The Diagonal Glitch

Biscoitoso

Hello.

It is a old glitch... But it is possible affect or access blocks in diagonal. The problem is: explosions can damage these blocks. Look my paiting: all blue blocks get damaged by explosion, it is ok. All green blocks as well and it is ok too. The yellow block wont get affected, and it is ok. But the problem is: the red block get damaged too and it is fully corvered!!!

Because this glitch, your bloodmoon cage/base can eventually collapse because the blocks what are supporting the walls are getting damage and you cant repair then...

Exp 01.png

53 minutes ago, Biscoitoso said:

Hello.

It is a old glitch... But it is possible affect or access blocks in diagonal. The problem is: explosions can damage these blocks. Look my paiting: all blue blocks get damaged by explosion, it is ok. All green blocks as well and it is ok too. The yellow block wont get affected, and it is ok. But the problem is: the red block get damaged too and it is fully corvered!!!

Because this glitch, your bloodmoon cage/base can eventually collapse because the blocks what are supporting the walls are getting damage and you cant repair then...

Exp 01.png

Where are you standing in this picture? If inside the cage then why are you trying to detonate stuff there?

1 hour ago, Biscoitoso said:

You actually can. You can aim at the corner and repair/upgrade the block that is 'hidden'. Then again, for any self-built structure, use a strategic not-exactly-full block there, halves used to be fine, there's thicker versions of those now. And a thousand other shapes :)

6 minutes ago, meganoth said:

Where are you standing in this picture?

50 blocks away with a rocket launcher? Doesn't really change the problem, many a base with a flooring outside will have a hidden wall block.

Edited by theFlu (see edit history)

1 hour ago, theFlu said:

You actually can. You can aim at the corner and repair/upgrade the block that is 'hidden'. Then again, for any self-built structure, use a strategic not-exactly-full block there, halves used to be fine, there's thicker versions of those now. And a thousand other shapes :)

50 blocks away with a rocket launcher? Doesn't really change the problem, many a base with a flooring outside will have a hidden wall block.

So how do you do the repairing from 50 blocks away? 😉

Seriously, I assume you think of some secondary outer wall whose inside you might let zombies in and then clean with explosives? Then when cleared, repair again? 

If you use frag rocket ammo (which you really should if you want to harm zombies at all) it means 20 or perked and with a good weapon about 40 damage per rocket (and I don't know if that diminishes with distance?). At that time you would be using at least concrete blocks with 5000 HPs. Thats a lot of rockets. And if that block breaks the wall isn't even breached.

The only danger mentioned by Bisc... is that you might need the SI of that block. But who would be staking the stability of his structures on an outer wall block easily in reach of approaching zombies?

It might run counter to the expectation of players though.

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

13 minutes ago, meganoth said:

Seriously, I assume you think of some secondary outer wall whose inside you might let zombies in and then clean with explosives?

Any pillar base, some people tend not to trust the sand and thus they build flooring - add a couple cops? The base of the pillars will erode over time as you can't repair them. That's the complaint anyway.

I sometimes have a lip around my base just from filling in some cop booms, or to protect from them. Or to run electronics underground. There's plenty of designs and plenty of explosions in the game... at least the way I play it :)

And it's also a physics complaint "this block is just as protected as that block but it gets damaged." It looks entirely covered, but the damage leaks in from the corner - I don't really mind it, I usually have bigger holes in my walls as is, but I can see how it is a complaint .. :)

1 hour ago, theFlu said:

Any pillar base, some people tend not to trust the sand and thus they build flooring - add a couple cops? The base of the pillars will erode over time as you can't repair them. That's the complaint anyway.

I sometimes have a lip around my base just from filling in some cop booms, or to protect from them. Or to run electronics underground. There's plenty of designs and plenty of explosions in the game... at least the way I play it :)

And it's also a physics complaint "this block is just as protected as that block but it gets damaged." It looks entirely covered, but the damage leaks in from the corner - I don't really mind it, I usually have bigger holes in my walls as is, but I can see how it is a complaint .. :)

Arrgh, my fault. It seems I had completely turned off the part of my mind that can read a picture as sideways and not top down 🙄

Yeah it's an old glitchy bug.  It works in a lot of weird ways, like cop vomit will hit the corner of the blocks I hide my electric fence posts in and destroy them, even though it is fully enclosed.  It's a buggy game, REALLY buggy and that's not going to change.  As a matter of fact, there are more bugs as time goes on.  Most of us have learned to adapt and live with it.  It's a crap game, with crappy graphics, and crappy optimization yet I keep coming back to it because there's nothing else quite like it.  I can't believe a legit developer hasn't bought this game and fixed it yet.

28 minutes ago, Whorhay said:

Explosions seem to pass through any blocks that aren't a full block.

Not entirely exact; I thought it was this way too, but it might have changed. Just did a couple demo-tests (A20.1 b5).. a straight wall, a demolisher. A pole* standing between the wall and the demo: the pole seemed to protect the wall depending on the distance between the demo and the pole. Keeping a 3 wide section safe when the demo was close to the pole (and thus closer to the wall), while only protecting one column on the wall when the demo was further from the pole and wall.1

*Pole Side Centered

It might be a line of sight -based system now. Requires further checking ..