(A12) The Walking Dead Mod

Chaosocks

For the record a huge update for this mod is coming including:

- Pistol is now silenced. It is nerfed some more to compensate. This seemed like a good compromise.

- Zombies give less EXP

- Knife and Sledge Hammer tweaked to be more viable

- Cities now contain LOTS of zombies

- Integration of Sa-Matra's Random Gen changes including tons of the prefabs from Magoli's prefab pack!!

- A few other small tweaks, like no more crawler parties around barns

This build is built, but I need to do a wee bit more testing. As with Sa-Matra's mod own it's own, you need to check your seed before playing to make sure the central city isn't under water. Then simply delete the save game and make a new one with the same seed and you are fine!

Yes, sadly this will require a new save file, but will be the last update of this mod until 12.5 drops, and even then that will just be a quick-patch xD

I just wanted to say Thank you for an absolutely awesome mod and "patching" the game with much needed dynamics.

I had purchased this game as A12 came out and had quickly tired of the game. I feel most of the changes you have made are perfect and make sense, especially:

- No feral hordes, but lots of normal hordes.

- Always infect.

- No running/ dog, flying Zombies.

- The need for nails/ tape in building items. Else, it just felt like too much of a race to build a big base.

I can see the cobblestone frames been a bit of a cheat so would like to see the ability to build "unsupported" walls with these stopped.

Great to hear the City is about to be "repopulated", with both more Z's and more buildings.

I don't work with cobblestone, I will need to check on that, thanks!

I am love hearing posts like yours overall, I adore this game, but feel that these few issues really hold it back. ^_^ I also have been having a bid itch for a walking dead style survival RPG. This mod solved both in one!!

I always use the cobblestone frames. As a Macbook user (using the trackpad) I always end up accidentally upgrading my temp wooden frames (like when clearing a building). However, with the cobblestone frames I never carry the stone so I don't accidentally upgrade.

Agreed, your mod makes a good game in its own right, a GREAT Walking dead game. It would be awesome to see the developers recognise this "need" and add a "play style" option when selecting the map etc (i.e Zombie only (save the copyright issues) or 7 Day Apocalypse) then redirect to different config folder Xml's thus allowing all mod developers to develop there mods at there own rate and not have to rework their mods every time the Pimps release a fix.

For the record a huge update for this mod is coming including:

- Pistol is now silenced. It is nerfed some more to compensate. This seemed like a good compromise.

- Zombies give less EXP

- Knife and Sledge Hammer tweaked to be more viable

- Cities now contain LOTS of zombies

- Integration of Sa-Matra's Random Gen changes including tons of the prefabs from Magoli's prefab pack!!

- A few other small tweaks, like no more crawler parties around barns

Silenced pistols aren't my favorite, but other users has expressed a want, so I don't mind trying it out. It just doesn't make sense to me as silencers are incredibly rare in the real world, and you are certainly not crafting one of your own. I assume TFP will eventually make an attachment themselves later on, and I can wait for that.

Less EXP zombies are a personal taste and hope I didn't influence this. With the leveled looting, others are already up in arms about having to wait so long to find and craft amazing gear. I just like the longevity of slow leveling for my own play. PLUS, you guys pointed out where I can change it myself, and that's just awesome!

I'm interested in your weapon modifications. Both these weapons are really high risk with little gain, so I look forward to new uses. I would love TFP to think about hunting knives making skinning more rewarding such as cutting the time in half or less, or making more animal hide. Sledge hammers should do great damage to rocks, cement, and any soft construction material such as wood doors, drywall etc. Instead, it's just a subpar weapon to the much faster spiked club, and harder to make. I do like your one-hit KO knife idea, and maybe to make it viable you could increase the range, but create a delay after using it (retrieval of weapon out of scalp delay :D ) or make it use a huge amount of stamina so you're only using it once or twice before you need to run/walk away for a bit. You could simply do the same with sledge. Up the damage to head shots but use lots of stamina or somehow make a delay after hit. If it's not a great tool, I don't mind the stamina drain.

