Single Player = A20: Map size? Loot? Leveling? Etc!

Cadamier

Hello!  Well where to start.  Totally Vanilla!  I started when it first came out and I'm level 110 at day 99.  I have a 10k Map and it bites the big one; world generation.  This is Thee worst one I've ever seen!  In the north is the RAD zone - once it starts to effect you - you have to back out further than when it started effecting you!  Doesn't make sense.  There's like 12 cities and 4 small townes.  Cities have many buildings - residential, industrial, etc.  And they're virtually perfect.  Where as the small towns barely have 10 to maybe 20 buildings with a shop or two but 'houses' mostly.  Except for the city I spawned in the entire western half of the map is virtually empty.  There are about 30, count them 30 - POI's on this side of the map, but +90% open space.  Are we getting Farm Happy?  I mean there's 30 farms in this city!  30 of them!  There are tonnes of mountains, and the terrain is soo rough they're impassable by land vehicle; unless you want to bike & run.  Near the central area of the map is wasteland - and it's got a huge city!  Prime Loot Time!  I died like 6 times getting some serious loot at level 10 with a bicycle I got from the quests!  Loot!  Oh - the loot seems to be a bit 'heavy' especially if you go to the wasteland early in the game.  I've gotten some serious loot there.  And the quests... OMG!  The quests... Good for beginners but for some reason I'm getting the same 6 or so quests at the same exact locations.  You would think that with the size of the city (guesstimate +80 buildings) I'm in it would at least randomize them... At least once you've basically finished the quests the first run - it would start randomizing the buildings.  At least that's what I thought, but it's the same 6 every time.  I've gone through them at least 3 times to verify.  So I've semi-temporally moved to the desert, and that 'city' is small with maybe 30 or so buildings... Not thinking that will help.  Schematics... YIKES!  Double Yikes!  Where in the heck can you get them?!?  Newspaper machines, etc... Crack-a-book bites the big one now!  What?  5 loot boxes with the tables for schematics?!?  Leveling is okay, about the same.  But playing is getting frustrating when you're dependent upon the traitor or your luck in the loot to try to find a schematic you should have access to make something...  Honey?  What honey?!?  Yikes.  A bear will only get you 10 meals?  No!  It should give you upwards of 20 if not more.  Ugg!  But overall - the game has progressed in what I think is the right direction!  But it's all these little things that keep me moving towards mods.

So... Ultimate question is: What do you think so far?

Edited by Cadamier (see edit history)

Only playing pregen but I also noticed that farms are maybe too plentiful in small towns.

And same POIs used for quests is less than in A19 but still very common. The interesting thing to find out is whether this is because there are just those few houses of a specfic quest-tier in such cities or if there is a real bug or a suboptimal algorithm at work here

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

3 minutes ago, meganoth said:

Only playing pregen but I also noticed that farms are maybe too plentiful in small towns.

I haven't played pregen but in RWG I've had the exact opposite - towns with no farms, all the farms are in what I call the "farmburbs" at the outskirts of large cities.

1 hour ago, Mahnogard said:

I haven't played pregen but in RWG I've had the exact opposite - towns with no farms, all the farms are in what I call the "farmburbs" at the outskirts of large cities.

Maybe you had lots of old-west towns?

Also it depends what you call town versus city. Many of the thingies I would still call towns have a very small central town district.

12 hours ago, Cadamier said:

