Can Anyone help? Updating blocks!

Hi guys,

so i am trying to finish one of my older POI's (reactor 4) but it's been a while and a VAST majority of the blocks are out of date (the blue square with a question mark). i've tried using the F1 commands: prefabupdater loadtable, and then prefabupdater updateblocks to no success. if anyone knows a way to get it working it would be very grateful.

thanks in advance for any help!

Those are the commands I have in my notes. Things I can think of:

1. You're doing this at the game's main menu, right?
  2. You're using A20 to bring an A19 POI up to A20, right?
  3. You haven't gotten rid of the game's Data/Config/BlockUpdates.csv file, right?
  4. You haven't modified the game's Data/Config/BlockUpdates.csv file, right? Of if you did, you don't have any errors in the format, right?
  5. Your custom POI is in %AppData%/Roaming/7DaysToDie/LocalPrefabs or in your modlet, right? You might also be able to put it with the game's files, but I've not worked that way.
Edited by zztong (see edit history)

8 minutes ago, zztong said:

Those are the commands I have in my notes. Things I can think of:

1. You're doing this at the game's main menu, right?
  2. You're using A20 to bring an A19 POI up to A20, right?
  3. You haven't gotten rid of the game's Data/Config/BlockUpdates.csv file, right?
  4. You haven't modified the game's Data/Config/BlockUpdates.csv file, right? Of if you did, you don't have any errors in the format, right?

Hi,

well, i had to reinstall all of 7 days afresh as i bought a new machine. the poi's i brought over from my backup files. so:

1. yep tried that, and also tried it from within the editor just to check.

2. correct.

3. am assuming that will be whatever is there from the fresh download of 7DTD

4. no modifications made.

thanks again. it's got me puzzled.

1 hour ago, Quagmire1428 said:

in the recommended UDF location. However, i think a couple are in folders in there. the POI editor finds them without any trouble tho. but do you think this might be causing an issue?

If the POI Editor is finding them, then I think your location should be good.

Hi,

well, using the F1 console commands, "prefabupdater loadtable" and "prefabupdater updateblocks" i was able to bring back a slightly older build of the POI but the most recent one is still just a no go, so at worst i guess i've got a lot of catching back up to do on it. lost about 25hrs worth of work at this rate. ho hum, it happens i guess.

thank you to everyone who's helped out tho :)

8 hours ago, Quagmire1428 said:

the most recent one is still just a no go

If you were to find me on Discord, or otherwise had a way to get me your A19 POI, I'd be willing to try and do the block update process. If it worked for me I could send back an A20 version.

On 6/7/2023 at 8:04 AM, Quagmire1428 said:

well, using the F1 console commands, "prefabupdater loadtable" and "prefabupdater updateblocks" i was able to bring back a slightly older build of the POI but the most recent one is still just a no go, so at worst i guess i've got a lot of catching back up to do on it. lost about 25hrs worth of work at this rate. ho hum, it happens i guess.

Are you still having trouble? I'm not sure if this will work, but you could try using the Replace Blocks tool within the Level/Prefab Editor. You can find it under the Level Tools 2 tab.

image.thumb.png.86384410730c0efa52610b7d4588bce5.png

• 3 weeks later...

You need to open the command console and run the commands to auto convert/update your POI's.
So the way I do it is to open Prefab Editor, press F1, then copy/paste:
prefabupdater loadtable
Press Enter
and then Copy/Paste
prefabupdater updateblocks
Press Enter
It will then show you a list of what prefabs were updated.

However, this doesn't auto update every single broken block. You may still have a lot of blocks left (the blue ? boxes) that need manually updating.

So then as @AH64_Jimbo mentioned above, the quickest way to manually sort out any remaining block errors is to use the replace function.
Choose "missingBlock" and "air", hit "Replace Blocks", Save, Exit, and Reopen. Then all of the block errors will have gone, but you will now be left with empty gaps where those block errors were, that will require you to go through manually and add new blocks/items back in in their place.