RWG and Parts Question

zztong

I've had a user of my modlet report that Parts in my POIs don't change when they're refeshed by a Trader Quest.

This got me thinking, are the probabilities for appearance of Parts in a POI only resolved during RWG, or each time the POI is placed/refreshed?

Are you talking about weapon/armor/tool parts found in loot? I think that a POIs RWG seed is fixed now (busted cars will always be busted, kitchen cabinets will always be the same searchable/not-searchable, etc.), but the order of searching should still matter. So if you always search Cabinet A followed by Trash B followed by Sink C, you'll get identical results. But if you mix it up it ought to be different. I think. You could run my Loot Logger mod temporarily to see what's going on. It's on Nexus.

7 hours ago, Boidster said:

So if you always search Cabinet A followed by Trash B followed by Sink C, you'll get identical results. But if you mix it up it ought to be different.

Interesting. And I have noticed something akin to this when occasionally treat myself to end loot double dipping. 

21 hours ago, Boidster said:

Are you talking about weapon/armor/tool parts found in loot? I think that a POIs RWG seed is fixed now (busted cars will always be busted, kitchen cabinets will always be the same searchable/not-searchable, etc.), but the order of searching should still matter. So if you always search Cabinet A followed by Trash B followed by Sink C, you'll get identical results. But if you mix it up it ought to be different. I think. You could run my Loot Logger mod temporarily to see what's going on. It's on Nexus.

thats a thing? now youve got me really spiced up on how the loot tables work! thank you for this information 🙂

On 5/25/2022 at 2:25 PM, Boidster said:

You could run my Loot Logger mod temporarily to see what's going on. It's on Nexus.

Beginning to think Boidster has placed malware into his mod to steal people's financial information, always eager to promote it  😉

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/25/2022 at 2:25 PM, Boidster said:

Are you talking about weapon/armor/tool parts found in loot?

No, that's not what I meant.

When you make a POI, you have the option of embedding Parts, which are collections of blocks also made in the Prefab Editor. So, I might make a "Part" that is a boulder wtih a corpse beside it. Then, when making a POI, I can place that Boulder part in the POI and assign it a probability that it will appear, such as 40%.

When the RWG decides to place the POI into the world, it rolls the dice on the Boulder part. If it gets 40% or less, the boulder appears, otherwise it does not. In this way, we can make POIs that are somewhat different from instance to instance.

Here's the issue. We eventually discovered only RWG rolls the dice on the probability. We had assumed the dice we rolled every time the POI was refreshed, such as when a player starts a quest for that POI.

The issue reported to me was that the person was placing the POI using the World Editor. The World Editor doesn't appear to roll the dice at all and places none of the Parts.

Archived