A20 multiplayer "E" key not working and I fall through the ground

Par_A

Hi all.
I'm having some technical issues with connecting to an Alpha 20 multiplayer game server and I wanted to give a quick rundown of my successes and failures in case anyone has encountered similar things or has any thoughts to offer.

basic system info:
Linix Mint 20.2, kernel 5.11
Intel i9-10900 10 core
64GB RAM
AMD Radeon RX 6800 X

I upgraded my Steam copy of 7d2d from A19 to A20. (I kept a backup of my A19 files.) One of our group maintains the 7d2d (and Valheim) server and it has also been upgraded to A20. I've done a full uninstall/download/reinstall of A20.

After getting past being stuck on "Creating player..." 
(see A20 multiplayer launch stuck on "Creating player...") 

...and then getting past being stuck on "Starting game..." 
(see A20 multiplayer launch stuck on "Starting game...") 

...I managed to get into the PREGEN10K world on our server.

I got into the game and could do things, but no "E" key. Just didn't work. I could walk around, punch grass to get fibers and craft and place the bedroll, but couldn't pick up a small stone or examine trash. 

As I walked around I came to a place where the detail hadn't drawn -- smooth mottled green with no grass, no buildings -- and as I walked onto it I fell through the earth and just kept falling... haha. So I quit. 

When I tried to reconnect to the server, I got stuck again at "Starting game..." and haven't gotten in again since.

We might try using the PREGEN8K world as there might be problems with 10K ones, but that doesn't address the other issues.

I'm also an admin on the server, but in the brief time I was in-game the terminal behind F1 didn't recognize me; it didn't respond to dm or cm.

Any thoughts appreciated,
Par

Edited by Par_A (see edit history)

I'm having the same issue when I try to join my buddies game. He just got a new computer and this is the first time I've tried to join his game. My brother had the same issue trying to join my buddies game.

If my buddy tries to join my game, he just times out.

None of these issues happened with his old PC.

Same issue here on my friend's vanilla 7d2d server and A20 experimental server. We noticed that the " falling through the map" and "can't use "E" " errors correlated with very high ping spikes on my end (20K plus), which we originally thought was caused by my distance to the server. I've since uninstalled AVG antivirus and disabled windows antivirus, thinking that some real-time file scanning was happening. It seems to have helped, though I'm still testing. I also set my video settings to lowest and turned v-sync off. So far so good.

Re: A20, my player files keep getting corrupted server-side for some reason. After wiping everything related to 7d2d locally and reinstalling several times, I still got the error. So my friend deleted my player files on the server. This let me get back in (as a beginning character), but in a couple of days I was getting red code error spam, and my character was dropping everything on death (server has that disabled). Shortly after  I couldn't launch game...was hanging on "creating player" again.

One final mention, is that after doing a full reinstall, start a local game first, before joining multiplayer. Anyway hope you get things sorted out, its really fristrating huh?

Edited by BP1
typo (see edit history)

38 minutes ago, BP1 said:

Same issue here on my friend's vanilla 7d2d server and A20 experimental server. We noticed that the " falling through the map" and "can't use "E" " errors correlated with very high ping spikes on my end (20K plus), which we originally thought was caused by my distance to the server. I've since uninstalled AVG antivirus and disabled windows antivirus, thinking that some real-time file scanning was happening. It seems to have helped, though I'm still testing. I also set my video settings to lowest and turned v-sync off. So far so good.

Re: A20, my player files keep getting corrupted server-side for some reason. After wiping everything related to 7d2d locally and reinstalling several times, I still got the error. So my friend deleted my player files on the server. This let me get back in (as a beginning character), but in a couple of days I was getting red code error spam, and my character was dropping everything on death (server has that disabled). Shortly after  I couldn't launch game...was hanging on "creating player" again.

One final mention, is that after doing a full reinstall, start a local game first, before joining multiplayer. Anyway hope you get things sorted out, its really fristrating huh?

Hi, yeah, it's really frustrating. All the others are in the new game, and I can't join. arrgghh.

I just got in momentarily again, and my "E" key was non-functional. My ping at the time was not great, but not all that bad either at 175ms.

