Where are the cobwebs?

Jinx_DG

It wasn't until recently that I noticed how "clean" the poi's and world in general looks, even including the destroyed buildings. They look empty and some even broke down, but not abandoned. 

I would expect to see signs of critter taking over, such as cobwebs in the corners or hanging off the lamps and various items left about. (I'm not saying add spiders or bugs, god please no....) I know the game has these hanging white wisps that are suppose to be cobwebs, but they miss the mark in how they look and there general placement.

Also missing is the  nature take over one would expect when an area or poi is not maintained. Such as vines, dead leaf piles, overgrown plant life, ect.  I would also expect to see more graffiti on buildings and even inside poi's. Not sure if any of this is possible, but as great as the new city look and poi designs are, which I absolutely love, I'd think a bit more visual  abandoned spookiness atmosphere would add to the game.

What are your thoughts on this?  

Weell, it's a bit of a timeline issue. Every other coffee maker has a fresh brew going, and the employees are diligently at their desks, so the apocalypse happened this morning. Then again, every parking meter has been retrofitted to run on duke's tokens, so the duke took over all the cities and the economy well before the fall. Not sure how the military got around to arriving between the morning and the current time, but they sure got overrun fast ... :)

12 minutes ago, theFlu said:

Weell, it's a bit of a timeline issue. Every other coffee maker has a fresh brew going, and the employees are diligently at their desks, so the apocalypse happened this morning. Then again, every parking meter has been retrofitted to run on duke's tokens, so the duke took over all the cities and the economy well before the fall. Not sure how the military got around to arriving between the morning and the current time, but they sure got overrun fast ... :)

Lol!  I could see the possibility of all spiders being wiped out, though the fact we have flowers shows that there are at least some insects left.

I don't care much about webs, though I wouldn't be against it.  However, I would love to see vines and overgrown areas. Great idea there!  I can live without the graffiti.

16 minutes ago, theFlu said:

You underestimate the power of spiders with the weaving of their webs and accumilating an aura of disarray. I can practically sit and watch both happen before my eyes. How TF did I accumilate a sink full of dirty dishes when all I had was a sandwich? And lets not talk about the spider that wanted to get close and personal last night.... I still haven't found that @%$#er.  

12 minutes ago, Riamus said:

Lol!  I could see the possibility of all spiders being wiped out, though the fact we have flowers shows that there are at least some insects left.

I don't care much about webs, though I wouldn't be against it.  However, I would love to see vines and overgrown areas. Great idea there!  I can live without the graffiti.

My observation was more about the visuals that would tell a story of length in time. Examples if you will. I could def see a bit of graffiti in the city underpasses and/or sewer systems. 

20 minutes ago, Jinx_DG said:

My observation was more about the visuals that would tell a story of length in time. Examples if you will. I could def see a bit of graffiti in the city underpasses and/or sewer systems. 

I agree that it would show time passed and I'm fine with it, but we would be taking about webs everywhere for it to be realistic and not just something that was tossed in occasionally.

I also would expect graffiti in any realistic city, but knowing that it would just be a repeat of a limited number of things, I think it would just end up looking bad.  If that was something a mod could add to their own POI, which I think it can be done by just making your own shapes, then I think that would be better.

2 hours ago, Riamus said:

I agree that it would show time passed and I'm fine with it, but we would be taking about webs everywhere for it to be realistic and not just something that was tossed in occasionally.

I also would expect graffiti in any realistic city, but knowing that it would just be a repeat of a limited number of things, I think it would just end up looking bad.  If that was something a mod could add to their own POI, which I think it can be done by just making your own shapes, then I think that would be better.

Good points I hadn't considered about the graffiti. I'm grudgingly and with feet kicking giving up the cobwebs. What I see in my minds eye would only work as static and not voxel. Still think the poi's and towns look to clean though, but it's not something I'm willing to defend to the death. 

Well I think I read one time in lore, and someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I heard zombies are not fond of cobwebs. That is why a lot of times in movies you will see them moving with their arms out it front of them, to clear away the webs.

And with so many zombies in the world well lets say the cobwebs didn't stand a chance.

Here you can see a cobwebs eyeview of zombies finishing up a room.

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.m4nO8zz634J3QhZUmRGDvwHaE7%26pid%3DApi&f=1&ipt=14d41f0132d91d04952c2d7b57587c7fd4d8033aa579dcfa526ac420aee66284&ipo=images

Edited by Gamida (see edit history)

13 hours ago, Jinx_DG said:

Good points I hadn't considered about the graffiti. I'm grudgingly and with feet kicking giving up the cobwebs. What I see in my minds eye would only work as static and not voxel. Still think the poi's and towns look to clean though, but it's not something I'm willing to defend to the death. 

Oh, I do think it would be good, but I have a feeling any way it gets done would not work well.  Graffiti if limited to perhaps the few bridges and underpasses would probably be fine, but I'm just thinking about how it looks with so many duplicate paintings and seeing the same problem with graffiti.  Maybe webs could be kept to just some objects and would look okay.  But just going by an unused room in my basement, we couldn't make it look even close to realistic without it just looking bad at the same time.  We can say zombie movement breaks anything in main areas and only webs are on objects, but I'm not sure that they would make the webs look good enough without detracting from the objects themselves.  I like the idea, but I just don't think it would look good in the end with how it gets done.  I could be wrong.

I could definitely see graffiti of TFP. 😁

2 minutes ago, Gamida said:

I do remember the cobwebs. I also recall breaking them and not getting anything for it. Only thing in game I recall that happening for.

Maybe that is why they were removed. To gain back that slot for another block.

They weren't removed. They are still there in a few POI doorways.  Still give you nothing when you break them.