(A12) The Walking Dead Mod

Chaosocks

doycliw.jpg

[CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD V1-2]

AUG 27 - A12.5 RELEASE! REDOWNLOAD!

Restart servers/save games!

Or download it on The Nexus!!

------------

Make suggestions for the A13 version of this mod!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Features of the Walking Dead Mod

• Zombie Overhaul, Walking Dead style, headshots kill fast, zombies are slow!
  • Melee Overhaul, every hit matters, stun zombies, no more AI exploit dance!
  • NEW BUFF SYSTEM! Every bite is dangerous and requires varying levels treatment!
  • Tool Overhaul, specific tools for specific jobs! More realistic in depth looting!
  • Loot/Recipe Overhaul, cooking takes longer, building is more complex, and more!
  • Prefab/RWG Overhaul, complements of Sa-Matra's Mod (minus the lakes)
  • Lots of little tweaks to encourage roleplaying and Iron Man style games!

In game settings?:

- Enemy Memory: 90 seconds

- Loot Respawn: Never

- Drop on death: Everything

- Crates: 7 Days

Large numbers of zombies will spawn, you may want to tweak your graphics to compensate.

New In This Update:

My new buff system is implemented, zombies inflict a number of random kinds of wounds which can be from minor, to severe. Antiseptic bandages are now an important part of keeping yourself from getting infected, and can be crafted with alcohol and cloth! Infection kills a lot faster now as well. Beds now slowly restore your health if you stand on them. Gore blocks generate heat, this is a very important part of gameplay now, and makes things very tense and fun. To compensate, shovels have been buffed to do extra damage to them. Also tweaked dropped back packs to be harder to destroy. Not indestructible though.

I have removed some features in this version (though they may come back later) to minimize glitches.

Lakes were removed, but the flooding glitch is gone. I removed the silenced pistol do to glitch messing up the original pistol recipe.

Detailed Changes:

Zombies: I removed most zombies from the game so only the really generic humanoid ones are left, raised the health of all zombies a LOT. Now every single hit from them will inflict nasty buffs, so you have to avoid getting hit! Their damage to blocks has been tweaked as well as their AI to make base building a bit more interesting. Zombie's no longer instantly spot you when shot, but they will go looking for you. Zombies no longer specifically target doors either. (they are dumb) Different kinds of zombies will do more damage to different kinds of materials, making no one material the best. (concrete and metal are still pretty boss though) More zombies spawn in populated areas, and less zombies in un-populated areas!

Hordes:

I have disabled 7 day hordes, and hordes no longer escalate based on the day. Instead the sizes are more random. However, certain days will trigger certain hordes. Things such as hordes of burning zombies and hordes of snow zombies can happen now!! Heat hordes are now harder to notice, killing ALL scouts is nearly impossible, once they know you are there, they know.. Combined with increased cooking times should easily make up for the lack of 7 day hordes. Heat is your main threat.

Weapons/Tools: All tools have been tweaked to do specific damage to specific materials, instead of all tools being jack-of-all-trades with a bonus to one material. Melee weapons now apply stun to anything they hit. Tools do NOT stun zombies though! The clubs have been re-balanced so all 4 are useful on their own, and very different. Guns have been slightly tweaked as well, shotguns only have 2 rounds instead of 8. Lastly, all weapons and tools that requires metal strips to repair now require DUCT TAPE INSTEAD!!

Buffs: Buffs are now designed to be more realistic, things do damage and apply effects over a large amount of time. Every hit applies buffs now, try not to get bit! Several new buffs are in the game as well. They are meant to fit in with the vanilla buffs!

Building: Building now requires more complicated resources to gather, and wood was been made twice as hard to acquire, this effectively makes the game more about reinforcing prefabs then building epic bases. The "walking" dead is as implies, you are constantly on the move. A long term base just turns into a zombie hot spot.

Loot: Nothing major here. It's built around having loot respawn DISABLED. Because of this, Gun Chests contain epic loot now.

RWG Tweaks: Compliments of Sa-Matra's Mod, lots of new prefabs from Magoli's Pack are introduced, giving your towns and cities a lot more variety!

