[Partly Solved] A20 multiplayer launch stuck on "Creating player..."

Par_A

Hi all.
I'm having some technical issues with connecting to an Alpha 20 game server and I wanted to give a quick rundown of my successes and failures in case anyone has encountered similar things or has any thoughts to offer.

basic system info:
Linix Mint 20.2, kernel 5.11
Intel i9-10900 10 core
64GB RAM
AMD Radeon RX 6800 X

I upgraded my Steam copy of 7d2d from A19 to A20. I upgraded my Steam copy of 7d2d from A19 to A20. (I kept a backup of my A19 files.) One of our group maintains the 7d2d (and Valheim) server and it has also been upgraded to A20.

When I tried to login it got stuck on "Creating player..." and I had to quit 7d2d from Steam. 

After some searching I found suggestions to clear my player data from the server. It's stored in the Player folder of the save, identified by your Steam-64 ID.

For example...
11111111111111111.ttp
11111111111111111.ttp.bak
11111111111111111.ttp.map

The .map file can be left alone, but the other two must go/be replaced. Reports of this go back to 2015.

The server admin did this for me and I got past the "Creating player..." message. But only the first time, though.

This problem keeps happening. Almost every time I try to connect to an A20 server game, even if it's the very first time, I get stuck on "Creating player...". How can there already be player files to delete if it's the first time? 

This is just one issue in my current journey to play A20 with my friends on our server. Please see also my reports on:

A20 multiplayer launch stuck on "Starting game..." 

and
A20 multiplayer "E" key not working and I fall through the ground 

Any thoughts appreciated,
Par

Edited by Par_A (see edit history)

3 hours ago, Beelzybub said:

As a guess I think A19 saves data and maps were not cleaned from the server and/or client.

Thanks for the response. I don't think that's the issue in this case. I removed all my maps and player data (they are backed up and saved) and did a fresh download and install of A20. The A20 server was put on a new, fresh installation of Ubuntu 20.04. 

Best,

Par

• 1 month later...

yo fellas! i have exactly the same issu but in solo mode.... i launch the game, "fun pimps" logo is good, the menu is good!  i launch my solo save and it just load the different screen loadings! but then it  freezes on "creating player" and the game crash and close by itself... 
no mods are in, and i loaded the latest A.20.2 version....

sorry for my bad english... im french! le baguette

Edited by coco07fr (see edit history)

On 2/9/2022 at 8:09 AM, coco07fr said:

the game crash and close by itself.

The is usually a hardware issue. Check your Windows Event viewer to see if there is an entry at the same time your game crashes. Post it here if you find it.

If the game has an issue, it may show in the game log.

Log is in the game folder, in the 7DaysToDie_Data folder.

Upload your game log to pastebin.com and post the link here.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/3/2022 at 6:10 PM, Casketman said:

Well here's mine. Granted, I play WotW but since last week, I haven't been able to get onto my server. Even after removing my player file and also starting a new save.

Gets to "Creating Player" and hangs.

https://pastebin.com/ACKyPXeW

Hmmm.....a bunch of errors though not sure if they are 'normal' errors due to mod or if they are a real issue. First thing, I would use the Game Launcher->Tools tab and check/clean all boxes. Second, try verifying game files......twice or three times. Lastly, reinstall WotW as some of the errors mention missing files/attribute. If you do all of this and you still can't join the server, I'd go to the WotW forum and ask there. Maybe someone else running that mod has run into this as well.

Bunch of hard-mods on top of hints that ports aren't properly forwarded and/or a firewall causing an issue; I would check the latter two first.

And yeah a lot of mod errors in there as well.

On 3/3/2022 at 6:10 PM, Casketman said:

Well here's mine. Granted, I play WotW but since last week, I haven't been able to get onto my server. Even after removing my player file and also starting a new save.

Gets to "Creating Player" and hangs.

https://pastebin.com/ACKyPXeW

Edited by Jugginator (see edit history)