Weird issue where player and zombie animations start playing 1/2 or 1/4 speed

jdifran

I have been getting a really annoying issue where my character animations (attack, reload, movement, etc.) as well as the zombie animations start playing at 1/2 or sometimes 1/4 speed.  This includes using the bicycle and minibike, which move at a fraction of their normal speed and suddenly lurch forward as though they're trying to keep up.  I am fairly certain that it is somehow triggered by opening containers, as it often happens in my base and when looting POIs.  The only fix has been to log out and back in, and I've had to abandon quests because obviously you can't fight the loot room swarm when everything is running at 1/4 speed.  This happens several times an hour.

This issue happens on a multiplayer server, but only one other player has ever experienced it, and apparently only one time.  I have uninstalled and done a clean install, which has not fixed the issue. Note that this is not a framerate issue as I'm consistently getting 30-60 fps, nor is it a latency issue as I'm on fiber and have pings under 20.

Has anyone seen anything like this?