Guppy's Teleport Portal Mod

Guppycur

On 7/5/2022 at 11:29 AM, Guppycur said:

Just tested on a dedicated server, same result.

Granted, you have to unlock BOTH sides, but that seems "right" to me anyway.

For others looking to make these work for multiple players.  My wife and I play co-op on the same server.  In order to make these work for both of us, both of us had to interact with both portals.  So when you place the first one.  Make sure one of you sets the name and the others at least interact with it in some way (i.e. use "e" in some fashion.  Then do the same thing on the other side.  There appears to be a need for each player to "know" where the portals are in order for them to be activated for each player.

Edited by Ralyj (see edit history)

7 hours ago, Guppycur said:

I definitely did not have that experience when testing.

I had one player build and use two portals and then the 2nd player had no problems using.  

Do you recall if the 2nd player interacted with the first portal placed or the second?  This was our scenario.  I placed the first portal and named it but my wife never touched it.  We both flew 6km away to a few lvl5 buildings to set the 2nd portal.  I set the 2nd portal and named it the same name.  It activated and I was able to teleport back and forth without issue.  My wife however, could not use it as it wasn't activated on her side.  She could open the edit window but even that didn't activate it.  When she flew back to our base and interacted with the first portal everything worked great.  

So I have been thinking about the recipe and was wondering if you would be open to me trying to make it a bit more challenging to acquire? This is such an awesome mod but also feels a bit too easy to obtain right now.  I can give it a go and show you what I come up with but if you aren't interested I won't spend the time.

Having a hard time telling what the requirements are to build the portals. I find guppyFuturePortal2 through guppyFuturePortal6 and I can see the required materials, but they all show as locked but the Unlock Options list is empty. The game shows the Powered by Score thing so I think I've installed yours and Score correctly. Other thing of note is that I have BetterVanilla installed also. Any ideas?

I think it requires the advanced engineering perk?  That's the only thing that comes to mind.  I'm not familiar with better vanilla so don't know what it changes.

The powered by score logo is just art so doesn't actually mean score was installed, but if you're not getting a @%$# ton of red errors then score is probably installed correctly.

Can you send me your game log?

• 3 weeks later...

Hy, after installing 20.6 I get a yellow message something with session and time out. I put out all Mods to look which Mod it is and at the end only the SCORE and Portal Mod is aktive, so I think it is it. I start with a new game on a server self problem Someone more has the problem?

• 2 weeks later...

Summer got crazy so only getting back into the swing of things.  

One issue I am running into is that when I leave the game and come back the portal connections are not working.  If I fly to each portal then the connection restores itself without really needing to do anything.  In the game the distance between the two portals I am testing is 4KM.  

Is there something I might need to do in order for the portals to stay connected?  

One aspect that I need to test further.  It is possible that if I leave the game when I am near my land claim block near one portal that the connection remains.  I say this because on a rare occasion the connection has actually worked after leaving the game and returning .

Any thoughts?

1 hour ago, Guppycur said:

It uses chunk magic code stuff I'm not even remotely familiar with; if we can produce a repeatable case where something definitely does not work right, I can get with Sphereii.

Do I have to create something else that forces chunk loading? Like another block?

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/2/2022 at 3:22 PM, Ralyj said:

I will do some testing and see what I can uncover.

So I did a simple test.  I am only working with two portals and they are 6 km apart.  If I enter the game at portal A the game will tell me it isn't connected.  When my wife joins the game at portal B then portal A immediately connects to portal B and I can teleport.  However, my wife cannot as for her portal B still doesn't see portal A.  

My best guess is that in my game the chunks where the portals are located are not autoloading when I start the game.  We are not really running a traditional server, more like a local co-op game.

The question I have is, "is there a way to force load chunks when a world is started."  

In minecraft there are mods that you place into a chunk to force it to load and stay loaded.  Not sure if that exists or not.