Questions and Answers:

What is the main reason for this mod?:

Role playing and survival. Two things that should be at the core of this game, that aren't. At least not yet.

You can play the game at your own pace now, but no matter what you will never feel safe.

If you want to know what it really feels like to survive the Apocalypse, this mod is for you.

This mod makes the game a lot easier right?:

No. If you enjoy playing Iron Man Mode, I urge you to try this mod!

Does this work in multiplayer?:

It should work just fine! It is pure XML based, which means only the server/host needs these files, not the client!

Co-op with just a few people should work 100% fine, I have NO TESTING AT ALL for entire servers though.

*RWG edits totally untested on servers

Can I use this for my server files?:

Yes! Just let me know, and tell me how it goes! I have no testing with servers, and would love to know how it goes!

*RWG edits totally untested on servers

Is this balanced?:

YEESSS. I am very picky about balance, I consider my mod to be more balanced then the vanilla game. It really isn't to much different, most tweaks are small, and it won't honestly be to obvious. Every single feature added is considered for balance, and every single thing removed is put through the same consideration.

Is this compatible with...

In general, if it replaces the same XMLs, no. If it's a small mod, you can probably combine them yourself. If it's really epic with my mod, I may combine it myself.

Can you put {X} back into the game?:

No. Everything removed from the game for this mod was done with very deliberate literal intent, either for lore or balance. Not simply because I didn't like it.

Alright, I'll fix it next time I edit the post!

So many of the new features go well with this mod!

I am excited myself to see what I can do with this version <3

I intend to see just how many zombies I can get this game to spit out at you, huhu

If they are slow you can handle the FPS when that super horde comes more?

The lack of rivers will make my ability to control your food and water in take wonderfully! The motorbike is going to be really fun to play with... I wonder if I can make whole bikes spawn... hmmm

I am thinking about hugely increasing zombie respawns, so zombies have to be cleared, but once cleared don't really come back, except for the hordes.

I kinda like to bounce ideas off you to make sure our mods stay pretty different TBH. XD

• 2 weeks later...

Oh my god, seriously, what the actual ♥♥♥♥. I literally JUST finished this mod 15 minutes ago only to have the game update and invalidate half my work. GOD I am getting so tired of this. if I wait for an update it takes a month, if I start right after one it hits in a few days.

So I basically have to start over AGAIN. =_= I would like for just ONCE for my mod to work for at least a DAY, god damn.

Oh my god, seriously, what the actual ♥♥♥♥. I literally JUST finished this mod 15 minutes ago only to have the game update and invalidate half my work. GOD I am getting so tired of this. if I wait for an update it takes a month, if I start right after one it hits in a few days.

So I basically have to start over AGAIN. =_= I would like for just ONCE for my mod to work for at least a DAY, god damn.

I thought it was just me that happened too ^^ I feel your pain.

See if you have Shadow Volume Copy enabled on your system and you might be able to restore at least some of the work (right click on the folder -> Properties -> Previous Versions)

You can also just copy/paste the entire 7DTD folder and work in that. The game still loads fine and you have access to the saves but when the game updates it will update the original folder and not your copy with the edits.

Hal

I thought it was just me that happened too ^^ I feel your pain.

See if you have Shadow Volume Copy enabled on your system and you might be able to restore at least some of the work (right click on the folder -> Properties -> Previous Versions)

You can also just copy/paste the entire 7DTD folder and work in that. The game still loads fine and you have access to the saves but when the game updates it will update the original folder and not your copy with the edits.

Hal

Luckily I back up my mods now, cause after the first 3 times that happened it sorta occurred to me it might be a good idea.

I can copy paste over a lot of it, but the main one is the items.xml which I put like, 8 hours into last night, that even copy-pasting over the individual things will take hours and hours. =_=

Combine this with me being repeatedly pelted with spawning glitches worse then I've seen in any other alpha... I mean, literally attacking one zombie will spawn 5~6 around me in a circle sometimes... >_< At least it use to only be one behind you... and I am getting very discouraged from this game.