On that note, I've been meaning to decrease the stamina drain on pickaxe. 4 hits before i'm too tired to make use of it effectively bothers me since all the tools have been made more restrictive on their uses (which I'm all for). A faulty pickaxe is far too much more frustration then it's worth and I'm considering lowing the stamina usage by a significant margin. I'd like to get at least 50% more use out of it before drained.

I upped the spawn rate of zombies and it's been great, with this addition of "LOTS" of zombies, I should be able to play default again, and that's cool. We just got hit with back to back hordes of 50+ (mostly burning zombies) and 40+ respectively on day 6 and 7 out of the city, and city raiding has become far more difficult with spawning up to 150% in settings. Living there doesn't seem realistic at all now, which is exactly how we wanted it.

I'm really glad to see the use of the pre-fabs. This will help with my own management when updating for sure. Of the list from Magoli, I did remove Skyscrapers, ZombieZoo, Rocket, Pyramid, and 1-2 others I can't recall all due to their overly rewarding construction or loot abundance. This change made quite an impact on survivability within a city.

Ammo has become a struggle now for sure, and that's perfectly fine. Feathers are like gold to us now as we find very few without nests having dozens. Bullets I felt were getting excessive, but now that we've been hit by some big bad hordes a couple days in a row, we're noticing shortages and not enough time in a day to clean up, repair, cook, and scavenge. Things are continually tense, and I love it. A few tool stores finally gave us a small surplus of nails so I've been able to build out some blocks over just patching up with boards and such, glue and duct tape have been in short supply, but JUST enough to keep us out of breaking everything we need. A beaker hasn't been found yet to get us the glue we need, but then it won't be as bad. Cooking times are still torture!! I think it's great, but maybe SOME modifications can be made to some recipes. Make some fairly quick but not as rewarding for instance. On a side note, day 5 was the first time we actually had to raid a city for the sole purpose of finding good burnable supplies. I believe we came back with roughly 50 full couches. In TWD this would have been the equivalent of coming back to camp with 3 eighteen-wheelers and a u-Haul truck with nothing but couches. It was a necessity we had never needed before, and it was super fun!

You think 12.5 will happen before 13? I suppose they might slip things to us in parts, or maybe they have already stated it... I was under the impression they would just do a big push for 13, though it would make sense to have testing done on some minor stuff first. Either way, I'm always ok with starting fresh...heck, I do it on a very regular basis every time I die anyways :D HARDCORE or GTFO!!

I just wanted to say Thank you for an absolutely awesome mod and "patching" the game with much needed dynamics.

I'm really happy to see others enjoying this style of play as well and it's fun to hear from players that just joined the party so recently. It's a great game, and as you said, this just solidifies it into the game I was envisioning waaaay back in the beginning. Every update to the Alpha and to some of these amazing mods gets me excited now, and I'm so happy everything is packaged in such a way to allow us to play the game each of us wants to.

Keep us all posted on how the game is for you. I'm sure Chaosocks would be thrilled to hear about your experiences, and I for one would love to hear how others are coping better than I am in the unforgiving environment me and my friend keep putting ourselves into.

Glad you are having fun with 7D2D as a whole and it's great to see others enjoying this mod.

I've been sort of annoyed myself at the stamina drain on some tools... I'll have to look into this.

BTW, the tweaks done to those weapons were

Knife - extended range and decreased delay and degradation. The delay on it made it super awkward for me, since you could be clicking to attack with the knife readiided in your hand and not attack.

Sledgehammer - extended it's range. All I really needed to do to it, now it's the longest ranged melee weapon in the game and basically always gets a kill. But the stamina hit is still totally in tact, and it's rare.

I decreases zombie EXP reward to make killing zombies less rewarding, not really to slow down the gameplay. I didn't do it specifically for you, but you really enjoy the mod a lot, so you know what you are talking about.

