TopMinders

TresChocolates

Basing this purely on the fact that you have to ask; no. Old maps won't work.

1 hour ago, TresChocolates said:

intentare aportar mi granito de arena

"I intend" "to port" "my" "granite" "arena" ..? or something? If you want to export a POI from an old save, you might be able to do that and potentially import it to A20 somehow - I can't help with that, and it's likely a modding-section issue anyway.

@theFlu you will henceforth be known as "capitan obvio" lol

You can use the same seed but it is going to be all different from A19 to A20. Just between different versions of A20 the terrain generator changed multiple times.

It might be as good or better or it might suck.

• 2 weeks later...

Krougal gracias por darme un respiro.

El hecho es que ese mapa estaba muy bien. Pero claro, al haber un cambio de alpha, se volvio inutil.

Lo que yo quiero saber es si alguien sabe si se hara algo similar para esta nueva alpha.

On 5/1/2022 at 13:21, theFlu said:

Lo aceptaré, me han llamado cosas peores... incluso si eso es 'ajeno' y no 'obvio' como supondría. :) 

No tengo ninguna intencion de entrar en tu top de las peores cosas que te han llamado 😹

Gracias nuevamente por contestar.

Y ya que hay que explicarlo todo.

” Aportar mi granito de arena” 

Significa: ayudar a Subquake economicamente. Aunque sea una donacion mensual irrisoria para todo el esfuerzo y tiempo que dedica.

Buenas noches bebes 🖤

The problem with online translators isn't so much the translator itself, it's the dialects, colloquialisms, and spelling/grammatical errors people make when writing. In any language.

@TresChocolates appears to write perfectly Google-compliant Spanish! And we gotta have at least a couple of Spanish-speakers 'round here.

13 hours ago, TresChocolates said:

Thank you Krougal for giving me a break.

Fact is, that map was pretty cool. But of course, having an alpha change, it became useless.

What I want to know is if anyone knows if something similar will be done for this new alpha.

And replying to theFlu:

13 hours ago, TresChocolates said:

I have no intention of entering your top of the worst things that you have been called 😹

Thanks again for replying.

And since everything has to be explained.

"Contribute my grain of sand"

Means: help Subquake financially. Even if it is a derisory monthly donation for all the effort and time he dedicates.

It does sound like this is a good topic for the mod forum. But TresChocolates, you ought to use Google Translate on your posts. They are easily understandable in English. Better than much of the English we get in here from native speakers.

7 minutes ago, Boidster said:

to use Google Translate on your posts. They are easily understandable in English

I dunno, I think I'm more lost with understanding that Subquake ad than I was before; are we talking about the drum'n'bass event from Netherlands... or did Undead Legacy have something to do with something here? :)

No worries thou, I don't to need to understand.. :)

I try to use google translator (I speak Portuguese), and my language has some pitfalls. I'll try to cite an example, but I'm not sure if you can understand this in English. EG: In Brazil, we call bus stops of "point of bus"

Anyway, Bus Stop is the correct one indeed, because "point of bus " should be "bus stop point" (in literal translation into English, saying "point" is unnecessary in this case), just say Bus Stop to understand). We can assume that "we speak wrong" in Brazil. For this reason, translation from English to Portuguese by Google seems strange. Likewise, I'm never sure if the portuguese to english translation is correct, even writing in good portuguese. 

PS: "point", in Brazil, has basically the "same" usage as dot, spot, point, score (depending on the context)...

Quoting my Canadian friend, after a conversation on Discord, he mentioned this:. EG:

Cool = cold, fresh, chill.
Cool = good, nice, sweet.

Edited by DiegoLBC1 (see edit history)

I think we can use "point" in all of those ways also. So we have "bus stop" for where the bus stops, and we have "vista point" (like on a scenic highway) for where your car stops to look out over a vista (ooh, more Spanish). Are you writing your posts in Portuguese and then Google-translating them for the forum? Because if so, wow it's working out pretty well.