I'll try reducing my video settings, but I've got good hardware. Good luck to us! :-)

Par

So I tried reducing my video settings and turning V-Sync off. I got into the game, and I could pick things up!  But only for a couple minutes. It soon went back to no "E" key. It just stopped working.

Par

Jeesh. Are you checking ping in game at all? I join at just under 200ms ping, but see the (massive) spikes during game....hit "I" and last menu tab to check ping in game, I think.

Really sucks not being able to play with friends huh?

Edited by BP1
typo (see edit history)

What I miss seeing is any mention of having cleared previous data like saves and settings, i.e. the suggestion that is on top of every forum page in blue.

0) (If you want to keep your old worlds and savegames from a19, the ones you probably never will visit again 😉, backup them now to a location far far away)

1) Start the game launcher from steam (you normally should be asked whether you want to start the game or the launcher)

2) click on the tools tab

3) select the last option "clear ..."

4) turn on all checkboxes and execute. 

To check that it really worked, try to start a new local SP game, you should be asked to select a new player profile. 

Good call meganoth. Yeah I've done all that several times now :(

Can't speak for Par_A, but when I uninstalled/reinstalled the game (A20) , part of the process was using the game launcher to delete previous saves and settings in the  USER->appdata-> roaming->7d2d folder. I backed them up on another drive. 

Next I started a new solo game. I was asked to select a new player profile, and used the same one I used to connect  to the multi player game originally. 

I still couldn't connect to the multiplayer game until the corrupted player files were deleted from the server. But within two days, the player had corrupted again and I could not rejoin the game...currently hanging on the "create player" screen.

Having no issues with joining a darkness falls multiplayer game (this game is located in separate folder)  Its only A20 that is corrupting my player.

The alternative is that there is something wrong with that server. Try to join other a20 servers and see if you get the same problems or not.

And if you do, try to get server and client logs of the sessions were the problem happened. Without logs there is not much this forum can do for you.

13 hours ago, meganoth said:

What I miss seeing is any mention of having cleared previous data like saves and settings, i.e. the suggestion that is on top of every forum page in blue.

0) (If you want to keep your old worlds and savegames from a19, the ones you probably never will visit again 😉, backup them now to a location far far away)

1) Start the game launcher from steam (you normally should be asked whether you want to start the game or the launcher)

2) click on the tools tab

3) select the last option "clear ..."

4) turn on all checkboxes and execute. 

To check that it really worked, try to start a new local SP game, you should be asked to select a new player profile. 

Oh, yeah, I've done those things. If you were to read through the other reports in this three-issue series, mentioned above, you would see those things in my bug (and possible fix) reports. The admin with physical access to the server has been clearing my save data from the server for me as well. This is a complicated issue, and is spread over three reports, to keep it one issue per report.

However, I am now able to get in to the game and play, and everything seems to be working.

I am one of the two admins on the server and have been beating my head against this issue for a few days now. The solution that seems to have worked was a fresh installation of Ubuntu 20.04 to run the server from. Not an older version patched up to current, but a fresh install. It seems there may be a discrepancy.

Another poster noticed an issue with "Open Game Panel," and while we don't use that, the problem that came to light seems to affect us.

Please see:

Don't know if this will help others, but I am now able to play together with my friends on our dedicated server. And THAT, of course, is the goal. :-)

Par.

Well, it was short lived. I got into game last night with friends. Had a blast. Got in again this morning. Cool. Went out for some errands and since I got back it doesn't work again. <sigh>

There's two sets of symptoms: one is hanging on "Starting game..." My character appears in game, and I can see the lines in the terminal that show in-game things like zombie counts, but all I see is the "Starting game..." screen.

The other admin deleted my player files on the server for me and I was able to get in to the game, but once again I couldn't interact with anything. No "E" key. dm and cm don't work in the terminal either, so it doesn't recognise me as an admin. I can do other things though, like open inventory, look at the map, etc, but no "E"

Frustrated.
Par

3 hours ago, Star69 said:

From looking at your log file from one of your other posts, it seems you are using Vulcan. According to Fatal, Vulcan causes problems with 7 Days. How about trying a new run without using Vulcan??

