(A21) Server Side Vehicles

arramus

The A21 Server Side Vehicles can be found here.

Github https://github.com/arramus/A21-ServerSideVehicles
Nexus https://www.nexusmods.com/7daystodie/mods/4510

They're back!

The original concept from Snufkin for customized Server Side Vehicles using base assets returns in its intended form, with a collection of the most functional vehicles for A21.

These are using an attachment buff on top of additional customized features and at best are considered experimental. Thank you to Oakraven and Snufkin for contributing to this pack. Thank you also to the Guppy Modding community for finding a workaround for these decorative attachments.

Features:

- Server side mod doesn't require the client to install

- Custom decorative attachments to default vehicles and game assets

- Performance boosts to speed, performance, hop capability, and buff defense

- Hooked into regular vehicles

spacer.png

Known and Potential issues:
- Janky. They may have performance issues due to processing demands.

- A red console warning tells us an asset is using an outdated Unity feature, and nothing can be done about that. It was reported as a 'bug' but it is not a priority issue since we are using these vehicles in ways which were never intended. This warning appears to be simply that.
- They push speed to server limits and chunks may need 'catch up' where server hardware is a little sub par.

Edited by arramus
Update to buffs and performance. (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

I have been waiting for this mod. Thank you very much.
I installed it on my server as soon as July 1.
By the way, while the sharks are flying, all players in the server can hear the sound of the sharks (water noise).
Even players who are not on the shark and players who are miles away from the shark.
Can this be improved?

Go to the vehicles.xml for the Shark Blimp.

Change

<property class="fuelTank">
            <property name="class" value="FuelTank"/>
            <property name="capacity" value="400"/>
        </property>

to

<!--property class="fuelTank">
        </property-->

The Shark Blimp does not need fuel. Adding fuel makes the sound. Removing the ability to add fuel with stop the sound. This removes the ability.

• 2 weeks later...

Bdubs Vehicles are complete models that are imported into the game to provide their custom cosmetics.
Since 7 Days to Die cannot send these assets directly to players, everybody must have them added to their Mods folder.

Server Side Vehicles do not contain any custom resources. All assets are already existing in 7 Days to Die.
Only the host/Server needs to have them installed because players already have the assets in the 7 Days to Die game files.

As for the cosmetic modification:

- Bdubs Vehicles are imported vehicle models with no need to attach anything else.

- Server Side Vehicles are existing game vehicle models + additional existing game models that are attached to the vehicle models.

The reason they cannot currently be seen is because the 'buff' which allows them to be attached is not functional in A21.

Custom Assets vs Existing Assets applied to Existing Assets, is the primary difference.

The best we can ask anyone to do at the moment is to close their eyes and imagine leaping over a row of Navezgane school buses on a Hell Beast with burning spears alongside the frame and a cow skull handlebar guard shimmering throughout the jump...

That's as good as it gets for now.

And maybe also take a look at the icon I use under my username.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/13/2023 at 10:06 PM, arramus said:

Go to the vehicles.xml for the Shark Blimp.

Change

<property class="fuelTank">
        </property>

to

<!--property class="fuelTank">
        </property-->

The Shark Blimp does not need fuel. Adding fuel makes the sound. Removing the ability to add fuel with stop the sound. This removes the ability.

hello. Fixed as instructed, but there are still underwater sounds for players on all maps when riding Shark Blimp.

Try replacing

0, .7, 1, .1, -9, .12, .1, Sounds/Misc/underwater_lp,

with

0, .7, 1, .1, -9, .12, .1, Vehicles/Minibike/minibike_idle_lp_,

for vehicles.xml / <vehicle name="vehicleSharkBlimp">

or even nothing

0, .7, 1, .1, -9, .12, .1, ,

It is possible to use the texture/model in the zombie mod. It is not yet possible to use the model in a vehicle mod because the model will not attach to a vehicle.

It may be possible in the future. The game developers have received a bug report about vehicles not allowing attachments. It is their choice from here.

20 hours ago, arramus said:

It is possible to use the texture/model in the zombie mod. It is not yet possible to use the model in a vehicle mod because the model will not attach to a vehicle.

It may be possible in the future. The game developers have received a bug report about vehicles not allowing attachments. It is their choice from here.

The sooner I can fly with the sharks, the happier I am.
Thanks for everything.

• arramus changed the title to (A21) Server Side Vehicles

I have installed this in a SP game I'm playing to test. It appears that the minibike is an ingredient to make the spiderbike, and so forth.  Very interesting. I like that it is server-side. I have some questions.

Are the speed buffs applied to the vanilla vehicles? If so, how can I turn that off? I'd like the vanilla vehicles to remain ... vanilla.

In the Magic Bus, is there a way to swap out some of seats for even more storage? We are a three-person team and this could become our traveling base. Don't need 9 seats.

Nice work!

Edited by Max Headroom (see edit history)

The Vanilla vehicles remain untouched. Only the Server Side Vehicles are given buffed features and decoratives.

For compatibility, the Magic Bus uses the 4x4 default storage container size at 9x9.

Using Sparrow's Vehicle Storage Mod can increase it to 10x10.
https://7daystodiemods.com/sparrows-vehicle-storage-mod/

There is a limit on how large they can be expanded within the default interface.

Alternatively go to your Data/Config/loot.xml on the server files or client host files. Search for vehicle4x4Truck storage and change the current size="9,9" to something larger that the interface can accept within its boundaries.

18 minutes ago, arramus said:

The Vanilla vehicles remain untouched. Only the Server Side Vehicles are given buffed features and decoratives.

For compatibility, the Magic Bus uses the 4x4 default storage container size at 9x9.

Using Sparrow's Vehicle Storage Mod can increase it to 10x10.
https://7daystodiemods.com/sparrows-vehicle-storage-mod/

There is a limit on how large they can be expanded within the default interface.

Alternatively go to your Data/Config/loot.xml on the server files or client host files. Search for vehicle4x4Truck storage and change the current size="9,9" to something larger that the interface can accept within its boundaries.

Found it. I'd like the storage buff but only for the Magic Bus and not to the base 4x4. Can I create a small loot.xml in the mod folder with a lootcontainer section for vehicleMagicBus and bump it up there?

OK, the https://7daystodiemods.com/better-vehicles/ mod by Donovan contains an XUi change that controls the number of rows and columns available in the vehicle storage area. Works great up to 13 rows by 11 columns when I make storage size changes directly to Data/Config/loot.xml as stated above.

Now he also has a config in his loot.xml in which he overrides the lootcontainer specs for the various vehicles.  When I move that over, it does not override the 4x4Truck storage. I was hoping it would, then I could us it to override vehicleMagicBus. 

Still noodling at this...

Creating a new lootcontainer named vehicleMagicBus in the vanilla loot.xml allows me to change the LootListAlive in the vehicleMagicBus entity_class allows me to control storage separate from the 4x4Truck. It works.

What I can't figure out is how to move the lootcontainer spec out of the delivered loot.xml and into the mod loot.xml. 

Congratulations on finding a storage container setting specific to your needs. A custom setting was used in the A18 version of this mod and is in the archives for reference if it is ever needed. Keeping it at default maintains compatibility with other mods that sometimes perform broad spectrum overwrites, and it'll stay as that for the time being.