I think I may tweak some of the recipes, like the charred ones, to finish sooner. I also may tweak foods to give more food.

I tweaked cobblestone frames to use ductTape instead of Grass (shoulda done this before)

As for the silencer thing, make-shift silencers are not to complicated to make... I would MUCH rather just have a silencer... But I really want to avoid adding in new items... I am still very iffy on this myself. >_>

Lastly, I'e done at least 5~6 test seeds and never found anything crazier then the existing vanilla apartment building.Given how nightmarish it is to descend one of these once breached with a horde of zombies, I think they aren't to unbalanced. ^w^

Alright, I broke down and just added in a new separate Silenced Pistol. It has it's own crafting book, which is in the rare books (since it lets you break apart and rebuild any pistol into a silenced one) The pistol also exists in the loot as well, though it's pretty rare!

There is no 'silencer' item, and you cant simply make a normal pistol into a silent one by equipping one, BUT you can break down any pistol and remake it into a silenced pistol once you learnt he recipe! This seems like the simplest/best solution for everyone!

I also added nitrate powder tot rash loot like gun powder cause... Why the hell isn't it there to begin with?

I rebalanced all the food as well, it should be much more enjoyable now! A lot of things were changed from exactly 3 minutes to ten seconds under 3 minutes so that one log will be fine to cook them without you having to click cook INSANELY fast. xD

I used a simple black shade to tell the pistol/book apart! The silent one also has SLIGHTLY worse range, shot delay, and durability, to balance out the fact that you can rip apart a hoard silently and easily with it... lol

I've been sort of annoyed myself at the stamina drain on some tools... I'll have to look into this.

BTW, the tweaks done to those weapons were

Knife - extended range and decreased delay and degradation. The delay on it made it super awkward for me, since you could be clicking to attack with the knife readiided in your hand and not attack.

Sledgehammer - extended it's range. All I really needed to do to it, now it's the longest ranged melee weapon in the game and basically always gets a kill. But the stamina hit is still totally in tact, and it's rare.

I decreases zombie EXP reward to make killing zombies less rewarding, not really to slow down the gameplay. I didn't do it specifically for you, but you really enjoy the mod a lot, so you know what you are talking about.

I think I may tweak some of the recipes, like the charred ones, to finish sooner. I also may tweak foods to give more food.

I tweaked cobblestone frames to use ductTape instead of Grass (shoulda done this before)

As for the silencer thing, make-shift silencers are not to complicated to make... I would MUCH rather just have a silencer... But I really want to avoid adding in new items... I am still very iffy on this myself. >_>

Lastly, I'e done at least 5~6 test seeds and never found anything crazier then the existing vanilla apartment building.Given how nightmarish it is to descend one of these once breached with a horde of zombies, I think they aren't to unbalanced. ^w^

I'm really looking forward to trying all this out!!

The knife is a tough one for sure. I definitely don't want to make it a super weapon. Able to OHKO, fast, hardly any stamina...make me a one man army against the undead with a shard of sharpened metal. I do like the thought of hitting once to the head taking a Z down, BUT would love to simulate the struggle of then retrieving the knife and being ready for another. Since there's no way to simulate an actual struggle with a zombie while jockeying for position to get a good hit or other wise immobilizing their swings to make it an easy kill, the best way I thought of was effecting another resource of ours, namely stamina. It's a shame stamina isn't broken into separate bits so that you use different amounts on a hit or miss, or hitting a Z over hitting grass for instance...maybe someday.

I'll admit, I've never used the sledgehammer. I've only read about and judged it based on stats and other players experience. I'll check it out and see how I like it, particularly under the mod.

I'm super happy to hear about the EXP loss. To me it adds to the thought process that getting away or not engaging is just as beneficial. Since I only play till I die once, any fight can potentially be the one that ends the game for me, so survival over XP is always on my mind. This mod really aids that gameplay since the difficultly of the game isn't dictated by the increasing size of hordes daily forcing you to lvl quickly and keep up with appropriately leveled loot.

