Black Screen

Marmo

Hello all,

I'm having problems with 7days.

When I'm joining a friend on their server my monitors turn off (so just showing a black screen) after random amounts of time. I can still hear the game and discord for like another 30 secs and then all is gone. I then have to manually restart my pc. Sometimes it's after a few hours, sometimes a few minutes. I don't have any other problems with the game so far. 

Yesterday that also happened when my friend joined me. Black monitors and manual restart of the PC. 

As far as I know it doesn't happen when I play alone.

This only happens when playing 7days. This has recently been happening for the last couple of weeks. 

I tried another drive, deinstalling and reinstalling the game, verifying my game files. 

I checked the drives and my RAM also and both show no problems. I had a look in the event viewer and nothing showed up. 

My PC is relatively new, better than the system requirements and I run Windows 10. I also don't run the game on the highest settings. 

Does anybody know how to fix this? I'm getting really frustrated. 

I'm open to any advice or help :) 

Usually this is because you have either chosen the incorrect renderer for your hardware, or do not have proper GPU drivers installed. 

However having it occur mid-playthrough is exceptionally odd. Usually though, it would be a GPU timeout, which also indicates a driver issue.

Cannot really say for certain without a log though.

Personally, I would start with ensuring all Windows updates are installed. Then using DDU to scrub all driver files and perform a clean installation of the latest driver package for your GPU. 

so those errors are created by the graphics card? 

I did that. need to wait until I can check if it helped. I'll keep you updated. thank you ❤️ 

Do you happen to know why it only happens on 7dtd? 

Could be a power rail limitation as well.  We still haven't heard if they have fixed the drivers though.

18 hours ago, Marmo said:

Do you happen to know why it only happens on 7dtd? 

7 Days uses the core components of your system more than any other game. It is very CPU-heavy and requires heavy use of RAM and your storage. Other games only rely on the GPU for the most part, and one single CPU core. 

As a result, 7 Days tends to find weak points in hardware and drivers more than just about any other program.  I spent a few weeks troubleshooting an issue once where 7 Days would crash the system and not even Prime 95 plus Furmark could crash it.  Turned out to be a bad rail on my nearly brand new PSU.

Hi :)

Uninstalled the drivers with ddu yesterday and reinstalled the most recent driver. still happened. I sent you the log in my message from 18hr ago. 

I checked my card and my CPU and both are in normal temperature ranges. I have directx12 installed.

I checked my disks again and checked my windows files. All fine. I verified my game files again. 

Tried launching the game not with directx but with the other option and i could play for like an hour (had to go off then) but the game was laggy and the graphics were bad :D

I get the error after random amounts of time. 

What is a power rail limitation?

17 minutes ago, Marmo said:

What is a power rail limitation?

After reaching a certain limit, a rail (output node) on the power supply was not able to provide the designated amount of power. In my particular case it was on an output that powered the SSD the OS was installed on. In your case, it could be something similar but on the link for your GPU power. Especially if it is doing it after a specific amount of time under load.

By changing the renderer to OpenGL or Vulkan, you are reducing how much work your GPU is doing, and thus reducing the power draw on that rail.