RWGMIXER Trader Customization

A major problem on many servers is issues with some Traders not opening because too many are already open. I'd like to reduce the number of traders to 5, to have 1 of each trader, but I don't see any way to ensure each trader is spawned, as opposed to duplicates of one or more.

My current thought is to move the  <property name="spawn_trader" value="true"/> value from roadsides to Cities, so traders always spawn near them, but I need some way to make sure I only get one of each trader ID. Are there additional property values that would allow me to do this? If so, maybe it would be possible to do something like enabling spawning of specific traders in specific biomes (ex: Jen in forest, Bob in wasteland, etc.)

At the bottom of rwgmixer is this line

<prefab_spawn_adjust tags="trader" bias="20" min_count="10"/>

However I have changed mine to this

<prefab_spawn_adjust tags="trader" bias="20" min_count="5" max_count="5"/>

And still get 8-10 traders.

Only other option would be to remove the extra traders from the POI list after generating the map.

Edited by cammel (see edit history)

I just tried that myself and had the same problem... doesn't seem like the min/max values are being followed. I even tried dropping the bias to 10 and 5, similar to the wedding entry below that line and it did nothing.

Even the following didn't work:

<prefab_spawn_adjust name="trader_jen" min_count="1" max_count="1"/>

Edited by alexbyrd2 (see edit history)

That kinda worked. The repeat was perfect, but the theme distance was way too high, since all traders are part of the same theme, so there was only 1 trader. Dropping it to 1000 gave me one of each trader on a 6k map. You can probably have a higher number on larger maps, but I wouldn't go past 2k honestly.

21 minutes ago, alexbyrd2 said:

That kinda worked. The repeat was perfect, but the theme distance was way too high, since all traders are part of the same theme, so there was only 1 trader. Dropping it to 1000 gave me one of each trader on a 6k map. You can probably have a higher number on larger maps, but I wouldn't go past 2k honestly.

Argh yeh good point on the theme distance stuff my bad  but yeh the rest should make it how you want  with a theme distance of 1000 as you put it

3 hours ago, alexbyrd2 said:

A major problem on many servers is issues with some Traders not opening because too many are already open. I'd like to reduce the number of traders to 5, to have 1 of each trader, but I don't see any way to ensure each trader is spawned, as opposed to duplicates of one or more.

My current thought is to move the  <property name="spawn_trader" value="true"/> value from roadsides to Cities, so traders always spawn near them, but I need some way to make sure I only get one of each trader ID. Are there additional property values that would allow me to do this? If so, maybe it would be possible to do something like enabling spawning of specific traders in specific biomes (ex: Jen in forest, Bob in wasteland, etc.)

As you know exactly what you want, why dont you do it manually rather than trying to play with distance and such?

Generate a map with a lot of traders > open prefabs.xml in new world folder > select five which are at the best spot > remove all the others (delete the lines) > change the names in order to have one of each:  "trader_jen"; "trader_bob"; "trader_joel"; etc. > save prefabs.xml > launch and play !

10 hours ago, métaphore said:

As you know exactly what you want, why dont you do it manually rather than trying to play with distance and such?

Generate a map with a lot of traders > open prefabs.xml in new world folder > select five which are at the best spot > remove all the others (delete the lines) > change the names in order to have one of each:  "trader_jen"; "trader_bob"; "trader_joel"; etc. > save prefabs.xml > launch and play !

That's a fair suggestion, but it'd be easier I think to just set the traders and rwg up poperly and let it do it for me, rather than searching the prefabs in the gen world, fly around the splat to see the locations and the nearby poi's, then delete and rename to replace things. If the rwg is setup right I can make them spawn attached to cities and certain distances apart without needing to rely on luck. Also keeps one city from having 2-3 traders around it.

On 7/24/2023 at 5:33 PM, alexbyrd2 said:

That's a fair suggestion, but it'd be easier I think to just set the traders and rwg up poperly and let it do it for me, rather than searching the prefabs in the gen world, fly around the splat to see the locations and the nearby poi's, then delete and rename to replace things. If the rwg is setup right I can make them spawn attached to cities and certain distances apart without needing to rely on luck. Also keeps one city from having 2-3 traders around it.

Fair point if you really can get your RWG spawning the right number of cities with their attached trader, depending of your map size, relief and seed. :)

I do know that I can't do that. Simply making a flat map with my selected biomes having the correct size and place seems already quite complicated actually.

Edited by métaphore (see edit history)

It occurred to me, I could make alternative versions of the trader POIs that had no trader, but zombies instead. I'd append an "x" onto the name of the POI and rig them not to get placed by RWG. Then you could edit a map RWG created and append the "x" onto the POI name and you'd swap a working trader for a dead trader that was overrun with zombies.

For instance, you edit your world's prefab.xml file, find this:

<decoration type="model" name="trader_bob" position="1605,34,-1306" rotation="1"/>

And change it to this:

<decoration type="model" name="trader_bobx" position="1605,34,-1306" rotation="1"/>

And you'd be done, so long as you had the alternative versions of those trader POIs.

I'll try it, and if it pans out, I could (likely) get the alternative traders into the next release of my modlet.

UDPATE: The concept works. I just need to work on the POIs.

Edited by zztong (see edit history)