why does it now take double the time or more to make bulk gunpowder?

SoulReapeR949

I just got to the stage where I can make bulk gun powder. I always look forward to this as I get the 1000 gunpowder for the cost of 800. but I remember making 10 stacks of bulk gunpowder and it taking around 160 minutes or so to make. right now it takes over 300 minutes now to make 10 stacks of bulk gun powder. I'm starting to think that its not a good trade off any more. it takes way more time to now make and I'm using double the wood burning in the chem stations to make it. I'm actually thinking its no longer worth doing bulk gunpowder for the time as I could make double the amount normally. I see no reason why this change was made as I'm ready to just go back to making normal gunpowder as the extra 20% just isnt worth the double amount of time to make in my opinion. bulk gas didnt get this change nor did bulk ammo or anything else I can see. so why double the time on bulk gunpowder?

1 hour ago, SoulReapeR949 said:

but I remember making 10 stacks of bulk gunpowder and it taking around 160 minutes or so to make.

There's a word 'remember' there; I don't really doubt you, but could it be something else? In the time you remember from, you had crafting goggles, perks from INT, somesuch?

Did you check if the normal gunpowder takes less time per 1000? 16:40 for 1k powder is 1 sec each.

yes it takes 16:40 to make 1k of powder I looked that up but to make 1 bulk powder is now 30 minutes and I know it was not that long before. if anything it took the same time. every other bulk recipe gives you the bonus of 20% of the mats to make and either less time or the same. so why just about double the time for powder? at the game stage I'm at I need lots of bullets for hoard night and even though I lose out on the 20% I can make double the amount of powder.

yes, I forgot that I had those on.  The only eyewear I have found so far in 5 days.  Nice catch.

So it doesn't look like crafting time has changed.  Just some memories are not correct  😉

Wonder if the OP had perks in Physician and was getting up to a 40% reduction in crafting speed at the Chem station

So, as this thread is a bit of a pain to read (or at least I had trouble keeping up, maybe too little sleep)

- the gunpowder stack takes 30:00, 1000 singles take 16:40

- this has Not changed since A19 as per @DiegoLBC1

- but it still could use a fix .. :)

Not sure if I agree it needs a fix.  Correct me if my math is wrong, but if you max perk into physician and have nerd glasses, you see a 50% reduction in crafting time in the chemistry station (40% from perk and 10% from glasses) which means bulk gunpowder takes 15 minutes to craft.  Single crafting at the chem station would go down to around 8 minutes to craft.  Still about half the time, but now you are at 15 min per stack instead of 30 min.  I think the choice right now is fine - you can either make your resources go further but take longer to craft, or faster crafting but get less from your raw materials.

I think they are taking that into consideration when balancing crafting times and the benefit of speccing  into specific perks.

17 minutes ago, BFT2020 said:

I think the choice right now is fine - you can either make your resources go further but take longer to craft, or faster crafting but get less from your raw materials.

Sure, I don't mind either way. Which is why I said "could use" and not "need" ;)

Either way works, it might mess up your horde night plans once, in case you even keep track of crafting times. The extra firewood is not an issue for me, the nerd pole from Toolbelt-6 has been fueling my fires just fine since... forever, without much effort.

47 minutes ago, BFT2020 said:

Not sure if I agree it needs a fix.  Correct me if my math is wrong, but if you max perk into physician and have nerd glasses, you see a 50% reduction in crafting time in the chemistry station (40% from perk and 10% from glasses) which means bulk gunpowder takes 15 minutes to craft.  Single crafting at the chem station would go down to around 8 minutes to craft.  Still about half the time, but now you are at 15 min per stack instead of 30 min.  I think the choice right now is fine - you can either make your resources go further but take longer to craft, or faster crafting but get less from your raw materials.

I think they are taking that into consideration when balancing crafting times and the benefit of speccing  into specific perks.

Doesn't bulk gunpowder require max Demolitions Expert from the Perception tree?

2 hours ago, hiemfire said:

Doesn't bulk gunpowder require max Demolitions Expert from the Perception tree?

Very good point.

So to unlock the fastest crafting time, you would need to be able to get to Perc 5, Demolitions Level 3 along with Int 9 and maxed out Physician