Speaking of air drops

Rotor

17 minutes ago, Orclover said:

opening it during a bloodmoon while you are being chased by all the zeds

Well, what's stopping me from decimating the horde completely and safely in my forstress, and going out after that, while it's technically still a horde night but the horde has been destroyed?

2 hours ago, Ray Garraty said:

Well, what's stopping me from decimating the horde completely and safely in my forstress, and going out after that, while it's technically still a horde night but the horde has been destroyed?

The way I see that being able to work as you described would only be viable during the first few Blood Moons, since I've experienced those horde nights where they can quit spawning before 04:00 of the following morning. Later in the game, that won't be the case. 

So which is it, Horde Night or Blood Moon? For me it's the same thing. It starts at 22:00 and lasts until 04:00 of the following morning. If you're going to attempt getting an air drop during those 6 hours, you'd best "be quick about your business". 🏍️ 😬

Edited by Melange (see edit history)

6 hours ago, Melange said:

So which is it, Horde Night or Blood Moon? For me it's the same thing. It starts at 22:00 and lasts until 04:00 of the following morning. If you're going to attempt getting an air drop during those 6 hours, you'd best "be quick about your business". 🏍️ 😬

Hell the best way to make any of this viable is to have a Flare Gun in the game that allows us to call in for an airdrop within 500m of our location or targeted to where the flare lands.  Go for broke and fire it at a Tier 5 POI in the middle of the wasteland during a 7th day bloodmoon horde invasion.  Midnight on ground level for maximum effect. 

14 hours ago, Melange said:

The way I see that being able to work as you described would only be viable during the first few Blood Moons, since I've experienced those horde nights where they can quit spawning before 04:00 of the following morning. Later in the game, that won't be the case. 

With a run and gun build, this also works in later hordes. You run towards the air drop, the horde behind you and you fight them off while running. It's easier than you think if you have the right perks and equipment.

23 hours ago, Orclover said:

Won't do any good.  The loot only becomes active at the moment you open a container.  At that moment the game checks your game stage/location of the player opening the container and then tallies the items accordingly.  If a different player opens the container first, then it checks HIS gamestage to spawn the items.  So if they ever set up bloodmoons as a lootstage multiplier.  You would need to open those containers during an active bloodmoon.  Hence the challenge of waltzing out to an airdrop and opening it during a bloodmoon while you are being chased by all the zeds.  Honestly that sounds like fun.

I believe Ray Garraty is interpreting "active blood moon" to include any time between the hours of 22:00 and 4:00 the following morning. Thus if he can kill the horde quickly enough, he can get the airdrop crate before the moon sets, when it still counts as an "active blood moon" in this hypothetical scenario.