I'm very curious on how you are going to mod the player melee hits to stun everytime they attack.

I actually already had this working just fine! ^_^

I had to edit every single weapon in the game... which I already had to re-do once cause the first version kept spitting out console errors for a reason I could never track down. Now I get to redo it again... lol

it took a lot of balancing, but melee feels a lot a better with this mod! Whacking one zombie will shift the dynamic of an entire hoard as his buddies slam into him.

Hey. Downloaded it, and tried it out over the day. So far no problems, and I really like the basic concept of many of the changes you made. I'm currently tweaking a few minor things more to my liking, but overall your mod plays well for me. Good work on this :)

When I'm done with the changes, and the next map wipe is necessary, I will probably use my edited version of your mod for our small server, if that's okay with you. :joyous:

It certainly is, I would love to know how it goes if you do! =3

Its pretty rough, so I can imagine most people wanting to tweak it a little.

I really enjoyed the 3~4 hours of testing I did yesterday, so I'm glad to hear others are to!

If you want to you can let me know what tweaks you made, and why.

I will continue to update this mod through each patch,though it may take me a few days after the patch hits, cause I have to rebuild parts from scratch, test, sit around my house and watch TV.

Another thing what I found, I loaded mod on my map (day 20 something) and when I pick crossbow to the hand I got console spam. ALT + F4 works fine :D

And sorry for my eng, few years from school and I am not eng speaker :)

Yeah, I copied over a large chunk of the items file from A12.1 since it would have taken me like, hours to rewrite...

All I SHOULD have to do is copy over the new crossbow code from A12.2 and then re-edit it for my mod (though I didn't even edit it much) I will try to fix it later tonight!

If you know how you can do it yourself until then, I personally just suggest not using the crossbow in the mean time. Which I realize is kinda crappy cause everyone wants to try out those explosive bolts! lol

The game is mostly balanced to make the crossbow a for-fun weapon anyways, the bow is for early game, and guns are more common.

But of coarse, many walking dead fans wanna be daryl... I will fix this ASAP. ^_^

The items.xml was the only file changed! ^_^

GOOD! I was hoping it was really that easy! <3

Can't believe I missed it the first time... >_>

EDIT: OH CRAP, I just realized I didn't update the head damage on the steal and iron bolts.

Um, I've already fixed it though, and am uploading it now. I was so focused on fixing the crossbow itself I forgot to update the new arrow types.

This can be tweaked yourself easily, just double the damage bonus to head from 6 to 12 for both of them. Zombies have a lot more health with this mod, without this bonus these bolts will probably feel weaker then the stone ones.

Exploding works 100% fine though.

In my opinion this mod ist not enough "The Walking Dead"...

- In TWD there are NO ferals, spiders oder running zombies. In TWD the biggest danger are big hordes.

- every headshot has to be lethal to the zombies. Especially things like fireaxe or pikaxe has to be lethal when hitting zombies head. Remember Dr. Jenner... Damage to the brain and everything is just fine. No matter if it is a bolt, arrowor just even a pen...

The challenge is to hold up the difficulty balance.

In my opinion this mod ist not enough "The Walking Dead"...

- In TWD there are NO ferals, spiders oder running zombies. In TWD the biggest danger are big hordes.

- every headshot has to be lethal to the zombies. Especially things like fireaxe or pikaxe has to be lethal when hitting zombies head. Remember Dr. Jenner... Damage to the brain and everything is just fine. No matter if it is a bolt, arrowor just even a pen...

The challenge is to hold up the difficulty balance.

I agree, but trying to do that balanced is hard.

I am getting close, if I could get more testing I could probably figure it out.

The only way I can totally remove feral zombies is if I remove the 7 day horde entirely though.

I don't know if I want to do something that dramatic?

The main issue is, this game isn't built to withstand zombies in the hundreds like what would be needed to make it balanced to make it full blown 'walking dead'

This isn't to far out of the reach of the walking dead though, as very aggressive deranged zombies. Maybe some mutated form of the virus?

It is quite challanging to make the zombies all slow and non-special and killable in one head shot, but still a threat.

Archived