Tristam's a20 mod release thread.

Tristam

EDIT: https://www.nexusmods.com/7daystodie/mods/2380?tab=description

Smadoll99 made a new version of this mod that is even more in tune with vanilla and fixes the iron sights.  Give him some love.

My mods are not always balanced, but they are fun.  Bear that in mind.

Tactical Action:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IOyvf3anN3wtPkRq-UU0-mpFOyRUXM5z/view?usp=sharing

All credits to IvanDX for the original mod.  I removed a lot of things to make it less of a headache since my a19 version.  No more Screamer psychic powers or fat man exploding.  I also removed biome changes and most items.  It's down to the guns now.  The sights on the guns are a bit low atm.  I'll work on them later, but wanted to get this out the door for now.

Changelog:

1-28-22, The Kriss Vector, Spas Shotgun, MP5's, and Ump have all been successfully updated.  Fully iron sight alignment and letter removal.  I also added a new Dev item that spawns all the TA mods for my sanity when it comes to testing everything.  All the guns now properly slow you down when you reload and drain your stamina when you ads. Thanks MikeyUK.  I've also noticed the extra Garand's I left in the file, but I won't remove them yet to make it safe to update your game.  I'll remove them later down the line, though.

1-13-22, centered the Ammo Bench.

1-10-22, fixed a lot of the crosshairs when using mods on the guns.  With very, very few exceptions.  Known issue: M4A1 has one sight mod that causes it to become completely invisible.  Looking into that.  Big thanks to Roy-O-Roma, Ragnar, and magejosh for their contributions to the latest update.

1-4-22, fixed most of the crosshairs.  The ones that aren't completely aligned only need minor adjustments.  This does not include all scope mods.  I'm leaving the crosshairs on untnil ALL the sites are perfectly aligned.  The Ammo Bench now shows your backpack, and hides your compass for easier use.  The name is also properly displayed as "Ammo Bench" rather than "ammobench".  Huge thanks to Ragnar and ate0ate for their contributions to this update.  You can thank Ragnar for the scope updates, and ate0ate for the Ammo Bench changes.

1-3-22, fixed some of the crosshairs but not all of them.  Much work to do on that front.  I believe the new holdtypes threw everything off.  If someone has a blanket solution, that would be ideal.  Meantime, I'll slowly patch them in.  Be warned: the quality of the ADS has dropped since A19, due to the new ADS and hold changes that I'm not able to keep up with.  I'll do my best to make it functional as well as fashionable, but function comes first.  Until this is done, I've enabled crosshairs on all weapons due to how off some of the sights are with some of the guns.

Tristam's Drone Health Max:

9-15-22, initial release.

Increases the health of drones to '100,00,000' from the default '100'.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UTdZfn7nomPzMOxOTRg46T7qwVNLPmm3/view?usp=sharing

Tactical Action modders' Resource for making your own ReClass recipes:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fUDMQfeTOsAVjhFwVcBt3s_NkAsO70mZ/view?usp=sharing

Tactical Action compatibility patches:
Action Skills: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JarAKrnrXURF5UjXphvGw9AA-3veUXgW/view?usp=sharing

Changelog: Update with normal xp values.  Original file had my testing values of 10x exp on.  This is fixed now.

ReClass: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xEjYb_3B2qzLgSPlE670iVmBGDnLs1GX/view?usp=sharing

Changelog:

Hotfix: Removed Drone Weapon Mod as it was causing errors.

This adds TA weapons and ammo to the ReClass's weapon token's recipes.

Valmar's Starter Class System, Tristam edition

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rV5GK2ldSe3A0gT7s-1TDXxhXUW7lAHT/view?usp=sharing

Will not work without Tactical Action.  My own version of a classic mod that kept me in the game for a long, long time.  This version is very unbalanced, purposely.  But it is fun, and made to work with increased spawn rates, custom zombies, or some other difficulty increase.  You will start with a Class Key and a Clipboard.  Check the Clipboard's recipes to see the classes and craft one.  You will get matching briefcase/backpack to place on the ground.  Equip the Class Key on your toolbar and then use it to left click the Class Backpack.  It will unlock, and you can get your gear, and enough supplies to handle the starter quest as well.

ReQuests

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oVWl4eu62a84n52YmjqGZMg5BR9P7NRn/view?usp=sharing

Changelog:

1) Reduced the Duke awards of all quests by 3/10ths.  If you want to earn some money, do the traditional quests slowly.  If you want to earn rewards, do these.  You can still get plenty of money quickly, but ReQuests is focused about the quest rewards, not the coin, and should no longer outright replace standard quests.

