The lever-action rifle should fire .44 magnum

Kothre

I think it would be greatly beneficial for the new-lever action rifle to fire .44 magnum rounds instead of 7.62 rifle ammunition for the below reasons.

1. In real life, there are no lever action rifles that fire 7.62 (neither x39 nor NATO). If there are any, they are novelties that I've never heard of, and as such are not a commonplace weapon. The primary reason for this is that tube-fed weapons risk accidentally setting rounds off by packing pointy bullets in with each other. Lever-action rifles very commonly fire handgun ammunition, however.
  2. In game, 7.62 is a massively overloaded cartridge, being used by seven weapons now. .44 magnum currently loads into two in-game weapons. Swapping the lever-action's ammunition would help give .44 magnum more utility, while easing the burden on 7.62's necessity.
  3. Pistol Pete governs both 9mm and .44 magnum weapons, whereas Machine Gunner and Dead Eye both only use 7.62. This change would even help bring Dead Eye into line with the ammo versatility that Pistol Pete offers.
  4. The two current .44 magnum weapons are both governed by Agility/Pistol Pete, and given the heavy-handed nature of the skill system, oftentimes players not going for agility simply do have a reason to expend handgun cartridges. This would add extra utility to .44 for non-agility builds.
  5. This change would require very little work on the devs' side as .44 exists in-game already. Furthermore, it would add no new extra inventory micromanagement to players compared to adding some new cartridge like 5.56.
Edited by Kothre
Formatting (see edit history)

I agree because I've always loved me some cowboy guns. I disagree because I understand the game mechanic here. It falls under "rifles" so instead of reading "7.62" and assuming it's a true to form representation, it's really just code for "rifle ammo". As a gun nut myself, there are too many inconsistencies to pretend anything here is a good representation/simulation. It's a game, it's the apocalypse, have fun with your 7.62 lever gun. I wish it would take tube extension mods like the shotgun does!

I've been corrected on real life versions of 7.62 lever-actions. They do exist, but they tend to use magazines due to the length of the round and due to potential danger of lining up pointed rounds. At any rate, the in-game lever-action is not magazine-fed.

• 2 years later...

¨Perhaps this thread is a bit old, but I just found it while googling for .44 real world weapons for my mod. I have already made a mod that, between other things, adds a T3 lever action rifle (The Winchester 1873) that fire .44 ammunition (and removes the silly black gunpowder effect when shooting, which made no sense). In case anybody else is looking for something like this in version 1.0, here is the link here in the forums:

On 12/19/2021 at 8:36 PM, Kothre said:

I think it would be greatly beneficial for the new-lever action rifle to fire .44 magnum rounds instead of 7.62 rifle ammunition for the below reasons.

1. In real life, there are no lever action rifles that fire 7.62 (neither x39 nor NATO). If there are any, they are novelties that I've never heard of, and as such are not a commonplace weapon. The primary reason for this is that tube-fed weapons risk accidentally setting rounds off by packing pointy bullets in with each other. Lever-action rifles very commonly fire handgun ammunition, however.
  2. In game, 7.62 is a massively overloaded cartridge, being used by seven weapons now. .44 magnum currently loads into two in-game weapons. Swapping the lever-action's ammunition would help give .44 magnum more utility, while easing the burden on 7.62's necessity.
  3. Pistol Pete governs both 9mm and .44 magnum weapons, whereas Machine Gunner and Dead Eye both only use 7.62. This change would even help bring Dead Eye into line with the ammo versatility that Pistol Pete offers.
  4. The two current .44 magnum weapons are both governed by Agility/Pistol Pete, and given the heavy-handed nature of the skill system, oftentimes players not going for agility simply do have a reason to expend handgun cartridges. This would add extra utility to .44 for non-agility builds.
  5. This change would require very little work on the devs' side as .44 exists in-game already. Furthermore, it would add no new extra inventory micromanagement to players compared to adding some new cartridge like 5.56.

If not at least a modified receiver for the gun too boost damage 

Or maybe a new class of guns like carbines. 

You have 9mm carbines then you got the 44 carbines 

I'd like that -- a lot of guns use 9mm and 7.62, but only the magnum uses .44. I think the lever-action is ripe for .44 because there's already enough sniper rifles in the game. That said, I was really glad when they added it as it is my favourite Wild West style gun :)

28 minutes ago, OneManStanding said:

I'd like that -- a lot of guns use 9mm and 7.62, but only the magnum uses .44. I think the lever-action is ripe for .44 because there's already enough sniper rifles in the game. That said, I was really glad when they added it as it is my favourite Wild West style gun :)

In blood moons they have this lever action 

Think it would be cool if carbines was a sub class of rifles like how Magnums are a sup type of pistols. 

You would have the pipe carbine, and pipe hand Canon for Magnums 

Then you got the varmint rifle.. a pump action 9mm rifle 

The hunting carbine that is a 9mm bolt action 

And the assault carbine. That looks like m1a1 with a 9mm receiver 

Then you got 44 carbines 

You got the revolver repeater a 6 shot 

Then a trail carbine a 8 shot 44 lever action 

Then the assault carbine that looks like a small m4 with a 44 receiver 

Screenshot_20240815_144950_YouTube.jpg

Screenshot_20240815_144947_YouTube.jpg