The food sounds great; exactly what I had in mind. Charred should be pretty quick and not really rewarding, stew should take a long time and have big benefits. Water should be fairly quick...or more realistically it should make larger batches. I've always wondered about that BTW. Could I make the recipe to make water take like 4-5 murky water and produce 3-4 fresh water, taking like 20-30min in-game time (not real world time)?

Silencers I'll pretty much stay out of, I can easily remove them if I'm not too happy with em. I really like the idea of finding them over crafting them as a VERY rare item for ONE gun. The odds of finding a silencer in the rel world that fits the weapon you're using would be ridiculous. Making one is even more of a silly concept ruined by movies and tv. Coring an item with the matching spiral of the barrel, and affixing it perfectly aligned so not to either diminish accuracy or damage the gun or silencer is already near impossible without very specific machining and experience. This on top of the fact that silencers don't do nearly what most think they do as far as flash and sound reduction. In zombie game terms, if you fire one at a group of zombies in a city with no electricity, cars, and the "hum" of life everywhere, they will still notice the sound for a long ways. And in this game, it only takes one to hear you and scream to the others where dinner is.

Nitrate powder on the surface makes me happy. We still haven't built a mine shaft due to the realism of actually accomplishing that...and the boredom of playing Minecraft outside of Minecraft :D This will help us keep things above ground without sacrificing some items we really want to make.

Most of the added buildings from the pre-fab mod are remarkable. A lot of talent went into them. Some just didn't work for us due to the advantage it game us, which you'll definitely notice if you find one of those I listed specifically. With those removed, it's been hell out there!

Thanks for the update. You're about to make the week I took off for my b-day starting tomorrow pretty exiting it seems.

OMG,

I didn't think the gameplay would be that much different without my cobblestone frames, was I mistaken.

I have now managed to find a "safe" house in the desert (and cleared it without getting infected), after a night in a water tower and nights in a tin shed I feel safe (for now). The random mobs are a real nightmare to deal with. I seem to be finding more POI (yet to find no toilet water) now under the system (outside of the hub), not sure if this is due to the mod packs or just luck, but thank you.

Am looking forward to getting the last of the forge together so I can get a pick etc, getting those first few large stones is proving to be painful.

- Given the rarity of feathers did you consider adding them as a possible loot item on Zombies (even if its semi-rare)? loosing every arrow shot is a little painful, given you would normally be able to retrieve some of them irl.

- I like the fact you have patched the cobblestone frames, thank you to stop people building a base from day 1. Might I suggest that since they are effectively gabion cages you make them require a metal strip instead of duct tape in the next release?

- Any chance you can put a "version number" next to the download link so people can tell if they need to update there version? (i.e V12.4.1, V12.4.2, etc)

Once again, Thank you for all your hard work and making the only way to truly play 7d2d.

Feathers a lootable from nests, garbage and zombies, and those are the real bottleneck. With how things currently are I think I actually get more feathers off garbage and zombies than from nests. Human corpses can also give full arrows as well, so the items are there if you're vigilant in your search , AND RATION CAREFULLY. Backpacks/Bags are becoming rather disappointing containers though. It's very rare to find a single item in one now, so I think the table needs to be adjusted. I'm glad to see less weapon parts laying around, but I think some substitution can take place to make them a minor treat to find and open still. It will be nice when the item list grows over time so things can be more themed. Dufflebags can hold sporting equipment like football pads and helmet, baseball bat, gym clothes, energy bars, etc. Backpacks could be more camping themed perhaps... and so on.

Glad to hear the struggle is real on your game as well Agent_47x, and I'm not the only one scrambling for the essentials.

