Feedback on iron sights and rendering of held firearms. (Alpha 20)

jeromeN7

With the quality improvements to rest of the game, the iron sights and rendering of held firearms looks outdated.

In general all the guns should look a little further away from the camera.

It would look much more natural if held weapons would play a different animation when sprinting.

Like lowering the gun or pointing the barrel up.

All the pistol's appear too close to the camera in and out of iron sights.

Just imagine how you'd have to be holding the pistols for the way they look on screen.

In iron sights it looks like we are holding the pistol 3-6 inches away from our face.

I shouldn't have to say, that's not how we operate pistols.

Pipe Pistol - Other then the main problems with all pistols... The tip of the front post iron sight doesn't align with the center of the screen.

Pistol - In iron sights the front post is too tall, it should be about this same height as the rear sights for aesthetics alone. This gun's iron sights look clownish.

.44 Magnum - The big font post and not using the rear iron sights is a problem.

.44 Desert Vulture - This gun has the same problem as the .44 magnum... Also, please, this gun needs rear sights.

Pipe Shotgun - All it needs is for that front post to be in the center of the screen and it's perfect.

Double Barrel Shotgun - The front post is a little low and should be in the center of the screen. It's a stylish depiction but the gun should be level.

SMG-5 - Front post is too tall. This gun needs rears sights, which should look like a small cut out in that cylinder in the back of the gun.

Ak-47 Machine Gun - This gun follows the trend of not using it's rear iron sights, which is a problem.

Tactical Assault Rifle - No rear sights, please give it some and incorporate them.

M60 Machine Gun - Well, the sights aren't good enough in comparison to the power of the gun.

Hunting Rifle - Front post is clownishly tall, and there are no rear sights. The old hunting rifle had great iron sights.

Lever Action Rifle - Front sights look believable but no rear sights...

Sniper Rifle - This is the top tier precision rifle in the game, and we are looking through a circle. It needs a thin piece of metal to come up and meet the center of the circle.

I'd give the other guns a free pass for one reason or another. The biggest problems with iron sights are... Missing rear sights... Not incorporating the already existing rear sights when aiming down sights.... The end of front sights not aligning with the center of the screen.... And front post sights being too tall, especially on pistols.

I really like the aesthetics of guns with no optics. The Pistol (M9 Beretta) was really nice before, and I preferred it with no optics. If I'm being honest I think the Pistol's iron sights are ruined. It's the same story with the M60's and Hunting Rifle's iron sights. I liked using those guns with no optics, but now the iron sights are honestly terrible.

Please excuse my rude honestly.

I completely agree with you.

One thing I've always wanted is an update on aiming system.

Unfortunately, in the Alpha 20 this topic was not considered.

Just look at the difference in aiming between new games (like Battlefield, CoD, Far Cry etc..) and 7 Days To Die to realize how outdated its aiming system is.

Something that I REALLY HOPE they're gonna fix is the front sight, which is totally misaligned on almost all guns, which is a big problem.

Another big problem is the absence/minimal effect of the recoil and the absolutely steadiness of the gun when you aim.

I want to feel the player's breath as I aim, the recoil and the inaccuracy of the weapon when I fire, even more so when I fire in automatic.

Imho, I've always hated drawn crosshairs. I want to aim with the sight of my weapon, not with a big X drawn on the screen. Crosshairs were used in games like 10 years ago, but nowaday it's an obsolete thing.

I know I can disable it through the XML files, but still the sight is not alined with the center of crosshair (and so the trajectory of the bullet), so it's a bit useless.

I hated "game" guns that had the gun fire at the tip of the iron sights for one big reason:

when shooting something even at medium-short distance or further, the iron sight would block the body of whatever you were shooting at.  Maybe guns held much further out would help with that, but I'm 100% thrilled that the iron sights on many of the weapons now stop a noticeable distance UNDER the crosshair - it means I can actually see what I'm aiming at while i adjust the aim