Hi Star69, and thanks.

When I first started the journey of getting my gaming going on my nice new Linux box, I had bad results with GLCore and 7D2D. Weird colours and very high contrast. All blacks and greens. When I switched to Vulkan, it worked. That was with Alpha 19 just a few weeks ago. I've just continued to use Vulkan.

I just tried again, though, with GLCore. I did get into the game, and it looked good, so that's a step, however it behaved exactly as it did in my previous post -- I couldn't interact with anything. No "E" key. dm and cm don't work in the terminal either, so it doesn't recognise me as an admin. I can do other things though, like open inventory, look at the map, etc, but no "E"

Another curious thing is that the past several times after I quit out of the not-quite-working game, 7D2D downloaded and installed an update, about 34MB in size. This has happened several times now when quitting after trying to play the game. I don't know what that's about, but seems related.

Thanks again,

Par

Saying it again, logs of both server and client are needed. In the case of not being able to log in the previous logs AND the logs where you can't log in, so 4 altogether.

PS: I'm playing on ubuntu 20.4 with vulkan, my server is debian, and I had no problems so far.

5 hours ago, meganoth said:

Saying it again, logs of both server and client are needed. In the case of not being able to log in the previous logs AND the logs where you can't log in, so 4 altogether.

PS: I'm playing on ubuntu 20.4 with vulkan, my server is debian, and I had no problems so far.

Hi, the logs are already included in the 2nd of the three-part report. I didn't include the logs in every report as it would be unnecessary clutter. I believe I mentioned that above, but no worries, I can include them again here.

Here's the logs:
Client: https://pastebin.com/JPEMU1qb
Server: https://pastebin.com/81mBPNyT

And here is the link to the 2nd of three report:

I'm playing on Mint 20.2 and have tried both Vulkan and GLCore. Our server is Ubuntu Server 20.04 , and I _wish_ I had no problems.

Any suggestions appreciated,

Par

I just wanted to contribute my similar experience.

Server logs: https://pastebin.com/JrrKtmBz

Client logs: https://pastebin.com/vcyuCihr

I have been falling through the map at certain points. You can easily tell there is a rendering issue that creates some sort of boundary. Crossing the boundary on a minibike and slowly start to fall until you back out. Enter on your feet and you fall to oblivion, then respawn on the surface with no input controls working at all. Ping has nothing to do with it. I am running this server in a VM on a server on my local home network so there is little to no latency.

Here's a clip: 

Edited by sk3tch288 (see edit history)

6 hours ago, sk3tch288 said:

I just wanted to contribute my similar experience.

Server logs: https://pastebin.com/JrrKtmBz

Client logs: https://pastebin.com/vcyuCihr

I have been falling through the map at certain points. You can easily tell there is a rendering issue that creates some sort of boundary. Crossing the boundary on a minibike and slowly start to fall until you back out. Enter on your feet and you fall to oblivion, then respawn on the surface with no input controls working at all. Ping has nothing to do with it. I am running this server in a VM on a server on my local home network so there is little to no latency.

Here's a clip: 

A couple of things…..the server is showing EAC connection issues. That can be just a temporary thing and fix itself. The alternative is to run your server with EAC off which is good and bad. Turning it off improves server performance but also you’d me more susceptible to players using cheats.

The client file shows errors with the new dynamic mesh system. Turn off dynamic mesh in your video settings and see if that helps with falling through the map.

• 3 weeks later...

We are running a server game on GTXGaming and get the "E" button issue and falling through the map. The only way we can correct this is to leave the game and log back in. We have tried (6 people) to find what causes this but cant fathom it out. GTX have been stars and tried several things on the server side but nothing changes. It can play OK for hours and be fine but then sometimes it lasts 5 minutes and you are on and off every  minute :(. The falling issue, for us, happens only with Bikes and trucks when leaving it. The "E" button is random but mainly when trying to get into storage boxes.

Can anyone help?

Hello my friend has been having the issue where they are unable to loot containers or interact with anything with the 'E' key. They are having enormous ping spikes as well. This is the second server we have started to see if it was the previous ones problem, but the problem still occurs.