I was busy over the weekend guys, sorry for vanishing. I just need to do some final tweaks and a test run, and I should be able to launch the 'full' version of this mod with all these new changes included! And more!

Backpacks are meant to be a good source of guns... I was getting an error where EVERY single one had a gun. I think I messed them up fixing that. I;ll tweak them.

Bird nests will see a small boost in feathers, I kinda agree it's weird to find more feathers in trash then nests.

I always have a note directly under my download telling you what download number it is, as well as if you need to redownload, and the download itself has a number on it... what else do I need to do put the number in the download link to? ^-^||| I wanted it to just say download to prevent confusion...

Bailin

will respond in PM to avoid cluttering Chaosocks thread too much.

Chaosocks

Don't apologies we all have other things, Im just happy you have provided us with what you have.

Maybe I was just been a little dense.

I did see the "Rebuilt A12.4!! " However, was unsure if you had released your version with the new Prefabs etc.

I will limit my posting in here but know I am following (and using your Mod)

No need to limit your posts! I spam in this thread all the time TBH.

As long as it's relevant to the topic!

And sorry, no the new version with the cool new stuf is not out yet! I just finished all my tweaks though, and baring any unseen errors, is one play test away form being released!

Chaosocks

Don't apologies we all have other things, Im just happy you have provided us with what you have.

Darn right! While I love hearing about new ideas, your own testing and experiences and OF COURSE updates and new versions, by no means do I expect them daily or even weekly. Take your time, have fun, and keep us in touch whenever you have the time. Don't ever apologize though, you've already provided us with a great bit of entertainment that has me craving more. I'm looking forward to Alpha 13 and your ideas on how to manipulate the new toys to keep fleshing out this project. Balance is an on-going inevitability, as everyone plays and wishes to experience things in a different way, but I'm glad many here have a remotely similar vision. That makes things enjoyable when sharing stories. Next time I play I'll jot down all my game settings and put them here to better describe the things I find enjoyable by either making them more or less difficult for my particular balance. Basically, the mod itself can only be balanced so far to meet any individuals needs, so it's great that the game itself has plenty of options (and very easy to edit xml files) to adjust everything to find your perfect environment.

3 posts in one since we all seem to be on the same path and we are all learning from each other, and as Bailin has mentioned this is all opinions that help Chaos.

==========

My private message to Bailin

I have not recovered any feathers from Zombies ever, but yes the Garbage does prove useful for feathers. I am diligent in searching and not very wasteful, I have close to 50 feathers atm with 30 odd arrows on me at all times. But I don't see that lasting long if I stay in one area, but I guess in hind site that just encourages us to keep on the move , or use the guns instead.

Agree, its good not finding bags full of weapon parts. I don't know many people that keep weapon parts, maybe just gun shops, but plenty of people keep a spare riffle. This could be balanced further with ammo been rarer if needed. Personally I find it a joke to have to find a book to "learn" how to make a bullet especially when you have plenty of ammo that you can pull apart and examine. But then again reloading without proper scales, press, dies or primers is amusing too.

I think at this point I'd better stop whining and read about making a mods.

==========

==========

Bailin reply to me

It's not terribly frequent, but I get a handful of feathers off zombies, enough to be helpful. However, I would like to see more feathers found in game, then to make it more realistic, decrease again how many arrows you can make off the recipe. I've seen it bounce around a little, default being 5 arrows per 1 ea of the components, it was down to 3 arrows, now I think it's 4. I think 2-3 would be just fine. I really like the struggle to find ammo in all forms. I like the idea of having to pick your battles and be forced to lure zombies away on occasion and lose them down the road so they don't damage your structure. Just like The Walking Dead, I never want to feel I should engage every threat, and instead find better ways of dealing with the situation. I genuinely look forward to more traps in the game in later versions.