Will not work without Tactical Action.  Another unbalanced mod that solves an issue I always had: returning to the trader between each and every mission.  Or having to get one from each.  OR not being able to negotiate for what rewards you want, where you want to go, or do easier/harder quests on demand.  I also hated hunting down each and every zombie in a POI, or not always being able to leave.  Now, 10 nails and 10 wood will get you a Bulletin Board that you can place anywhere.  Get your quests there, and go out and conquer.  Every sort of quest there was in a19 is represented here, with some slightly new ones made by yours truly.  Most quests involve killing x amount of zombies instead of completely clearing out a place.  Makes sense to me since the zombies never truly go away forever, so you don't need to be so thorough just for it to fill up again in the future.  Think of it as agreeing to trim down their numbers instead of "wiping them out."

Note: The 4x4 Truck quest is currently broken and will be fixed later.  As-is, your kills are reset at 255 and you cannot get the 1000 you need for the completion.  I'll fix it at some point.  For now, just don't take it.

You should also be aware that some Quests won't work.  This is a game flaw, so to speak, as there might not be an appropriate location for the quest to take place.  Simply cancel it and pick a different one.

ReClass

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1epuZDDfIB4ii8GPS1pYZ9hr2EqrGZgXX/view?usp=sharing

Changelog:

3) Builder and Mechanic Classes were giving the wrong items, and the "Even" random class was named "uneven."

2) Updated bundles cost so you have a reason to buy them.  For the cost of 500 rounds, you get 600.

1) modinfo was improperly named, which made it incompatible with Tactical Action.  It has now been fixed.

New mod that I made practically from scratch.  It's an overhaul of the "Valmar's Starter Class System, Tristam edition".  The difference this time is that the classes are much more balanced.  You start with a Bug-out bag, use it to pick a class, and that class then gives you an unlocked bug out bag, materials for the starter quest, and Tokens.  These Tokens cover everything from Weapons and Ammo to Clothes and Armor.  There are 11 different kinds, and you use them to craft your starting equipment.

The general rule of thumb is "3" is the best, 1 is the worst.  You can take a Tool Token and get a Wiretool, or you can use 3 to get an Auger, Nailgun, or Chainsaw.  What tokens you get and how many depend on the class, so expect something like a Medic to have a lot of Medic Tokens, but the Bruiser will have a lot of Armor and Melee Tokens.  So now, even if you pick a class that specializes in ranged combat, you're going to have to balance between having a high tier gun and the ammo that goes in it.  Things are a lot more fluid now, and there's nothing keeping you from pooling resources with friends.  Why spend one Vehicle Token on a bike when you guys can get together four for a 4x4 the base can share? 

Oh, and don't worry about being bored from having everything done for you from the start, as everything you craft will be level 1, or w/e level your stats/perks support.  This makes is viable for late entries into servers as well, since you can have a higher level friend craft better gear for use if you so choose.  Assuming you know someone you can trust to do it.

As requested, I put in a few random classes as well.  There's "Random Uneven" which will give you random tokens, "Random Even" which will give you a very balanced spread of Tokens, and "Random Select" which will give you one of the base classes at random.

Lastly, I've set it up so that the classes are easy to edit or update for the future or any modder out there who likes to tinker.

Spear Bag Mod (thanks saminal for helping me figure out how to go about this)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1K4OXSr3A_-FKu19txB6FRB_uDlgh-aid/view?usp=sharing

This mod adds bundles that you can create just like a spear, or WITH a spear.  We've all wanted spears to stack so we have a reason to throw them, and now you can.  Make a bundle, put it on your toolbar for convenience, and left click to unbox a spear.  Move the spear to your toolbar and then that slot will "remember" the spear.  So now when you throw the spear, you can either pick it up or unbox another spear from your spear bag and it will go right to that slot.  Unbox, throw, unbox again.  All spears can be crafted into spear bags for easy stacking.  The quality of the spear you unbox from a bundle is based on the quality of the bundles themselves-- and yes, they're color coded. 

Each rank in the Javelin Master perk unlocks the next tier of spear bag.  Steel Spear Bags have to be unlocked with the Spear Hunter vol 3 book, just like vanilla Steel Spears do.  Steel Spear Bags made with parts have to be crafted at the workstation just like vanilla spears (see a pattern?) while the Spear Bags that are made directly from spears themselves can be made anywhere-- steel or not.

