If you upgrade a wood pillar to stone, will it bear more weight than if it was just wood?

ElCabong

One of my bases was hard to find. I had taken over a burnt out house and it was in the middle of other houses that didn't have a direct road. I decided to plant a tree on the top to make it stand out. 

I planted two of those big snow-capped trees that you find in the polar biom. They got bigger and bigger until it was very easy to find my base. I congratulate myself on mission accomplished.

One of them fell through the roof. When it achieved full growth, I think. I placed it on an unsupported ledge right next to a pillar. The other one on top of a supported pillar did not fall through. Both pillars were upgraded to stone and now I'm wondering if I'd have left them at wood would they both had fallen?

Intuitively you'd think a stone pillar would bear more weight than wood and cement more than stone but perhaps all they do is give you more resistance to the zombies and it doesn't matter.

They do have different strengths. I think it's 120 capacity and 10 mass for stone, 40 capacity and 5 mass for wood atm - but I could easily be mistaken. The blocks in your inventory show the weight stats on the stats page.

For all connections the weaker block is the defining one.. If you have a stone pillar and attach a wood block to the side, it behaves exactly like the pillar was also wood - it's sort of logical as the face between the wood and stone will have to carry the wood block as well.

So, preferably use just one type of material for your building. If you want to add carrying capacity from a stone pillar, you'll need a way to attach several wood faces to the same stone:

(A = air, P = pillar(stone), S = stone, W = wood. Top-down view of a support that actually carries more)

AWW

PSW

AWW

Around the "freehanging" stone, there are 3 wooden face attached, which in total amount to 120 capacity - that is now as much as the stone pillar can carry. You quite free to build from there. To extend the idea, you can of course attach stone for the air blocks and surround them with wood similarly, leading into something like this as the top of a pillar:

WSW

SPS

WSW

Works similarly for iron-stone interfacing.

EDIT: How many typos can one fit in a short post... geez

Edited by theFlu (see edit history)

2 hours ago, meganoth said:

Tread carefully there. At least the magic 8 Block isn't a thing anymore, and I think the ninth wood block will collapse the whole chain and ... the page is all around a mess of old and current info, still mentioning a wooden stage for concrete laying.

The images of the principles for SI pillars and supported blocks seem mostly fine, for pretty much everything else, check in game and don't be surprised about differences.

SI does not function intuitively.

1) Vertical capacity is infinite regardless of block type.

2) The block support weights and limits come into play when cantilevered.
3) Arches are useless and can make SI worse

IIRC crops gain weight when fully grown so beware.

Dad your trees had been fully supported underneath they would not have collapsed.