• Revised Quest line to only reward blade crafting magazines and skill points
  • Added Tanto and Katana in the Loot tables
  • Added Tanto as a reward for T4+ trader quests
  • Added Katana as a reward for T5+ trader quests
  • Increased Blade Crafting to level 100 from 75
  • Added Unlocking of Tanto and Katana through Blade Crafting
  • Removed simple no quest version as progression has changed

Survivor's Katana

I like to use Melee weapons. Preferably the bladed ones, like the Machete. I was slightly bummed out that TFP didn’t add any other melee weapons for late game.
This Modlet adds 2 blades, the Tanto, which is the Japanese knife, and the Survivor’s Katana.

Katana is a custom made model after I learned to Model using Blender. May not be used without permissions. 
Tanto Knife is a free asset from Unity store and is free to use.

Here is what I changed in the game

• Added the Tanto and Survivor’s Katana.
  • Katana has a base dismemberment of 10%
  • Added in a quest chain to reward player with a total of 20 Knife Guy Magazines to level up Blade Crafting and 5 skill points
  • The quest chain “Way of the Blade” is started after you complete the Basic Survival quest chain.
  • NOTE: If you added this modlet on a saved game, you can craft the Quest, Way of the Blade, with 1 paper. Once you the quest chain, you cannot start it again.
  • Tanto is unlocked at level Blade Crafting 25
  • Survivor's Katana is unlocked at Blade Crafting 64

Quest Chain

1. Make a Bone Shiv
  2. Kill 5 things with it
  3. Obtain a Hunting Knife
  4. Kill 10 things with it
  5. Obtain a Tanto
  6. Kill 20 things with it
  7. Obtain a Machete
  8. Kill 30 things with it
  9. Obtain a Survivor’s Katana
  10. Kill 50 zombies with it

Please enjoy this modlet and please provide any constructive criticism on the model, but be gentle 😛 as it is literally the first one I created with nothing but a picture to go off of. The 

Downloads

Nexus

Google Drive

Edited by Russiandood
Updated mod to 3.1 (see edit history)

Would it be okay to add this to an existing game? 

I would love to have these in the game without having them quest rewards just higher tier loot/ very rare finds. And craft able way later in end game like you pointed out. 

These sound amazing :D

EDIT: I reread and saw you already posted my question, I just can't read. 

Edited by MrSamuelAdams (see edit history)

12 hours ago, MrSamuelAdams said:

Would it be okay to add this to an existing game? 

I would love to have these in the game without having them quest rewards just higher tier loot/ very rare finds. And craft able way later in end game like you pointed out. 

These sound amazing :D

EDIT: I reread and saw you already posted my question, I just can't read. 

Totally okay to add to existing saves. The quest line is also optional, especially for existing save games since the only way to start it is to craft the quest line note with a piece of paper. It is meant to be started early game then progress all the way to end game when you finally obtain the katana. 

Thanks for your interest :)

Hello, if i crafted the questpaper and then click it in the inventory, i will get an error. I can only close the game with Alt+F4. It seems, that the Items doesn't work proper. It has no Name and no description. I looked for myself in the xml's but i didnt found out, whats the problem -.-

20230727195359_1.thumb.jpg.514ca89f9473586af8a9a040e4a29440.jpg

Btw. I have translated your mod in to german. you can find the translationfile here: https://github.com/Scomar82/Media/blob/master/Localization.txt feel free to download it and take it for your mod.

5 hours ago, Scomar said:

Hello, if i crafted the questpaper and then click it in the inventory, i will get an error. I can only close the game with Alt+F4. It seems, that the Items doesn't work proper. It has no Name and no description. I looked for myself in the xml's but i didnt found out, whats the problem -.-

20230727195359_1.thumb.jpg.514ca89f9473586af8a9a040e4a29440.jpg

Btw. I have translated your mod in to german. you can find the translationfile here: https://github.com/Scomar82/Media/blob/master/Localization.txt feel free to download it and take it for your mod.

It looks like your translation on the meleeKatanaSwordDesc line had an extra ". It also pointed out another issue I had with the localization file so I fixed those as well.

Much appreciated on translating that and providing it for the community, I added it to version 3.1.

13 hours ago, Russiandood said:

It looks like your translation on the meleeKatanaSwordDesc line had an extra ". It also pointed out another issue I had with the localization file so I fixed those as well.

Much appreciated on translating that and providing it for the community, I added it to version 3.1.

oh, what a simple " can do, its tricky with this. But now it worked, Thanks for this nice mod.

Edited by Scomar (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I'm trying to get this mod to play nice with a couple other mods.  I've managed to get it to play nice with JaxTeller718’s Increased Mod Slots just by changing around the load order.  I'm having issue with getting it to play nicely with Pahbi's Craft Tier Six.  Depending on what I do, I either can't make anything but tier 1 katanas, even at blade skill of 100, I can not make tantos or katanas, or once the katana unlocks at blade skill 64 it can be crafted at tier 6..

