Twitch Integration - Various

zztong

I'm warming up to Twitch Integration. Some channels I watch folks hang out in safe areas sorting through their inventory for so long it becomes a bit of a sleep inducing event, which had me thinking of ideas:

• Maybe we could earn CPs at a faster rate when folks are in safe areas.
  • Some weather options might be nice, such as Fog, Rain, etc.
    • If not a buyable thing, maybe a vote?
  • Sometimes it would be nice to just rain confetti down on the players.
  • Maybe we could honk the horn if they're driving a vehicle.

8 hours ago, Gamida said:

There is a command that makes them hurt if they are in a safe zone. Not sure at what stage it activates though.

#no_safe, I think. Its kind of expensive, but is effective in driving them out of a base. It comes up in voting sometimes too.

The economics and motivations really get in here and mess with things. If you're on a channel with lots of viewers all earning points then things can be very active, even overly punishing for the player. I often visit channels with few viewers, where I might be 1 of 2 people watching. Points can come in very slowly, and if you're mixing in supplies and buffs along with debuffs and spawning the occasional complication but not trying to make it a player kill fest, then you can be perpetually out of points.

Well, really the problem is tapping into a stream that isn't being very entertaining. If there's no commentary and you're watching somebody sort their base's inventory for 20 minutes, then... well I guess I know why I fell asleep.

I never use my points to spawn anything hurtful on a streamer. I think there are more than enough trying to do that already most times.

I try to even it out a little. I may do a scare once in a while as that won't physically hurt them lol.

3 hours ago, Gamida said:

I never use my points to spawn anything hurtful on a streamer. I think there are more than enough trying to do that already most times.

I try to even it out a little. I may do a scare once in a while as that won't physically hurt them lol.

That's cool. I'm probably a 60/40 (harmful/supportive) person, but it really depends on what's going on. I think unexpected challenges are fun.  Piling on a massive barrage of spawns isn't really all that interesting unless the Player is into it, otherwise you just get to watch a player's morale and spirit get crushed. I think spawning a crawler is just funny.

The topic of Twitch Integration has been on mind lately and I actually came here to make a post about it. But zz since you started up a thread, lemme just share my thoughts as a response to your post instead of starting a new thread.

So, back when I first started streaming 7 days, I was religiously using Twitch Integration and having an absolute blast. I think this is one of the best twitch integrations I've ever seen for a videogame. 

However, I stopped using it. 

Completely.

Why you might ask? Because I noticed that the nature of my stream was changing dramatically. What used to be a cozy chill place where folks could chit chat with me about all sorts of topics (and sometimes we go in deep!) turned into a stream that wholly revolved around twitch integration. Instead of us having time and space for our nice chit-chats, chat was full of people checking how many points they had, voting for the next mob etc and the game play was all about jumping from one thing to the next related to twitch integration instead of taking a breather to do some crafting or exploring. Ultimately, twitch integration took center stage in my streams and completely transformed what my streams are like. And yes, I adjusted the settings as far as I could to get long timers, but it wasn't enough. 

I miss having twitch integration though. So let me tell you how it would work in my perfect world: Allow the streamer to set times for when it turns on and off. For instance have the first 15 minutes of an hour be twitch integration, and the rest 45 min just have it turned off. Or maybe an hour on / hour off. Now of course I realize I could "just disable it" and turn it back on again. But what streamer has time for that? Would make things super stressful and annoying!

I'd be curious to hear if any other streamers have noticed the same problem I have and would like to see on/off timers in the settings?

3 hours ago, KatsPurr said:

The topic of Twitch Integration has been on mind lately and I actually came here to make a post about it. But zz since you started up a thread, lemme just share my thoughts as a response to your post instead of starting a new thread.

So, back when I first started streaming 7 days, I was religiously using Twitch Integration and having an absolute blast. I think this is one of the best twitch integrations I've ever seen for a videogame. 

However, I stopped using it. 

Completely.