Hello!  Well where to start.  Totally Vanilla!  I started when it first came out and I'm level 110 at day 99.  I have a 10k Map and it bites the big one; world generation.  This is Thee worst one I've ever seen!  In the north is the RAD zone - once it starts to effect you - you have to back out further than when it started effecting you!  Doesn't make sense.  There's like 12 cities and 4 small townes.  Cities have many buildings - residential, industrial, etc.  And they're virtually perfect.  Where as the small towns barely have 10 to maybe 20 buildings with a shop or two but 'houses' mostly.  Except for the city I spawned in the entire western half of the map is virtually empty.  There are about 30, count them 30 - POI's on this side of the map, but +90% open space.  Are we getting Farm Happy?  I mean there's 30 farms in this city!  30 of them!  There are tonnes of mountains, and the terrain is soo rough they're impassable by land vehicle; unless you want to bike & run.  Near the central area of the map is wasteland - and it's got a huge city!  Prime Loot Time!  I died like 6 times getting some serious loot at level 10 with a bicycle I got from the quests!  Loot!  Oh - the loot seems to be a bit 'heavy' especially if you go to the wasteland early in the game.  I've gotten some serious loot there.  And the quests... OMG!  The quests... Good for beginners but for some reason I'm getting the same 6 or so quests at the same exact locations.  You would think that with the size of the city (guesstimate +80 buildings) I'm in it would at least randomize them... At least once you've basically finished the quests the first run - it would start randomizing the buildings.  At least that's what I thought, but it's the same 6 every time.  I've gone through them at least 3 times to verify.  So I've semi-temporally moved to the desert, and that 'city' is small with maybe 30 or so buildings... Not thinking that will help.  Schematics... YIKES!  Double Yikes!  Where in the heck can you get them?!?  Newspaper machines, etc... Crack-a-book bites the big one now!  What?  5 loot boxes with the tables for schematics?!?  Leveling is okay, about the same.  But playing is getting frustrating when you're dependent upon the traitor or your luck in the loot to try to find a schematic you should have access to make something...  Honey?  What honey?!?  Yikes.  A bear will only get you 10 meals?  No!  It should give you upwards of 20 if not more.  Ugg!  But overall - the game has progressed in what I think is the right direction!  But it's all these little things that keep me moving towards mods.

So... Ultimate question is: What do you think so far?

I think you should try to proof review your RWG maps in a 'try before you buy' and you will prolly enjoy the game a bit more.

Also, I'd chuck the notion of needing a 10k map.  Larger maps, in my experience, also come with large tracks of unnecessary wilderness.

There's nothing wrong with going to mods to enhance the minutia of your world experience.  They do help in a lot of nuanced ways.

Also, and please be aware - Despite having an A20 branch that is stable, does not mean this experienced in considered finished in any way.

Things are still a' changin'.

Edited by Ramethzer0 (see edit history)

4 hours ago, meganoth said:

Maybe you had lots of old-west towns?

Also it depends what you call town versus city. Many of the thingies I would still call towns have a very small central town district.

I usually refer to those with the downtown district tiles as cities (and on my a20 maps so far, those have mostly been fairly big), and what I consider towns are smaller areas with mostly residential and usually just up to T3 commercial. 

Cities do have downtown districts, etc.  Towns on the other hand do not - and generally only have a few stores with mostly homes.  First map - was as indicated and second map the same.  Third map exactly the same but I watched the RWG and saw 205 wilderness POI's being generated.  That's 205 'areas' that are surrounded by 'wilderness' that are being used for those wilderness POI's.  The scope of this is general research in moving towards a server and playing with 7 other players as we usually do.  The problem is when you've wrenched all sources of brass and then become restricted to having to smelt dukes; which 'some of us' do not like to have to do.  At which point we'll either stop playing till another map is made.  With the map size - when you're playing with 7 others is that we'll all go in different directions and generally loot an entire town and move on.  This is one of the primary ways 'we find the game fun.'  For my part - I understand that RWG is pretty good and it is the way it is because TFP want's 'realism' in RWG.  And it is as they're wanting it; and it does seem realistic.  For my part I would like to see most +40% of the map being used.  Or at times I would like to see single or multiple 'huge cities' made.  RANDOM THOUGHT: I was thinking with reviewing the maps - is that TFP could get back to the A15(?) example of a huge town at 0,0 that was in the wasteland biome that was very dangerous lol  That was fun!  With the way they've done loot it's reminiscent of that again!