Every time I logout world saves but character is reset, windows(Alpha 20 SP)

se7en

As the title suggests, this is really getting on my tit. No issues until I updated to A20 experimental. World saves, character resets every time. My settings the exact same as they were prior to updating. I have honestly  checked everywhere online, every fix was based on previous Alpha builds, tried them nonetheless. Please save my PC from the open window. 

edit; all old save files and generated world files deleted.... Completely fresh start, game reinstalled, verified files and the likes 

Edited by se7en (see edit history)

• se7en changed the title to Every time I logout world saves but character is reset, windows(Alpha 20)
  • se7en changed the title to Every time I logout world saves but character is reset, windows(Alpha 20 SP)
1 minute ago, Westr276 said:

The same problem, I can't find a solution, I reinstalled both Windows and the Game three times, the world is saved, the character is reset every time.

Oh thank the lord, I thought I was alone. If you find a solution before me please let me know. I will put it straight up as soon as I know if you can do vice versa that would be great. My head hurts 

3 minutes ago, se7en said:

Oh thank the lord, I thought I was alone. If you find a solution before me please let me know. I will put it straight up as soon as I know if you can do vice versa that would be great. My head hurts

I dug up the access rights, but everything is without result, I have an attribute on suspicion, only reading in the properties, it does not uncheck the box, therefore I can assume that with its checkbox set, changing files is not possible, but this is my guess.

39 minutes ago, se7en said:

Dude, followed the post. explain to me what you would like, a pirouette, a cup of tea, maybe a reach around and a bowl of coco pops?. 

I would like for you to read the pinned topic that I graciously linked for you (so you don't even have to search for it) and post the information that it states to share (like system specs, system settings, game logs).

maybe a reach around

I got to ask.  Is this how you normally respond to people that actually reach out and try to help?

41 minutes ago, Westr276 said:

The same problem, I can't find a solution, I reinstalled both Windows and the Game three times, the world is saved, the character is reset every time.

Can you also look at the pinned post I linked in this thread and provide the information in it?  That will help out for people trying to assist and troubleshoot your issues.

FYI, I been playing the latest experimental on my computer and haven't had any of these issues so far.  So any information you can provide will be helpful to try and root cause this issue

4 minutes ago, BFT2020 said:

I got to ask.  Is this how you normally respond to people that actually reach out and try to help?

I thought it was a kind offer?

Hmmm before linking me to 'report issue' section isn't gracious'. It's sarcastic, and as such because you already felt you directed me there once before. 

But thank you

edit: reaching out to help was my intention 

Edited by se7en (see edit history)

I'm having the same issue but not until day 5 or so. I start back on the road naked, level one and no skills/progress. Old wood frame and campfire from initial starter quest still present. This has happened twice in a row with to different random gen worlds, both around day 5.

• Did you start a new game and re-create the issue?           YES
  • Have you validated your files through Steam?                   YES
  • After validation, did you re-try with a brand new game?   YES

https://pastebin.com/sZRCReMr

3 hours ago, gaijin48842 said:

I'm having the same issue but not until day 5 or so. I start back on the road naked, level one and no skills/progress. Old wood frame and campfire from initial starter quest still present. This has happened twice in a row with to different random gen worlds, both around day 5.

• Did you start a new game and re-create the issue?           YES
  • Have you validated your files through Steam?                   YES
  • After validation, did you re-try with a brand new game?   YES

https://pastebin.com/sZRCReMr

I don’t see anything in your log file that points to what is causing that, there are zero errors and the info lines state games is saved and game preferences are saved. In case something from one of the mods is interfering with your saves, can you try loading up a game with everything vanilla and see if the same thing occurs? All but one of your mods are Khaines and I’m positive he’d want to know if one of his mods was responsible for this. If you still get the same result with no mods then hopefully someone else will have some ideas. Post back after giving that a try.

To everyone else in this thread, no one can help any of you without more information. The info in the pinned topic is the minimum needed to help you. Otherwise, it would be like me calling a car mechanic on the phone and telling him my car won’t work and ask him what’s wrong with it.

Edited by Star69 (see edit history)

21 hours ago, gaijin48842 said:

Tried loading game without any mods and that didn't help. Still level 1. Forgot to mention in my last post that I tried running the game with EAC off and that didn't help either.

Have you excluded Steam from your antivirus? Sometimes antivirus programs can prevent access to files.

I have been having the same problem but I don't even make it to day 5, it seemed to be random.
I tried removing mods and trying each individually (although I use very few) and tried reinstalling

However I may have been able to lock down the problem by accidently, then recreating the problem.
I played for a while, closed the game and disconnected the internet to save data on my hotspot and when I reloaded the game (without internet) it was a character reset.

