Dedicated Server On Ubuntu 20.04 on VM on Dell 720 Host

fiddy

I'm setting up a server on some older lab equipment I've got. Running into an issue getting the server started. (./startserver). It hangs right after "Found path: /home/name/7days/7DaysToDieServer.x86_64. I figured it was just taking a bit to generate the world but 30minutes went by and it was still hanging there. The output log is full of ERROR: Shader * and WARNING: Shader* msgs. The server doesn't have a dedicated gpu, but does have an embedded one for general administration. My intent was to run this headless. Anyone have any success with running these servers on Dell rackmounted servers?

Additional info:

PowerEdge R730xd

Xeon E5-2680 v2 @ 2.8 (x2)

256GB DDR-3

Raid5 storage

Thanks for any help/info!

I always get those warnings and errors in the logs on a dedicated box with an nVidia 2060. I figured it was the server's way of waving its arms and crying "the sky is falling". It doesn't stop the map from generating, nor does it top the server from running.

Does the map generate? Does the server startup and run?

My first 7d2d server was on Ubuntu 20 LTS and a Dell 710 :)

I currently have an AMD server with an Epyc 7402, NVME drives and excessive RAM as well. It takes around 45 minutes to generate a 10k map on this machine, I can't remember how long a 16k took (it was too big to be playable by a small group of friends, so I wiped it).  If I were you, I'd consider giving it at least 2 hours before I consider it hung.

You can also use "top" or a similar program to see if it's still chewing up CPU cycles.

BTW, the shaders error is perfectly normal for a dedicated server. It's not indicative of a problem.

Edited by Pernicious (see edit history)