I know a little bit of Korean and my native Korean girlfriend and I talk about the language differences a lot. Not only is Korean structured differently from English (it uses subject-object-verb word order, so "I to the store go" instead of "I go to the store"), it also overlays a system of honorifics and politeness levels like other Asian languages. So saying "I'm going to the store" can be done a few ways depending on whom you're talking to. It requires a lot of mental work for me to craft a sentence in Korean. (The first time I visited her family, I did a Stupid American Trick and walked on the hardwood floor of the apartment with my shoes on. There are several ways to say "I'm sorry" in Korean, with different politeness levels. For my 2nd Stupid American Trick, I chose the "I'm sorry this happened to you" - a sort of expression of sympathy - to her mother. Instead of "I'm sorry I did this.")

image.png.df953aa7279000f99ec21e71490ff8c6.png

For her part, there are some quirks in Korean conversation which can trip her up in English (she's fluent in English, except for the occasional quirk). For example, take this question: "You didn't get groceries?" Assume that you did NOT get groceries.

English response: "No." (acknowledging that there are no groceries)

Korean response: "Yes." (acknowledging that the questioner is correct)

Korean also has a single character - ㄹ - which is pronounced between an 'R' and an 'L' sound. It is extremely difficult for me to get the pronunciation correct and I'm sure her family chuckles internally when I pronounce it with a strong American accent. It also contributes to some...fuzzyness...in her pronunciation of R and L. She will complain about silent characters in English words and I will remind her that Korean characters can completely change their pronunciation - or go silent - depending on where they are in the syllable! We have fun.

I am half-Portuguese, but I don't know a word of it. Besides my family name, ha!

Edited by Boidster (see edit history)

Yes, I write my text in portuguese in google translator, copy the result in english, then paste it in google translator to convert from english to portuguese (to ensure that my text is written correctly and expressing exactly what I intend to say.

These language "traps" are sensational, and I totally understand how you feel. In Brazil we say "Rose Red" (flower > color), while in English you say "Red Rose". In Brazil, the only difference between question and answer is the grammatical punctuation (?) at the end of the sentence. In English the beginning of the sentence changes if it's a question (Can I?) or an affirmation/answer (I can).

The portuguese of Portugal is very different from the brazilian portuguese. In Brazil, in some cities, the language is so peculiar that it seems to be another Country/Continent. Many people, including our natives, say that Brazilian Portuguese is one of the most difficult languages to learn, because of these "traps", slang and so on.

Yesterday I read a post by @Pernicious:

Spoiler

A man is floating in a hot air balloon, totally lost. He sees another man working out in a field, and decides to float down to ask this gent for some help.

"Excuse me mate - Could you tell me where I am?" He calls out.

"Sure - You're in a hot air balloon, about five metres off the ground!" the man on the ground replies.

Bemused and nonplussed, the man in the hot air balloon yells back "Well that's was completely useless. You must be an engineer, technically correct, but you've missed the point of my question".

The engineer on the ground replies "Ah, you must be a middle manager".

Now curious, the manager queries "I am, but how did you guess?"

"Well, you had a problem. Rather than ask me directly to solve your problem, you asked me a question without context, and I answered it correctly. Now, you still have a problem, but some how it's my fault!".

Portuguese citizens are literal, like the Engineer in the text above. Brazilian citizens "read between the lines" 😂. EG:

"Do you know how to go to this store?"

Portugal: "Yes, I know"
Brazil: "Yes, you will walk to the end of the street, turn right, walk 2 more blocks, and you will reach your destination."

Edited by DiegoLBC1 (see edit history)

18 minutes ago, DiegoLBC1 said:

Brazilian citizens "read between the lines" 😂

Koreans too. They aren't explicit about context in their conversations and they will also do what we call "beating around the bush" - using implication and nuance rather than direct language. It's very tied up in the politeness and the idea of giving respect/saving face. I rather like the concepts, but it makes following a conversation difficult if you weren't there from the beginning. They don't sprinkle pronouns into their speech as much as we do (so keeping track of who/what they're talking about can be difficult), they don't have definite/indefinite articles (there is no "the book" it's just "book") and there is no plural consonant. There is a way to indicate plural with a word-suffix, but they often just leave that out. Hey, if you don't understand what they're talking about, I guess you just weren't supposed to be part of the conversation! :) 

My girlfriend has been here long enough, speaking American English long enough, that she is far more direct than her family is when speaking Korean. I think they can tell she's been "Americanized". She still won't use Korean swear words, though she can drop F-bombs at will.

Edited by Boidster (see edit history)