A more powerful map generator

Skaarphy

One where you can tailormake maps just like you want them to, with options like: 

- The exact number of traders, starting from zero

- The exact number of settlements and towns, from zero to infinite (i.e. covers the entire map)

- The scarcity of mining resources like iron, coal, etc.

Is that a pipe dream?

5 hours ago, Skaarphy said:

Is that a pipe dream?

No, it's a Pimp Dream! (yuck, yuck, yuck)

Seriously, I'd like to think those are interesting and compelling goals. I'd like to think specifying the number of traders and the scarcity of underground resources would be doable.

Specifying the number of settlements potentially excludes significant Wilderness content and potentially comes with performance issues depending on how you want settlements to be assembled. Does an "infinite" city have one massive "downtown" district, for instance?

To be honest, I didn't think about it too much, I just thought it'd be interesting to play a map that's just one big town and nothing else. You'd have to go about it very differently, I think. No mining would mean not a whole lot of gas, for instance, so you'd have to pick and chose where to go by motorcycle and where to walk or ride your bike. There'd also be very few trees, so finding a large amount of wood would be like a christmas present. You'd also have to be more careful with your ammunition since you just can't grind some resources to get some. Things like that. It'd be an interesting way to play, I believe.  

Performance issues would be a thing, of course, but maybe it'd be not that bad, I don't know. I know I can't run towns for s**t because my computer is ancient, but maybe it's not that bad for many other players. And for me, once I get myself basically an entirely new computer.  

Edited by Skaarphy (see edit history)

17 hours ago, Skaarphy said:

To be honest, I didn't think about it too much, I just thought it'd be interesting to play a map that's just one big town and nothing else. You'd have to go about it very differently, I think. No mining would mean not a whole lot of gas, for instance, so you'd have to pick and chose where to go by motorcycle and where to walk or ride your bike. There'd also be very few trees, so finding a large amount of wood would be like a christmas present. You'd also have to be more careful with your ammunition since you just can't grind some resources to get some. Things like that. It'd be an interesting way to play, I believe.  

Performance issues would be a thing, of course, but maybe it'd be not that bad, I don't know. I know I can't run towns for s**t because my computer is ancient, but maybe it's not that bad for many other players. And for me, once I get myself basically an entirely new computer.  

There are XML options now that would make this viable.
You can go into world editor after generating a world and add all the town you like to the map. Some folks have a trader hub in their maps.
Further, the issues with Chunk and Mesh can be mitigated via XML edits for chunk size (Itd have to be greatly reduced) as well as view distance and mesh distance/# of mesh.
This would greatly reduce lag for such a large map concept and make it relatively playable.

11 hours ago, Pichii said:

There are XML options now that would make this viable.
You can go into world editor after generating a world and add all the town you like to the map. Some folks have a trader hub in their maps.
Further, the issues with Chunk and Mesh can be mitigated via XML edits for chunk size (Itd have to be greatly reduced) as well as view distance and mesh distance/# of mesh.
This would greatly reduce lag for such a large map concept and make it relatively playable.

I would actually do that even though I have no clue of modding and editing and XML (whatever that is) but my computer just doesn't allow large towns. I get framerates of about 10. I was actually about to quit until I have bought myself a better one but then I remembered that Navezgane has these small square towns instead of the sprawling ones with their FPS-kllling downtown areas, and it worked. FPS suck, but playable. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/10/2023 at 6:44 PM, Skaarphy said:

Also just thought of this mod that is out. Not sure if it is working in the latest build of game so you would have to check that out.

It says for A21 but not sure if for very latest one.

https://7daystodiemods.com/map-new-york-undead-21/

On 9/11/2023 at 10:27 PM, Gamida said:

XML refers to the editable xml files in the config folder in your game. 

It is where you can make changes to the game settings such as stack sizes, harvest amounts, trader hours, etc.

Careful though, once you start tweaking them you can get hooked.

image.thumb.png.2962dd491c4ad87aeea96201e1e63213.png

Again stuff that should be in the base game 

But other stuff Like 

More random cars being in on the road like a army truck, the old sedans and bus too 

Able to have one of each trader only, 

Able to ether have ocean around the border or Land, 

Lake/river pois like on navezgane even if they only spawn on the coast 

11 hours ago, Gamida said:

Also just thought of this mod that is out. Not sure if it is working in the latest build of game so you would have to check that out.

It says for A21 but not sure if for very latest one.

https://7daystodiemods.com/map-new-york-undead-21/

I literally starting salivating when I saw that. Definitely on my bucket list.