(A12) The Walking Dead Mod

Chaosocks

Storage chests should be pretty small! like, 3x3.. Are they not?

I tried making them 3x2 but it just ended up being not worth it early game. Maybe if I could alter the backpack size...

If I could change the backpack to like, 8 slots then I could have a lot more fun with the sizing, I might even go in and change stack sizes for a lot of stuff. I'd rather wait until vehicles are implemented though, since there is no other way to move large amounts of materials if I do that now.

Storage chests should be pretty small! like, 3x3.. Are they not?

I tried making them 3x2 but it just ended up being not worth it early game. Maybe if I could alter the backpack size...

If I could change the backpack to like, 8 slots then I could have a lot more fun with the sizing, I might even go in and change stack sizes for a lot of stuff. I'd rather wait until vehicles are implemented though, since there is no other way to move large amounts of materials if I do that now.

Yeah they are 3 X 3. Got spoiled with original storage chests. Decided to take up shelter in a town on top of a house. Later found out what happens if you stop moving. First saw a group of the lumberjacks go by that I managed to avoid getting their attention. Later that night Day 5 a nice size horde found me. Guessing the came for my campfire. It was awesome clearing them out and still working on them. I love the town. The new prefabs are amazing and make it a whole new game. Really keep up the great work.

Lumber Jack Horde!

Horde.thumb.jpg.aa0b6b3e39938e7f2609eddf4957684a.jpg

There should be burning zombie hordes on occasion too, though they are rarer. ^__^ I am glad the snow zombie hordes are working right!

I found a post in the thread for the RWG tweaks I am using, if this tweak works it will fix the cities spawning in water issue, it will just make lakes rarer. (Sort of a plus in this mod)

It's one quick edit, and is really only needed if you go to make a new character or start a new game!

There should be burning zombie hordes on occasion too, though they are rarer. ^__^ I am glad the snow zombie hordes are working right!

I found a post in the thread for the RWG tweaks I am using, if this tweak works it will fix the cities spawning in water issue, it will just make lakes rarer. (Sort of a plus in this mod)

It's one quick edit, and is really only needed if you go to make a new character or start a new game!

Just keep us posted. I am about to put it on our server.

Is there something I need to do, or am I good to add it to my server?

Well, if you do the central city check for the seed you are using you are 100% fine.

All I am trying to do is make it so you don't HAVE to do a check. Even when this fix releases you really don't need to download it till you start a new character.

If you play a lot of short Ironman style games, then waiting might be worth it.

The only real game play change will be less lakes. This will make finding water slightly harder, but nothing game changing.

Um, all my attempts to implement the fix made my game crash. If i get it working I will upload it ASAP.

I'm so anxious to get a game in with the new updates, it's killing me. We didn't get the chance to play yet so unfortunately I have no news or stories. I'm afraid I am not on-board with any backpack changes though. It's already torture for hoarders like us with the current size. While I understand the realism is tarnished a bit carrying so much at a time, it's just one of the necessary evils of a digital game. Since we lack the options of real world solutions (wheelbarrow, travois, wagon, etc.) a compromise is met. As more options open up, such as equip-able backpacks and the like, character storage can be played with and variations of size of backpack can be made dependent on quality and type.

More realism is great, and encouraged, but certain lines need to be drawn to favor enjoyment as well. And from my opinion only, having to manage my loot more than I already have to would suck some fun out of it. Now...stack size on the other hand, has some wiggle room and may provide you with options currently available that can be modified to add some more realism and difficultly. Just be mindful of the struggle TFP goes through when determining enjoyment/difficulty vs realism. I think they've made some smart choices on many things for their current system that will obviously change in the future, but some things are a little over the top, there to satisfy a large audience.

Cannot wait to jump in, and really happy to see another one of us crazies here. If funds were available I'd very much be considering renting a server to bring all us like-minded players together and see how we do.

With the current system, I think how I currently have handled storage is fine. It serves to make bases less helpful early game, and helps promote the nomadic style of the game! ^_^ I MAY get into stack size editing in a later update...

I was debating on renting a server from blue fang, getting it set up with 15~20 slots (that means number of characters who can join right?

Have it basically a private 'role playing' server, not really PVE or PVP, but KoS would be totally disallowed, but at the same time never assume someone is friendly, cause they may be RPing as a madman.

If I could get a decent number of people who would be regulars on it and make it worth it, I just may do it! ^__^

I put this on my server and my group of players are loving it. The craft timers are driving everyone mad...haha. 94 minutes to boil some water, but he it is life. The accept it and are loving it. Just keep finding wasteland biomes at the moment. Nests are proving hard to find and arrows are few. We are having a great time.

In my testing I was drinking yucca more then water anyways, and there is no short of water in loot.

For servers with multiple people, a bit faster cook time might be appropriate.

