not recommended for you to host anything on that system.

Thanks for the response. The client is excluded from all security software. I only use the default Microsoft security defender anyway. It's allowed through my firewall and I've made an exception to the folder and game client as well. Ethernet is not really an option for me either unless I run the cords throughout the entire house. I also tried to run it on another computer with a slightly better CPU, a Ryzen 5 3600 6 Core. I'm still getting the same results.  As stated previously, my PC doesn't have trouble loading the game and maps when I'm connected to my friend's internet but I can't seem to even get past that "connecting to server" message with my home internet so I can't even begin to load the server map. I'm also not the one hosting the servers so that shouldn't be an issue. Is there anything else that you recommend? I really want to get this game up and running again since none of my friends seem to have this problem. 

9 hours ago, mattia1214 said:

Hey Mattia, still getting the same results, unfortunately. Feels like I've done everything I could but it's still not connecting. I've been trying for almost a year now basically. I'll make sure to update you if anything works. 

Edited by jvang1 (see edit history)

2 hours ago, jvang1 said:

As stated previously, my PC doesn't have trouble loading the game and maps when I'm connected to my friend's internet but I can't seem to even get past that "connecting to server" message with my home internet so I can't even begin to load the server map.

Check if your wifi router has some security app running. Many do.

LiteNetLib: Connection failed: ConnectionFailed

This is typical if the host of the server doesn't have the port forwarding done properly and/or there's a firewall/antivirus getting in the way and needs exceptions. Port forwarding on the client doesn't do much of anything.

3 hours ago, Jugginator said:

LiteNetLib: Connection failed: ConnectionFailed

This is typical if the host of the server doesn't have the port forwarding done properly and/or there's a firewall/antivirus getting in the way and needs exceptions. Port forwarding on the client doesn't do much of anything.

Would this still be a problem if the server is just hosted on a friend's computer? It's not a dedicated server, just a local server that we use whenever we all want to boot the game up together. I've made all the necessary exceptions as well and disabled my firewalls. No one else has trouble getting on to the server except me. If I could obtain the server host's logs, would that be able to help? 

On 3/3/2024 at 11:16 AM, mattia1214 said:

Hey Mattia, found a solution that works for me. I was able to connect to my friend's server using direct connect. We used Hamachi and connected to the game using the network IP and port 26900. Needs further stability testing because I only had time to play for about 15 minutes. Let me know if this also works for you!

18 hours ago, jvang1 said:

Would this still be a problem if the server is just hosted on a friend's computer? It's not a dedicated server, just a local server that we use whenever we all want to boot the game up together. I've made all the necessary exceptions as well and disabled my firewalls. No one else has trouble getting on to the server except me. If I could obtain the server host's logs, would that be able to help? 

Well, a server is a server no matter where or who is hosting it:). Using Himachi works, but it does add latency which could cause issues down the line; if TCP 26900 and UDP 26900 through 26902 is forwarded to the friend's machine (local IP) and that local IP is static and not handled by DHCP, you should be able to connect to it via Litenetlib. Just because others can connect and you can't doesn't really mean much, since they can potentially find the server quicker even though they are using Steamnetworking because Litenet doesn't work. Litenet is a direct connection, which is best, but does require ports forwarded/open to that machine to work.