Instead of having it so that when you press a button or open a door in a POI, it summons a zombie horde, have there be a screamer-like zombie that alerts them. As it currently is, stealth is basically impossible for certain POIs(for example, the prisons)

Paradrake

Currently, the devs seem to be trying to make the game more "active", and by that I mean instead of zombies just spawning in and waiting for you to alert them, the zombies automatically know where you are once they spawn in from a trigger, like a button or something. Unfortunately, this kind of kills the whole stealth playstyle. 

The way things currently are, stealth is pretty much useless in certain POIs like t5 prisons. Instead of having a horde of zombies rush at you once you press a button or open a door or something, have there be a screamer zombie that, if alerted, will summon the horde and they will know where you are, etc. like it currently is. But if you kill the screamer, the zombies that would have been summoned as a horde that knows where you are instead spawn as sleeping zombies that haven't been alerted yet. This would make stealth actually usable again for all the POIs. 

Just to be clear, I'm not saying replace all the triggers with screamers. There are situations like when entering the main loot room where it is appropriate for the zombie horde to be triggered by your presence and rush at you. That makes sense, it's the final loot room and it's supposed to be a big battle. But when just progressing through the poi triggers the horde which knows where you are, it makes it pretty much impossible to play stealthily, and this ends up completely ruining a major playstyle. 

I hope The Fun Pimps both see this and take it into consideration. Thanks for reading. 

Credit for this idea goes to Abrogator on the 7 days to die discord server. 

Sometimes the triggers are fun. I just did a POI in a new city and when I entered a room, the elevator to my left dinged, the doors opened, and a feral charged me. This was cliche and fun. I do agree though. When I got to the roof of said building, the second I stepped outside (no trash to step on) every zed on the roof charged my location, including irradiated cops. This was just annoying as my entire stealth trip up the tower meant nothing at the end.

In other words, keep the triggers, but don't over-use them.

I don't know if possible but would be nice to spawn the zombies when the player reach certain radious from the trigger. That way would take in account players not going the obvious path. (Yeah, I'm dumb, I missed a stair in the correctional and had to parkour into a truck and the roof to find the last zombies).

And of course, they should spawn sleeping, not alerted. This way stealth player can do their thing. (My thing right now is running screaming like a little girl and once some of the zombies get stuck or lost me, deal with the rads that are always behind of me).

On 7/4/2023 at 1:51 PM, The_Great_Sephiroth said:

This was just annoying as my entire stealth trip up the tower meant nothing at the end.

I'm not defending the triggers but I would like to understand this statement. There is no achievement to be earned by 100% stealthing a POI. There is no punishment if you don't and no reward if you do. So how does stepping onto the roof into an ambush make the entire trip up previous to that mean nothing? 

The way I see it you were able to enjoy stealth gameplay for 95% of the entire trip which means it was meaningful and you were enjoying the benefits of your perks and that playstyle. You got to play that way for most of the trip.

Now if there were bonus rewards for remaining in stealth for the entire 100% and an ambush trigger made accomplishing that impossible then I would be in complete agreement that the rooftop made your entire stealth trip meaningless since you would fail those bonuses.

If you were only able to stealth for less than 50% of your trip I could see that as wasted points on stealth since in less than half of every case you were getting no benefit from your points. But you stealth-tripped the whole thing until the roof. You got majority benefit by a huge margin. 

What if the ambush had happened at the start of the quest when you first entered and then after cleaning that up the whole rest of the POI was able to be finished through stealth? Would the 5% ambushing at the beginning feel better than the 5% ambushing at the end?

Again, I agree completely that there needs to be some adjustments applied to stealth and triggers and spawn volumes in general. But I think it is also clear that the developers aren't interested in creating POIs that can be stealthed 100% and that they want a few ambush situations to mix things up. But as long as they don't add rewards or penalties dependent upon stealthing an entire quest I don't see why if your stealth doesn't work in a couple of situations it invalidates stealth for all situations.

On 7/4/2023 at 1:51 PM, The_Great_Sephiroth said:

In other words, keep the triggers, but don't over-use them.

I agree with this. But nobody is going to agree on the definition of "over-use" haha :)

6 hours ago, Roland said:

I'm not defending the triggers but I would like to understand this statement. There is no achievement to be earned by 100% stealthing a POI. There is no punishment if you don't and no reward if you do. So how does stepping onto the roof into an ambush make the entire trip up previous to that mean nothing? 

The way I see it you were able to enjoy stealth gameplay for 95% of the entire trip which means it was meaningful and you were enjoying the benefits of your perks and that playstyle. You got to play that way for most of the trip.

Now if there were bonus rewards for remaining in stealth for the entire 100% and an ambush trigger made accomplishing that impossible then I would be in complete agreement that the rooftop made your entire stealth trip meaningless since you would fail those bonuses.

If you were only able to stealth for less than 50% of your trip I could see that as wasted points on stealth since in less than half of every case you were getting no benefit from your points. But you stealth-tripped the whole thing until the roof. You got majority benefit by a huge margin. 

What if the ambush had happened at the start of the quest when you first entered and then after cleaning that up the whole rest of the POI was able to be finished through stealth? Would the 5% ambushing at the beginning feel better than the 5% ambushing at the end?

Again, I agree completely that there needs to be some adjustments applied to stealth and triggers and spawn volumes in general. But I think it is also clear that the developers aren't interested in creating POIs that can be stealthed 100% and that they want a few ambush situations to mix things up. But as long as they don't add rewards or penalties dependent upon stealthing an entire quest I don't see why if your stealth doesn't work in a couple of situations it invalidates stealth for all situations.

I agree with this. But nobody is going to agree on the definition of "over-use" haha :)

Roland, I was referring to a newer POI that had excessive use of the triggers. Every other room I was being attacked by six or eight just because I was there. In other words, the POI was designed for Rambo or Conan. I survived, but I try to conserve my ammo for horde nights, not POIs.

Edited by The_Great_Sephiroth
Spelling (see edit history)