Alpha 20, zombies spawning in base

codem1966

There are older threads on this subject, nothing I found newer than 2018. So I'm asking the question, how to you stop zombies from spawning in your base during the blood moon horde.

Its utterly ridiculous to build a nice base with walls and a "keep" only to have zombies spawn within the walls and thus by pass all the traps.

I have land claim blocks down. its a private dedicated server were I allow up to 10 claim blocks. Thus I made sure the entire base was covered. I even created a path for the zombies to take through a small maze and surround everything else with 2 layers of iron spikes to entice the zombies to take the maze way which had a door at the end.

But all that is useless when the zombie just spawn inside the base.

Is this a common bug or new feature ? Has it been reported for Alpha 20 already? Is there a setting I need to adjust in the server xml file ?

I don't believe it was always this way. In Alpha 14 or 16 (can't remember which), my group and I were able to surround a small town with a wall, and the horde night zombies did not small within the town. (screamers would still spawn near forges from time to time within the town, but that was it). The hordes would also track to one of the 4 doors we had at each side of the town (N, S, W, E).

I haven't made a base like this is an awhile so I was pretty surprise seeing zombies literal materialize right before my eyes inside my base.

I'm not buying the excuse that's just the way it has to work. If myself and 2 others are playing and everyone has there own base... they all get attacked on blood moon... so it's not that zombies can't spawn farther from you... they just don't.

And if the reason is truly the location of the player.. then add location of player placed items like LCBs as well. It's just another entity ID to work with.

Also.. in alpha 16 I made a replica of the Alamo, and the zombies did not spawn inside, I didn't even have LCB.. just a bed. So this had to be something that has changed since then.

BTW, it was a cool horde day fighting at the Alamo.. we made it so the zombies could not run, but all we had were the old blunderbusses and machetes. Also we had some shotgun turrets setup where the Alamo cannon's were.  (any chance on bring the blunderbuss back.. it was a nice early stage weapon I thought)

Fun scenario battle.. point being though, the zombies did not spawn inside the Alamo base.

One more thing I wanted to add that one of the features of this game is the base building aspect. Some players like to just do missions and build a minimal base., others like to build nice elaborate bases. Heck.. with Alpha 20 with soooooo many blocks to take advantage of, you could make some really cool bases.

I for example like to try to make a self-sustaining base that can survive hordes... if a particular design doesn't work.. you tweak it. But if you're going to just be limited to a 20 by 20 base otherwise the horde will spawn within your walls now... that's just frankly a waste of potential.

I'm not saying this as a newbie.. I have over 2500 hours in the game because I like it.. like the mining aspect, base building.. and through is some missions here and there for break up the day.

But if all you can do is build these tiny itsy bitsy horde bases... then thats just a waste of the majority of the games potential. If the intent is just to turn this into a FPS... there are plenty of FPS zombies games out there..

On 4/17/2022 at 6:56 AM, Whiteshark68 said:

It has been that blood moon zombies will spawn anywhere they can as long as it is within 30 - 70 blocks from you so if your base is larger than 30 blocks square and you have your horde base on one side they will spawn inside on the opposite side to you

This is frustrating because right now the only place I can build a base is on a mountainside, at the bottom of the mountain. i have numerous caves within 30-70 blocks of my main base that zombies would spawn in if i wasnt using an inspector to spawn at the bottom of them.

From the limited testing I've done, and the far more extensive testing done by the linked video, block type matters.  So long as you ensure there's not a single dirt/topsoil/rock or asphalt tile inside your walls you'll block spawns even if your compound is over 30x30.  Note that there may be other spawn acceptable materials.  The vid is from A19 but this still seems to work in A20.  Oh water blocks spawns too.

14 hours ago, Uncle Al said:

From the limited testing I've done, and the far more extensive testing done by the linked video, block type matters.  So long as you ensure there's not a single dirt/topsoil/rock or asphalt tile inside your walls you'll block spawns even if your compound is over 30x30.  Note that there may be other spawn acceptable materials.  The vid is from A19 but this still seems to work in A20.  Oh water blocks spawns too.

Thanks for the info.. .this might explain why no zombies spawn my Alamo base...

22 hours ago, Uncle Al said:

So long as you ensure there's not a single dirt/topsoil/rock or asphalt tile inside your walls you'll block spawns even if your compound is over 30x30.

Are you sure because others told me that my base shouldn’t bigger than 30x30 blocks because the horde will spawn inside my base 

1 hour ago, Spadaa said:

Are you sure because others told me that my base shouldn’t bigger than 30x30 blocks because the horde will spawn inside my base 

It's a good rule of thumb until you're willing to replace/cover the 900 terrain blocks; plenty people do, but a whole lot more won't.. :)

16 minutes ago, Spadaa said:

How do even know??

For specific forms of knowing, I just do. Sure I may never have implemented such a monstrosity, given it would have 810000 floor blocks alone; but going through the process of extrapolation from evidence provided by vedui on video and my personal tests; I can pretty safely predict that you wouldn't face most types of zombies spawns in the game. What it would do in terms of game performance; I will not even try to predict, but I am willing to say I'm not optimistic about the concept.

Archived