High Ping

delapenamj

Hello everyone,

I am trying to play with my friend on his dedicated server. I get a constant 70-150 to almost thousands at some point. our other friend does not experience this issue

I have

- excluded the game from windows defender

-ran ping tests against his network with low ping results

-updated all my drivers, Bios, ETC

-went on my phones 5g hotspot with same ping

-completely turned off windows defender and firewall

-joined public server and had 9 ping

-reset setting through launcher

These are my specs

Processor 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1185G7 @ 3.00GHz
Video Card NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER

Operating System Windows 11
RAM 16 GB

I will try any suggestions as I am pulling my hair out trying to figure it out

Edited by delapenamj (see edit history)

• 5 months later...

Hi guys, I am experiencing this same issue. I try to host a game through Steam and have my friends connect to my game (they experience terrible ping), or I set up a dedicated server on my computer, play on it from the same computer, have my friends connect to the server, and they still experience terrible ping. I don't know if it's a hardware issue since when those same friends host a game instead of me, I experience terrible ping when connected to their game, and they have better hardware than I do. It's making for an unplayable experience by way of taking a few minutes for the inventory of an opened chest or box to actually appear. Anyone have suggestions? I've forwarded ports on my router in order to set up the server, I've opened the server port on the Windows Defender Firewall, I've added exclusions for the 7DtD .exe's in my antivirus. I'm just baffled and have no idea how to fix this. Happy to provide any further info

A couple of things......use an online port scanner to verify that your ports are indeed being open. Secondly, run the tracert command to your friends ip and have him/her run the command to your ip. This is to see if it is a problem on your end, their end or your isp.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the reply. The ports are definitely open because my friends can connect to my game, but opening boxes and containers is extremely delayed for them due to high ping. I can run these commands, but what am I looking for exactly? From my computer to my friend's, it was:

2 ms <1 ms <1 ms
2 13 ms 10 ms 14 ms
3 13 ms 22 ms 19 ms
4 22 ms 106 ms 18 ms
5 12 ms 11 ms 9 ms
6 25 ms 23 ms 24 ms
7 41 ms 31 ms 31 ms
8 36 ms 21 ms 30 ms
9 25 ms 28 ms 25 ms
10 561 ms 623 ms 233 ms

From my friend's computer to me is:

<1 ms <1 ms <1 ms

80 ms 138 ms 139 ms

201 ms 174 ms 199 ms
4 74 ms 29 ms 24 ms
5 * * *
6 * * *
7 48 ms 39 ms 34 ms
8 71 ms 44 ms 74 ms
9 312 ms 178 ms 184 ms
10 96 ms 94 ms 108 ms
11 133 ms 189 ms 239 ms

Edited by Twix20981 (see edit history)

If you haven't added folder exclusions for the game and save folders in your antivirus, your AV will check every

packet coming in and going out to the other computer. This increases the ping time and introduces lag.

Your first list shows a very high ping at the last stop, so it may be their compututer checking the packets.

There are also third party apps like Asus' bloatware that can cause the same phenomenon.

Yikes, that connection from your friend to you is kind of brutal while your connection to him is great except that last hop which is your friends pc. Many people are unaware that an internet connection is a series of ‘hops’ through various servers until it reaches its end point which is determined by your isp. As you can see, your connection to your friend and his connection to you are totally different. I would say that a dozen hops is the average and any one of those hops can be a source of lag. Unfortunately, if the lag is isolated to any hop except first and last, you can’t fix it. I asked for a tracert to see if you could fix the lag and it looks like you can because the lag is in your friends pc. I totally agree with Beelzybub, have your friend create an exclusion in his antivirus for the game folder. It is not enough to turn off the antivirus, exclusions are best and easy to do. If you still experience lag after that, have your friend look for any network optimizing software, including router software settings that purport to make a better connection to a particular pc. These settings are supposed to improve your connection however many of them actually mess up your connections.

• 1 month later...