Spear bags stack to 150, just like arrows.  The crafting time for recipes that use spears as ingredients (aka reboxing) are instant.  (0.1 crafting time)  Spear bags cannot be sold.

Known balancing issues: 

1) Crafting a spear into a bundle and unboxing it repairs it for free.  That's just how the game works.  Think of it as incentive to use spears.

2) There's nothing stopping someone from taking a quality 1 spear and boxing -> unboxing it into a quality 5 spear, provided they have the appropriate recipes unlocked.  Again, nothing I can do about that so just consider it another perk for spears.

3) Upgrading spears as described in #2 would be a good way to increase sales for them.  I chose not to lower spear prices as I felt like that would be overreaching the scope of the mod, and didn't want to decide on a price for everyone, or prevent them from being sold altogether.

Edited by Tristam
Drone Health Max release (see edit history)

It's funny because I was literally pulling my hair out trying to get the A19 starter class system to work on A20, but then rage quit and gave up. I come back here to see if anything is new and bam! Here it is! 

Appreciate you! ❤️

Actually, I'm still having trouble with it. I installed the Tactical Action as well, but all I can do with the classSelection clipboard is scrap it or drop it.

Edit 1: Nevermind. I cleared all my other modlets from the mods folder but your two and it works now. Must be a modlet compatability issue, so not on you.

Q1) By the way, would it be possible to add the "wildcard" class back in? I liked having the 20 free skillpoints at the "cost" of losing all potential starter equipment.

Q2) Do you have an updated list of what items are in each class bundle?

Thanks again for your hard work!

Edited by Vlinch (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Vlinch said:

Actually, I'm still having trouble with it. I installed the Tactical Action as well, but all I can do with the classSelection clipboard is scrap it or drop it.

Edit 1: Nevermind. I cleared all my other modlets from the mods folder but your two and it works now. Must be a modlet compatability issue, so not on you.

Q1) By the way, would it be possible to add the "wildcard" class back in? I liked having the 20 free skillpoints at the "cost" of losing all potential starter equipment.

Q2) Do you have an updated list of what items are in each class bundle?

Thanks again for your hard work!

I can make the wildcard if there's a vanilla item that adds skillpoints.  If not, I'm going to either have to make my own or use someone else's.  I'll look into it, I forgot about that.  I'm used to using other mods that let me read my extra books for skillpoints, so I didn't think of it.

As for a list, no, I don't.  I was in the midst of overhauling everything and haven't gotten the mod where I wanted it.  I'll definitely post here when and if I do.

Good time of the day! I've been enjoying this mod of yours on the A19 for quite some time and installed the A20 version tonight.
Unfortunately, I cannot understand the reason behind the issue I have with Tactical Action mod.
In particular:
- the texture pop-up when you pull out your gun looks all stretched and screwed, blocking my screen.
- when I am shooting any weapon apart grenade launchers I see giant ass purple squares instead of any projectiles.
- Minigun in particular becomes purple as well after firing it for a little bit.
Am I doing something wrong, or is it the problem behind some textures you've put in the A20 version of the mod?

1 hour ago, AlexaMalva said:

Good time of the day! I've been enjoying this mod of yours on the A19 for quite some time and installed the A20 version tonight.
Unfortunately, I cannot understand the reason behind the issue I have with Tactical Action mod.
In particular:
- the texture pop-up when you pull out your gun looks all stretched and screwed, blocking my screen.
- when I am shooting any weapon apart grenade launchers I see giant ass purple squares instead of any projectiles.
- Minigun in particular becomes purple as well after firing it for a little bit.
Am I doing something wrong, or is it the problem behind some textures you've put in the A20 version of the mod?

The texture popup isn't screwed on my screen.  Take some screenshots?

The purple squares happens to me with thrown spears and arrows in vanilla, so I have no idea what that's about.

Give me as much info as you can and I'll look into it.

1 hour ago, geengaween said:

Are the guns in Tactical action lootable in containers or are they only craftable?

You can loot them just fine.  The odds of finding them are lower than normal weapons.  Your best bet is to try secret stashes in traders.

Fun fact: I didn't change their loot odds but the Fun Pimps overhauled the vanilla odds, so the vanilla guns are easier to find now than before and it's drowning out the TA guns.  You can thank Pipe Weapons for that.  Get past the early game and your luck will go up significantly.

