I can't make a player generated map. It just continually remakes.

bigstanki

Me and my friend have been trying to make an advanced gen map now for a few days. I go into it, name it, select my specifications, and then start to generate it.

Once it's generated, it shows an extremely zoomed in version of the map and then it allows me to back out or generate again. It never puts me into the map and I'm not able to play on it. If I back out, nothing is saved and I have to go back in and redo it. Any suggestions?

I did clear the previous data from all the other versions.

Sounds.. normal?

Once generated, you'll have to start a new game with the map you made. Take a note of the name (something Muzoboki Valley) when generating, then select that map name from the list at the New Game menu. You have the right list if you can find Navezgane and couple PREGEN maps on the list.

The "extremely zoomed" version of the map, you can fly in it to check the layout. You need to mouse drag to change your direction (I think right click -drag) and move with the normal movement keys.. mousewheel or +/- to change movement speed.

Between generating a map and starting a new game, it's a good idea to exit the game entirely. This is to free the memory taken by map generation, for some reason it doesn't get free'd properly.

26 minutes ago, seagas said:

So on that same thought, how does one see the whole map like they show on the seed thread? 

I haven't done one myself, nor read the threads; but the first couple in the A20 thread look like they've just flown upwards in the preview, far enough so the whole map fits the preview window at once. I think spacebar is bound to fly-straight-up, so just press space long enough after generation. (movement speed changes should effect the upwards speed as well, to cut some time)

theFlu is correct. It's not just a 2D top-down picture, it's a 3D preview which you can fly around, like so:

image.png.d5e77829bfbb702a24233a7f78c137f0.png

Controls
W/A/S/D: work as expected, but forward/back act like down/up if you are looking straight down, like you are right after the generation completes

Up (increase altitude): Space

Down (decrease altitude): Ctrl

Move map: right mouse-drag (recommend only dragging the top half of the map, otherwise it can get confusing)

I was not able to get any keys - +/-, pgup/pgdn, mousewheel - to change the flying speed. If you are trying to zoom out all the way, it is pretty slow.

Another option is this handy-dandy map previewer, which works with A20: https://kui.github.io/7dtd-map/. Move the Prefabs slider to 0 to get rid of all the red Xs (I already did that for this screenshot; you'll see).

image.png.093a954e7736f4e48a6aea79d39407b7.png

9 hours ago, bigstanki said:

Me and my friend have been trying to make an advanced gen map now for a few days. I go into it, name it, select my specifications, and then start to generate it.

Once it's generated, it shows an extremely zoomed in version of the map and then it allows me to back out or generate again. It never puts me into the map and I'm not able to play on it. If I back out, nothing is saved and I have to go back in and redo it. Any suggestions?

I did clear the previous data from all the other versions.

See here if that answers your questions