Move single player saved world to server

Fanatical_Meat

Why is it so damn confusing, why are there so many incomplete videos of how to do it?

I want to generate a map with lots of towns & cities, server client gives no way to adjust these values. How do I generate a single player map with world preview tool and move that world to the server client?

I have access to %appdata%

You need a tool like filezilla or similar. There you connect with the server, all the data you need for that should be easily found in the command center of your Server (at least it´s easily found when using G-Portal, no clue about others) then it´s simply drag and drop from your folder into the servers world folder. 

Maybe check out Tallmann Brad on youtube, he has a lot of tutorial videos.

Edited by pApA^LeGBa (see edit history)

5 minutes ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

You need a tool like filezilla or similar. There you connect with the server, all the data you need for that should be easily found in the command center of your Server (at least it´s easily found when using G-Portal, no clue about others) then it´s simply drag and drop from your folder into the servers world folder. 

Maybe check out Tallmann Brad on youtube, he has a lot of tutorial videos.

It’s a home server, same machine I play the game on. Do I still need FileZilla?

Edited by Fanatical_Meat (see edit history)

22 minutes ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

Sorry, i never did that. I guess you already copied the world into the map folder of the server already? That´s what i would try first. 

Yeah and I changed the xml name to match still doesn’t work right

i know it’s something simple. I suspect the game save needs to be transferred to the server save location but I cannot find that file.

11 minutes ago, Fanatical_Meat said:

I suspect the game save needs to be transferred to the server save location but I cannot find that file.

Do you have a "Saves" folder in the same place as your "GeneratedWorlds" folder?

At least for me in singleplayer, "GeneratedWorlds" holds the map info and "Saves" is a specific session/save of that map.

I have a dedicated server on a different PC, so not quite the same.

I would create a new folder for the server and copy all the 7D2D files into it.

Also create a new folder for the world and saves for the server.

Copy the world and save from your app data folder into these folders (dont copy the save files if you want to start from day 1).

Create a backup copy of the world / save folders.

In the new game folder for the server edit the server config file (serverconfig.xml);

Set a path for 'UserDataFolder' to point at the new folder with the world in it.

Set a path for 'SaveGameFolder' to point at the new the folder you put the save files.

Set 'GameWorld' to 'RWG'

Set 'WorldGenSeed' to the seed you created the map with (I think the map name also works)

Set 'WorldGenSize' to the sizer of your map.

[The worlds folder should have a 'map_info.xml' file with these values in it.]

Set 'GameName' to the save file name.

Edit any other settings (ie difficulty, password, TelnetPassword, ServerVisibility (=2), etc)

Save and backup the serverconfig.xml (so if you update the game files it does not get over-written).

Run the 'startdedicated.bat' file to start the server.

Watch the output to make sure it is loading the correct world files and running correctly.

18 hours ago, Fanatical_Meat said:

It’s a home server, same machine I play the game on. Do I still need FileZilla?

It's straightforward, I've seen some guides kind of overcomplicate/overexplain it.

You need two folders:

• Generated World (example: Kubuixie Valley)
  • Game save on that world (example: Saves/Kubuixie Valley/My Game)

That's it. The Generated world is in %appdata%/7daystodie/GeneratedWorlds. The Save is in %appdata%/7daystodie/Saves

Since you're playing on the same machine, all you need to do is open the serverconfig file and change these:

<property name="GameWorld"						value=""/>
	<property name="GameName"						value=""/>

Game world you can put your generated world's name in it. So, using the example, you would do this:

<property name="GameWorld"						value="Kubuixie Valley"/>
	<property name="GameName"						value="My Game"/>

And that's it :)