So I replicated it, again it happened. So then I tried making a world offline, quit and reloaded the save it was fine, when I quit and then turned on the internet it reset my character again. Basically if I make the world while connected to the internet it has to be reloaded while connected. Same for offline.
So I know there's a lot of info to share in order to find the problem. But I'm not good with tracking all that data down so I figured first share with yall. If it does the same to yall when recreated I figured you guys could pinpoint the problem better.
(If this doesn't make sense let me know Ill better explain, or make a video)

Ok, started a 3rd world and same thing happens. Day 4 around 22hours, quit game have dinner, come back to original spawn point and level 1.  Go back to my base and everything is still there but "jammed", my bike says it belongs to another player. It's treating me as if I were an new player joining the world. It doesn't recognize me as the original player. This time I'm going to continue to play and see if it happens again. I'll use the creative menu to return my lost gear. Nothing to be done about the skill points/levels lost but to redo them.

I did a clean reinstall and created a new world. I'm on day7 and haven't had any problems so far. The only thing different this time from the prior 3 failed attempts is, When setting up the game I had "Persistent Profiles=off" originally. Changed it to ON and problem seems to have gone away. Since the bug seemed to treat me like a new user ,I thought I'd give this a try and its working. Hopefully this helps others.

On 12/20/2021 at 7:51 PM, Beelzybub said:

@gaijin48842@Dracula

It's a known issue that if you use offline mode in Steam it will create a new character than when using online mode.

Can you try both online and offline in Steam and verify that this is the problem you are having?

Tried this already dude, absolutely no luck whatsoever. I have exhausted my options. I'm trying everyday as new updates drop. The game was fine until I changed to experimental, been bolloxed ever since. Rolled back to 19, all clean installed, all files wiped and the same everywhere. I'm baffled 

This is where the game is failing to load up your profile

1. Quote

2021-12-22T22:22:28 303.048 ERR Loading player data failed for player 'EOS_0002dea6c5214b93afa2354af5aff365', rolling back: Attempted to read past the end of the stream.

I tried to recreate it on my computer (using the same map as you) but everything loads up fine.  Can you go in your Saves folder and look in the players.xml file (Drive/Users/Username/AppData/Roaming/7DaysToDie/Saves/Nazegame/Stable)?

Does it look like this (this is the game I just started)?  Also, have you started a new game and the issue still exists (not continue on with an existing game)?   Your issue might be a corrupted save file.  And if so, the next question is does it occur every time you start up a new game.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<persistentplayerdata>
  <player platform="EOS" userid="0002735b702b4b368b8ae1b421a36ae9" playername="BigFurryTarget" lastlogin="2021-12-22 10:26:16">
    <bedroll pos="2890,42,-1784" />
  </player>
</persistentplayerdata>

1 hour ago, se7en said:

Log file

This line from your log could show a problem

GamePref.PlayerName = 😈💀Lord_Bucket_Head😈💀

In previous builds there have been reports that non ascii characters in a name will screw up a game or server. You could test that hypothesis with a short/simple name like "Mike" for example.

10 hours ago, BFT2020 said:

This is where the game is failing to load up your profile

I tried to recreate it on my computer (using the same map as you) but everything loads up fine.  Can you go in your Saves folder and look in the players.xml file (Drive/Users/Username/AppData/Roaming/7DaysToDie/Saves/Nazegame/Stable)?

Does it look like this (this is the game I just started)?  Also, have you started a new game and the issue still exists (not continue on with an existing game)?   Your issue might be a corrupted save file.  And if so, the next question is does it occur every time you start up a new game.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<persistentplayerdata>
  <player platform="EOS" userid="0002735b702b4b368b8ae1b421a36ae9" playername="BigFurryTarget" lastlogin="2021-12-22 10:26:16">
    <bedroll pos="2890,42,-1784" />
  </player>
</persistentplayerdata>

Thank you for taking your time to check this for me. As below I removed certain characters from my steam name and it's working a charm. This has been a massive headache, taken well over a week to sort out. Thank you very much.

9 hours ago, Beelzybub said:

This line from your log could show a problem

GamePref.PlayerName = 😈💀Lord_Bucket_Head😈💀

In previous builds there have been reports that non ascii characters in a name will screw up a game or server. You could test that hypothesis with a short/simple name like "Mike" for example.

You're an absolute saint, it worked a treat. It's taken me well over a week to sort this... For me you are the patron saint of 7D2D. I really appreciate you taking your time to look at my problem. I'm up and running, I'm happy and more importantly I get to experience alpha 20 now. Legend!