For now I am able to balance the use of melee weapons, situational use of ranged, and stealth/leading hordes away to keep zombies from being overly threatening. At this point it's simply not having enough time in a day to get done the things I'd like. Between cleaning, repairing, adding more defenses, cooking, forging and scavenging for supplies, I can never find enough daylight hours to keep on top of things. Playing with a partner helps a lot, but when they incorporate hoards per player, it's going to get pretty interesting.

Guns are a difficult one to get just right. I certainly don't want to be flooded with them, and without knowing how the disease started and spread, we don't know if many civilians would have grabbed their guns when leaving their homes, or quarantined themselves with them. I suppose both, which is why we can find them just about anywhere if lucky. I think gun parts are badly implemented as a whole in the game, but really like the idea of deconstructing them and upgrading. The best idea I can think up on the spot would be to eliminate them in drops other then weapon crates, but also make full guns with a wide variety in the grade of their components, forcing a larger focus on finding multiple and upgrading them once you get the knowledge (books).

I as a random person know the general concept of bullet construction, but would absolutely need a book for specific measurements of the charge. However, all the knowledge in the world isn't going to help without the tools and machinery to make modern bullets for modern weapons. I've never liked the making of ammo in game and honestly haven't made any since many, many Alpha's ago. Shotgun ammo I can accept to an extent, and I like the idea of a scrap blunderbus type line of weaponry. Over that, I'm more comfortable with just finding the ammo while scavenging.

Thanks for the reply and chat. It sounds like Chaos is fine for chatter about his mods remaining in the thread, so I'd like to copy all of this there, as information based on player experiences both gives him valuable information and lets him know we appreciate his work and vision. Let me know if that's ok, or feel free to instead of a reply.

==========

Regarding the ability to make ammo in the real world, yes I totally agree, some level of machinery is a must (that why I mentioned the need for a specific workbench). Following on from this, I started playing with the mod customisation, Unity, etc and have even more respect now for the skill. While not hard, it is definitely an acquired taste. In reading for similar mods to reverse engineer, I see a number of the other members dislike the current crafting menu and have called for "workbenches", especially some of the more advanced recipes. So will now happily wait for the Pimps to resolve this.

I like the idea of leading the zombies "down the road" and must try this myself, Thank You :).

Agreed playing with a partner would make a large difference, Im still playing SP for now due to work commitments and not wanting to "disappoint" any expectant factions with lack/ odd time activity.

Agreed the gun parts system is a little comical, removing Gun parts from all but crates would be a good way remove the excess in the game, while maintaining realism.

>.> *pokes thread* Hello?

Ha, sorry I wasn't able to respond with the enthusiasm I wanted last night, I didn't check the thread until I got to bed at 7am. Now though... NOW I can tell you how excited I am! I'll be adding this in a short few moments and making a few adjustments. It's going to be torture waiting for my buddy to get on this evening to check it out. I'l of course keep you posted how the night goes :)

Thanks for this and for your continued effort.

I want to say thank you for this mod. I am playing the latest edition and it is great. I have played a couple of hours and loving every minute. Head shots are a must. I am still learning what all is different between the standard game and this, but so far I am loving it. I love that I don't just say OK here is where we are staying and setup a base. I am having to move all the time. I had to make some anti-biotics and sitting by my warm cozy fire at night enjoying the night then I hear the sound of zombies. They came up and ran me out of my house I was setup in. Had to clear them out. Keep up the great work. Like that I have to have duct tape and nails. Honestly I have not made one frame yet due to constantly moving. Thanks again for this great mod. Now to convenience the guys on my server this is a must.

Thank you guys! Glad you are liking it so far!

Yeah, it's designed so that having a serous, long term base is something that is really hard to do. It's not IMPOSSIBLE to stay in one spot, but it can be more dangerous then just staying on the move.

If only I could change the size of your backpack...

Anyways, I am super excited to hear more experiences with this mod! ^_^ I was only able to put like, 5 hours into my test character, anything that goes past the first week is of extra interest to me, as well as any attempts to survive in the city (which should be much harder now)

Archived