I was debating on lowering them n this latest build, but ended up getting to involved in testing new features.

lowering the boiling water time from 120 to 90, and the canned water time from 170 to 120 would be my suggestion! (the coffee and tea can prolly be dropped to 120 as well)

I will test this out myself on SP and see if it's too short for my liking!

Arrows are suppose to be that rare though! lol You should have to think about each shot.

In my testing I was drinking yucca more then water anyways, and there is no short of water in loot.

For servers with multiple people, a bit faster cook time might be appropriate.

I was debating on lowering them n this latest build, but ended up getting to involved in testing new features.

lowering the boiling water time from 120 to 90, and the canned water time from 170 to 120 would be my suggestion! (the coffee and tea can prolly be dropped to 120 as well)

I will test this out myself on SP and see if it's too short for my liking!

Arrows are suppose to be that rare though! lol You should have to think about each shot.

Where would that change get made?

I established a small underground base. I dug into the side of a hill rather than straight down, which was good because I didn't have nails for a hatch. A bear had spawned, wrecking zombies all around me until they overcame it. Then the first horde showed up. No biggie, I heard the footsteps and crouched down to let it pass.

Then the second horde showed up. Must have been two dozen zombies, walking right over my base. It seems they like to attack natural stone if it's in their path, so a few did that. That wasn't a problem, but I was heading back in for the second night and the horde saw me. They aren't too hard to kill with a wooden club, but if they hit you once it's over. I got through six before my luck ran out, bandaged up to stop the bleeding, then switched to my stone axe because my club was nearly broken. I killed one then but the next got me and it was all over.

The bow is really hard to use now and I nearly starved, unable to kill any animals. I can't get close enough to get a headshot and a body shot with a newbie bow and stone arrows won't kill a stag.

I didn't see any of the rwg changes in the file, so I'm going to redownload in case I have an old version. My next play through I'll try nomadic and see how that goes.

Anyway, looking through your spawning.xml, you made the same changes I had attempted, only yours worked. I'm going to just try mine again and see if that works.

ETA: This was in my log.

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
 at NGUIItemContextMenuLevelCraftCategoryItems.GetMenuItems () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

at ContextMenuLevel.Initialize (.UIContextMenuManager _contextMenuManager, UnityEngine.GameObject _prefabContextMenuItem, Vector3 _openPoint, Vector2 _openPointFlipOffsets) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

at UIContextMenuManager.OpenContextMenuLevel (System.Type _contextMenuLevelType, Vector3 _openPoint, Vector2 _openPointFlipOffsets) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

at ContextMenuItem.Navigate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

at ContextMenuItem.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

(Filename:  Line: -1)

I have played with the spawning XML for a loooong time, but I couldn't honestly tell you what I did right.

Though for your mod, you could probably try removing the the any/day spawns, and just have zombies spawn at night. This could give the general effect of zombies not being around much, but large hoards randomly tromping over your base. it would also make exploring at night dangerous-er.

Bows really aren't nerfed, arrows should just be harder to come by. I find hunting rabbits to be a very good source of meat.

Is that an error you found with my mod?

That's a pretty good idea, as I wanted nights to be a lot more dangerous than the day but without having the zombies run. But my main idea is to have no lone zombies, just hordes. A lone zombie isn't very threatening.

So you didn't change the bow at all? I'm having to adjust my aim vertical much more than I'm used to.

The error was occurring with your mod, but it turned out I was using an old version. I've just downloaded the current one. I'll let you know how that worked out.

I've been doing some more testing with this mod, and have had a few more cool ideas!

I want to rebuild the buffs system again. I like it, but I don't. =[

I am thinking of making wounds more random. Having a "deep wound" "fast bleeding wound" "light wound" etc, and having zombies do more damage from that, and making there attacks do less damage.

Also thinking about lowering zombie damage to blocks even further, since I am noticing them ripping through even metal and stone prefabs faster then I had hoped.

I am kinda waiting to see if we get an A12.5 before I try to make a new build!

With all the buffs zombies do in your mod, they could use a nerf to their damage. As for block damage, I think instead you might do more to reward nomadic play somehow. In the show, no place is good to stay in very long, and I like the idea of bases being easy to overcome.

Have you given any thought on how to deal with "burrowers" (players that build underground bases)?

I have been keeping quite since I'm not liking a lot of what the developers are planning to change with the micro management of the game. I wish they would focus on the big things and provide the framework for people like you to provide "options" on how to play the game without needing to unpack the app. No comment needed on this, I know you have a reasonable reputation to uphold.

So, THANK YOU again for persevering with this version of the game. Totally understand wanting to wait for the next update (since It's probably overdue).

You latest update is totally frigging awesome, though . It took a few tries to get a map that didn't have the hub 3 blocks under water. But have one now and am enjoying it. lots more variation with the buildings and terrain. The "flooded area's are proving to make it a bit more fun, I always felt the lack of water was a joke.

