Need help fixing XMLException: Root Element is Missing. during attempt to create a game

conmann01

Every time i try to start a new game, continue a game, or join a game i get the error XMLException: Root Element is Missing. I have tried all of the usual methods of fixing this including reinstalling the game, verifying files, erasing all saved data and nothing has seemed to work. Any ideas as to how to fix this? Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

Can you post a copy of your latest log file using pastebin? Copy your log, paste it at pastebin.com then post the link generated here. Sight unseen, I would have had you verify files twice but you’ve done that already so maybe there’s a clue in your log file.

According to your log, the last version you have played is 20.3 and there are a ton of missing prefabs that I know are present in 20.5. You need to ‘clean’ your files. Bring up the game launcher, Tools tab and you want to clean files by checking all boxes then press Clean. However if there is single player save that you really, really want to keep, back it up first. Once you clean the files, go verify the integrity of the game files and run it twice as sometimes the first run doesn’t get everything.

However if you are wanting to run 20.3, the proper way to roll back to 20.3 is to perform the clean function above, uninstall the game then before reinstalling the game select 20.3 from the betas then install.

Just now, Star69 said:

According to your log, the last version you have played is 20.3 and there are a ton of missing prefabs that I know are present in 20.5. You need to ‘clean’ your files. Bring up the game launcher, Tools tab and you want to clean files by checking all boxes then press Clean. However if there is single player save that you really, really want to keep, back it up first. Once you clean the files, go verify the integrity of the game files and run it twice as sometimes the first run doesn’t get everything.

However if you are wanting to run 20.3, the proper way to roll back to 20.3 is to perform the clean function above, uninstall the game then before reinstalling the game select 20.3 from the betas then install.

i see, thank you for your assistance i will attempt this immediately.

1 hour ago, conmann01 said:

I hope that is the correct file, it is the most recent outlog file i have in the data folders.

Your log is from April so I'd bet it is not the latest one.

In A20.4 the location of logs changed to %appdata%\7DaysToDie\Logs

Can you post a current log?

On 6/27/2022 at 1:32 AM, Beelzybub said:

If the Launcher/Tools/Clean game data... and verification didn't work, maybe this cleaning technique will help you.

I just finished attempting this and yet again the error showed up in the exact same fashion. Thanks for the ideas though.

3 hours ago, conmann01 said:

I just finished attempting this and yet again the error showed up in the exact same fashion. Thanks for the ideas though.

Another possible culprit may be some bloatware. Check your apps. Some from Asus, Acer, HP, Dell, MSI, Razor, etc. are known to interfere with the game.

Also, be sure that you have created an exclusion in your antivirus software for both the game and saves folder. Maybe the antivirus is blocking part of the game. It is not enough to turn off antivirus as some processes still function while the main process is turned off. I’m running out of ideas for you…this is an odd one.