Here is the log from my gameplay. It is not a dedicated server just run by me whenever I'm playing.

https://pastebin.com/V8VvqyVw

Here are a couple logs from my friend who is having the issue:

https://pastebin.com/gtCsrtZ7

https://pastebin.com/iAFNY3Rq

Any and all help will be much appreciated!

44 minutes ago, LeviathanT96 said:

Hello my friend has been having the issue where they are unable to loot containers or interact with anything with the 'E' key. They are having enormous ping spikes as well. This is the second server we have started to see if it was the previous ones problem, but the problem still occurs.

Here is the log from my gameplay. It is not a dedicated server just run by me whenever I'm playing.

https://pastebin.com/V8VvqyVw

Here are a couple logs from my friend who is having the issue:

https://pastebin.com/gtCsrtZ7

https://pastebin.com/iAFNY3Rq

Any and all help will be much appreciated!

Several things that I see: many chunk errors so your world is likely corrupted and you'll need to start a new world. Secondly, go into your serverconfig file and where it says: 

"ServerDisabledNetworkProtocals"  make value="SteamNetworking" and see if that helps some lag.

Same problem here, I'm hosting a dedicated (bat) server but my friend can't go more than 20 minutes without running into the interact issue, he has less than 30ms ping to my server and has also experienced the falling through world glitch once. Both of us have fully cleaned out old files, manually deleted everything and fully reinstalled the games beforehand. Whenever we tried playing a RWG server he simply gets stuck at 0% download despite both of us having Gigabit fiber connections, he had seemingly no issues DLing other servers though.

Here's our logs:

Server/me: https://pastebin.com/5LUvbUTs

Friend: https://pastebin.com/Eehv9Gv3

Edited by Aurani (see edit history)

29 minutes ago, Aurani said:

Same problem here, I'm hosting a dedicated (bat) server but my friend can't go more than 20 minutes without running into the interact issue, he has less than 30ms ping to my server and has also experienced the falling through world glitch once. Both of us have fully cleaned out old files, manually deleted everything and fully reinstalled the games beforehand. Whenever we tried playing a RWG server he simply gets stuck at 0% download despite both of us having Gigabit fiber connections, he had seemingly no issues DLing other servers though.

Here's our logs:

Server/me: https://pastebin.com/5LUvbUTs

Friend: https://pastebin.com/Eehv9Gv3

You have 2 unrelated issues going on and am surprised that you can play that seed with no issues. Your log shows the presence of A19 files in your A20 game, which has nothing to do with your friend being unable to connect. To fix your issue, click on the blue banner at the top of the forum and follow the instructions for cleaning you old files then uninstalling/reinstalling the game. Be sure to manually delete the mods folder and it’s contents. I don’t think the A19 files are from the mods.

Your friends issue is that his connection to the litenetlib server is not being answered. Two possibilities are that you, as host, need to be sure that you exclude your 7 Days folder from your antivirus/antimalware software and your friend should probably do the same. Second possibility is the necessary ports on are your router are not open/forwarded properly. I’d start with the antivirus since that’s the easiest.

also here the "E" problem in a multiplayer server. 

It is shown today after several days of normal playing...i have tried from my side to:

- validate locale data

- delete my local saves and reconnect to the server

Singleplayer works normally 

2 hours ago, Star69 said:

Your friends issue is that his connection to the litenetlib server is not being answered. Two possibilities are that you, as host, need to be sure that you exclude your 7 Days folder from your antivirus/antimalware software and your friend should probably do the same. Second possibility is the necessary ports on are your router are not open/forwarded properly. I’d start with the antivirus since that’s the easiest.

Friend here. I have disabled my firewall, disabled my antivirus, added an exception to both (it was already there before but I redid it just to make sure), forwarded all the necessary ports, disabled every possible protection setting on the router, reinstalled the game, cleaned every file from the PC, once again uninstalled and reinstalled it as per the rules on the blue sticky above, and it still doesn't want to download the world and is stuck at 0%.

Likewise, I'm still having the "E" issue on the server, regardless if we play Navezgane, the preset random world or a newly made random world.

Aurani will once again provide both our logs.