I know you do a fair bit of testing before release. Any chance you can provide your game name, as:

a) it saves us having to "confirm" the hub isn't underwater.

b) then we all know it is a "fair" map and we don't need to walk miles just to find a POI other then the hub.

I'd just like to suggest 2 options to slow down "burrowers".

1) Give ground Stone a really high strength that means you need the auger to break it (thus reserving it for late game), as I don't see many people in walking dead walking around with pick axe's. May need to rebalance loot (more "scrap",

or

2) Make soil / stone require support else it collapses.

I like the idea of having different "random" buffs on zombie attacks. Thus allowing you to have "bad bites" vs a little "nip".

Is it possible to change the rate that the infection progresses? or change the stage the the infection starts at?

Thanks again, Keep up the great work.

I've thought of making digging more tedious so digging is hard and restricted... I don't use the strategy myself, I guess if you play that way it kinda ruins the experience so I should do something about it. But, the auger would still allow for these sorts of bases, so it wouldn't disable them, just make them an end-game only thing.

And I don't want to reduce the damage to zero, just make them take a bit longer to rip into your base. I suppose if I did that though, then rebuilding it the day after would stack up each day... Hmm... I'll have to play with it and see.

I think I will nerf the overall damage and focus mostly on buffs to simulate an 'injury' system. Not having a wound should be the main focus of your game. I may even try to rebuild infection to be something that comes in different forms, some requiring several antibiotics or stronger antibiotics to kick, so that high end players with lots of antibiotics built up cant just tank their infections.

Also, if your wellness drops to the minimum, a single bite really ruins your day. =/ It's making me want to restart!

I feel like I've got most of the mod balanced out, but zombie damage is really tricky!

I am going to play on this version for a good bit more before I make any further changes, I don't want to change to much to fast.

I wish I could make zombies "jolt" ...move in fast bursts for a moment when they stop the player.

I've managed to make it so that they don't magically know where they are when you shoot them (Dunno if anyone noticed that, I realized it's not in the feature list) they will just start looking for you, and will then spot you if they see or smell you. It's really cool. When they spot the player and "alert growl" they change direction towards you. If I could make them move at a different speed for like, 2~5 seconds here, it would be awesome.I wouldn't give this to the fat ones though, don't worry.

I have been keeping quite since I'm not liking a lot of what the developers are planning to change with the micro management of the game. I wish they would focus on the big things and provide the framework for people like you to provide "options" on how to play the game without needing to unpack the app. No comment needed on this, I know you have a reasonable reputation to uphold.

So, THANK YOU again for persevering with this version of the game. Totally understand wanting to wait for the next update (since It's probably overdue).

You latest update is totally frigging awesome, though . It took a few tries to get a map that didn't have the hub 3 blocks under water. But have one now and am enjoying it. lots more variation with the buildings and terrain. The "flooded area's are proving to make it a bit more fun, I always felt the lack of water was a joke.

I know you do a fair bit of testing before release. Any chance you can provide your game name, as:

a) it saves us having to "confirm" the hub isn't underwater.

b) then we all know it is a "fair" map and we don't need to walk miles just to find a POI other then the hub.

I'd just like to suggest 2 options to slow down "burrowers".

1) Give ground Stone a really high strength that means you need the auger to break it (thus reserving it for late game), as I don't see many people in walking dead walking around with pick axe's. May need to rebalance loot (more "scrap",

or

2) Make soil / stone require support else it collapses.

I like the idea of having different "random" buffs on zombie attacks. Thus allowing you to have "bad bites" vs a little "nip".

Is it possible to change the rate that the infection progresses? or change the stage the the infection starts at?

Thanks again, Keep up the great work.

Thanks for this post!

I use the seed "walkingdead" (without the quotes) for my test game! There is a really cool factory and junkyard area I have taken up in my actual game, I checked first and it had a large city with lots of interesting POIs, with no major land clipping or water issues.

A LOT of little things can make seeds turn up different though, so it's always best to double check!

POIs should never be to rare with this mod :3

I am glad you like this mod! Posting your play experiences, what you hated, what you liked, it helps me a lot! I have a design in mind for this mod, but want as many people as possible to enjoy it. Some things I WANT people to complain about (like infection) other things are more annoying then I would like (minimum wellness being 1HKO)

Awesome,

Sounds like a great seed, I might just need to restart.

Thanks for the update.

The buffs are a great idea. I love the idea you are ALWAYS infected. Im not convinced stage one should take three days or be quite so intense. Maybe 12 or 24 hours with minimal consequences, but stage 2 may as well be dead (-10 stamina per sec, -1 or 2 health per sec, for example). Then start with 1 pill to give you just 24 hours to sort you s@#t out.

1HKO??? 1 Hit Knock Out?

I figure if you die that much you should reset anyway (and maybe start trying to avoid a few more fights).

Archived