Why you might ask? Because I noticed that the nature of my stream was changing dramatically. What used to be a cozy chill place where folks could chit chat with me about all sorts of topics (and sometimes we go in deep!) turned into a stream that wholly revolved around twitch integration. Instead of us having time and space for our nice chit-chats, chat was full of people checking how many points they had, voting for the next mob etc and the game play was all about jumping from one thing to the next related to twitch integration instead of taking a breather to do some crafting or exploring. Ultimately, twitch integration took center stage in my streams and completely transformed what my streams are like. And yes, I adjusted the settings as far as I could to get long timers, but it wasn't enough. 

I miss having twitch integration though. So let me tell you how it would work in my perfect world: Allow the streamer to set times for when it turns on and off. For instance have the first 15 minutes of an hour be twitch integration, and the rest 45 min just have it turned off. Or maybe an hour on / hour off. Now of course I realize I could "just disable it" and turn it back on again. But what streamer has time for that? Would make things super stressful and annoying!

I'd be curious to hear if any other streamers have noticed the same problem I have and would like to see on/off timers in the settings?

I'm absolutely clueless about twitch and streaming, but wouldn't it make sense to just reserve specific days for twitch and non-twitch?

4 hours ago, KatsPurr said:

But zz since you started up a thread, lemme just share my thoughts as a response to your post instead of starting a new thread.

I can see how Twitch Integration changes the stream, specially when the viewers are out to kill you.

Not being a streamer, I've never messed with the settings, but I've seen streams where the menu was active but there was no voting.

We could probably brainstorm some other ways for viewers to get involved:

• Maybe let the viewers vote to pick the mission at the Trader.
  • Maybe let the viewers put "bounties" on objectives for the player:
    • Find the MacGuffin (some plot object) in a POI where the player has started a quest.
    • Slay some amp'd-up zombie in a POI where the player has started a quest.
  • Make the drone say goofy things.

Come to think of it, #scare could add another sound being the player's drone saying "I've got a bad feeling about this" or any of the "detected zombie" sounds.

While I was working I had a random idea that a kind of "hide and seek" with viewers might be kind of cool. The game places some kind of figurine with a viewer name on it and then the streamer tries to find them, perhaps with a timer. So, just spit-balling here, when a POI quest starts, the game takes 10 viewers and randomly places a figurine somewhere within the POI. That is, it replaces an Air block that is not exposed to the sky and puts a figurine there. Maybe it isn't a figurine, but some kind of lesser loot container? Maybe it is a cowering survivor waiting to be rescued? Find all of them before the timer expires and then some reward? Maybe the Trader pays a reward for rescued survivors? During the course of play, the streamer gets to see a viewer's name on the figuring/survivor and maybe that leads to conversation. (Great to see you, George.)

Darn idea keeps running in my head...

Maybe after the timer expires, a zombie spawns that knows where all the survivors are and it begins to hunt them down. If the hunting zombie finds the survivor it turns them into another hunting zombie. Once all of the survivors have been picked up, any hunting zombies hunt for the player.

Edited by zztong (see edit history)

13 hours ago, meganoth said:

I'm absolutely clueless about twitch and streaming, but wouldn't it make sense to just reserve specific days for twitch and non-twitch?

I know some streamers have "solved the issue" by doing exactly that, but I'm thinking about this from my regular viewer's perspective. People come to watch my stream expecting a certain kind of experience. If I started juggling between different themed streams that were radically different from one another, I think it would only drive people away as they'd get frustrated showing up on the "wrong day" and soon wouldn't bother at all.

Think of it this way: Say there was a comedy show you really loved to unwind to after a hard day. Each week the show would deliver exactly what you expected from it and all would be good. But then suddenly the show would alternate between one week being the light comedy that you came for, and for the second week be a dark drama with no comedic content whatsoever. Sure, you could make the effort to only tune on on the right weeks, but wouldn't the show lose some charm and allure for you along the way. 

The thing I'm asking for would allow for a little splash of action that pops up now and then, without compromising the nature and essence of my stream.