Relevant code from craft tier six mod:

<!-- *** BLADE_SKILLS -->
<set xpath="/progression/crafting_skills/crafting_skill[@name='craftingBlades']/display_entry[1]/@unlock_level">1,3,5,7,10,13,100</set>
<set xpath="/progression/crafting_skills/crafting_skill[@name='craftingBlades']/display_entry[2]/@unlock_level">11,17,24,31,38,45</set>
<set xpath="/progression/crafting_skills/crafting_skill[@name='craftingBlades']/display_entry[3]/@unlock_level">30,39,48,57,66,75</set>

<set xpath="/progression/crafting_skills/crafting_skill[@name='craftingBlades']/effect_group/passive_effect[4]/@level">3,5,7,10,13,75</set>
<set xpath="/progression/crafting_skills/crafting_skill[@name='craftingBlades']/effect_group/passive_effect[5]/@level">17,24,31,38,45,75</set>
<set xpath="/progression/crafting_skills/crafting_skill[@name='craftingBlades']/effect_group/passive_effect[6]/@level">39,48,57,66,75</set>

<set xpath="/progression/crafting_skills/crafting_skill[@name='craftingBlades']/effect_group/passive_effect[4]/@value">1,2,3,4,5,5</set>
<set xpath="/progression/crafting_skills/crafting_skill[@name='craftingBlades']/effect_group/passive_effect[5]/@value">1,2,3,4,5,5</set>
<set xpath="/progression/crafting_skills/crafting_skill[@name='craftingBlades']/effect_group/passive_effect[6]/@value">1,2,3,4,5</set>

19 hours ago, The Freehold said:

I'm trying to get this mod to play nice with a couple other mods.  I've managed to get it to play nice with JaxTeller718’s Increased Mod Slots just by changing around the load order.  I'm having issue with getting it to play nicely with Pahbi's Craft Tier Six.  Depending on what I do, I either can't make anything but tier 1 katanas, even at blade skill of 100, I can not make tantos or katanas, or once the katana unlocks at blade skill 64 it can be crafted at tier 6..

Relevant code from craft tier six mod:

<!-- *** BLADE_SKILLS -->
<set xpath="/progression/crafting_skills/crafting_skill[@name='craftingBlades']/display_entry[1]/@unlock_level">1,3,5,7,10,13,100</set>
<set xpath="/progression/crafting_skills/crafting_skill[@name='craftingBlades']/display_entry[2]/@unlock_level">11,17,24,31,38,45</set>
<set xpath="/progression/crafting_skills/crafting_skill[@name='craftingBlades']/display_entry[3]/@unlock_level">30,39,48,57,66,75</set>

<set xpath="/progression/crafting_skills/crafting_skill[@name='craftingBlades']/effect_group/passive_effect[4]/@level">3,5,7,10,13,75</set>
<set xpath="/progression/crafting_skills/crafting_skill[@name='craftingBlades']/effect_group/passive_effect[5]/@level">17,24,31,38,45,75</set>
<set xpath="/progression/crafting_skills/crafting_skill[@name='craftingBlades']/effect_group/passive_effect[6]/@level">39,48,57,66,75</set>

<set xpath="/progression/crafting_skills/crafting_skill[@name='craftingBlades']/effect_group/passive_effect[4]/@value">1,2,3,4,5,5</set>
<set xpath="/progression/crafting_skills/crafting_skill[@name='craftingBlades']/effect_group/passive_effect[5]/@value">1,2,3,4,5,5</set>
<set xpath="/progression/crafting_skills/crafting_skill[@name='craftingBlades']/effect_group/passive_effect[6]/@value">1,2,3,4,5</set>

To get it to craft properly, you need to add the item name in the tag section for where it goes. 

This is vanilla Tier 3 Machete

<passive_effect name="CraftingTier" operation="base_add" level="48,57,66,75" value="1,2,3,4" tags="meleeWpnBladeT3Machete"/>

so you need a line of code that does the following

<append xpath="//crafting_skill[@name='craftingBlades']/effect_group/passive_effect[6]/@tags">,item_Katana</append>

note, item_Katana needs to be the actual name of the weapon in the items.xml file (I don't have that on me).

Also, some things I see about the code you posted.

• First display has 7 unlock levels when there is only 6
  • Second, you mentioned 100 levels but unlocks and crafting levels only go up to 75.
    • That means in game, you are not getting any additional benefits reading knives crafting magazines after you reach level 75.

In hindsight, you will need to do more now that I realize it.  Pahbi's crafting mod only goes up to level 75 for blades, while Russiandood goes up to 100 (I see now where you got 100).

What I would recommend doing is take out the progression file from Russiandood's mod and edit Pahbi's to add the new items.  That is why you are getting the conflicts.

Then make sure Russiandood's mod loads first and then Pahbi's.

I figured it out.  I removed all <set xpath= lines except the /@max_level">100</set> line from the progression.xml in RussianDood's mod.  I also edited the display_entry and CraftingTier lines so that there were six tiers.  Finally, I made Pahbi's load before RussianDood's mod.

And because of all this I managed to discover that many of the item groups in Pahbi's mod needed a line that changed @level= for one of the items, as it wouldn't unlock crafting of the item until tier two, because they made the tier one of that item unlock before it was supposed to.

Edited by The Freehold (see edit history)