1 hour ago, Tristam said:

You can loot them just fine.  The odds of finding them are lower than normal weapons.  Your best bet is to try secret stashes in traders.

Fun fact: I didn't change their loot odds but the Fun Pimps overhauled the vanilla odds, so the vanilla guns are easier to find now than before and it's drowning out the TA guns.  You can thank Pipe Weapons for that.  Get past the early game and your luck will go up significantly.

Awesome thanks for the answer, that's perfect. It's better if the odds of finding them are lower, you wouldn't want to be finding a ton of military grade tactical weapons everywhere

1 hour ago, Tristam said:

I honestly don't like the pipe weapons.... Why bother spending time increasing the gear score for a tier you outgrow in 20 minutes... I would rather they spend that time in end-game content with different classes of guns to fit the long-duration end-game. For example, if you like assault rifles, have multiple variants instead of just the "end-game variant", like an AK-47, M-4, M-16, FNP-90, etc. That way end-game isn't just a bunch of clones. I noticed Tactical had several sniper rifles that I played around with in God mode, but I don't know if they are all viable at end-game, or if we will all just be using the same sniper rifle when we all get there. I noticed there weren't any FNP-90s though. It's a shame because that's my favorite ammo-waster. 😉

Thanks, again, for al'ya'll's hard work on the mods!

Edited by Vlinch (see edit history)

34 minutes ago, geengaween said:

Awesome thanks for the answer, that's perfect. It's better if the odds of finding them are lower, you wouldn't want to be finding a ton of military grade tactical weapons everywhere

Agreed.  Even the worst of them is on par with a standard pistol, the rest are better by far.

16 minutes ago, Vlinch said:

I honestly don't like the pipe weapons.... Why bother spending time increasing the gear score for a tier you outgrow in 20 minutes... I would rather they spend that time in end-game content with different classes of guns to fit the long-duration end-game. For example, if you like assault rifles, have multiple variants instead of just the "end-game variant", like an AK-47, M-4, M-16, FNP-90, etc. That way end-game isn't just a bunch of clones. I noticed Tactical had several sniper rifles that I played around with in God mode, but I don't know if they are all viable at end-game, or if we will all just be using the same sniper rifle when we all get there. I noticed there weren't any FNP-90s though. It's a shame because that's my favorite ammo-waster. 😉

Thanks, again, for al'ya'll's hard work on the mods!

All of them are viable, because I made them that way.  I had that in mind back when I updated this for a19.  The general premise is: the weaker weapons are easier to upkeep, whether that be the gun itself or the ammo for it, and you get them early.  The later guns have more mods that work with them, and offer some combination of power versus clip size.  The general rule of thumb is that the slower it fires, the harder it hits.  So even if you love Sniper Rifles, I would carry a heavy hitting one for the daytime when they walk or for sneak attacks, and a faster one for when you're cornered or Horde Nights.

21 hours ago, Tristam said:

The texture popup isn't screwed on my screen.  Take some screenshots?

The purple squares happens to me with thrown spears and arrows in vanilla, so I have no idea what that's about.

Give me as much info as you can and I'll look into it.

I don't know what sort of information I can provide that can help you out. The purple square thing is similiar in behavior to the A20 arrows and thrown spears - I've noticed them taking on a purple hue as well.

Here is the Imgur album with screenshots of what's happening in my game. This is with only Tactical Action mod installed, zero other modifications on the game. Wiped and made sure it is as clean as possible, as well:

https://imgur.com/a/8jL8eSg

3 minutes ago, AlexaMalva said:

I don't know what sort of information I can provide that can help you out. The purple square thing is similiar in behavior to the A20 arrows and thrown spears - I've noticed them taking on a purple hue as well.

Here is the Imgur album with screenshots of what's happening in my game. This is with only Tactical Action mod installed, zero other modifications on the game. Wiped and made sure it is as clean as possible, as well:

https://imgur.com/a/8jL8eSg

I just tested in a20, vanilla with only the TA mod, and all files verified.  No issue.  What I did notice was that my hud looks different from yours.  I think there's a lingering mod in there that didn't go into the mod folder.  Try deleting your game and downloading a new copy.  Verifying the files might miss some things that you added in, so removing the whole folder is the safest way.  If you're feeling confident, move your Mods folder out and put it back in after you're done.  But the thorough thing to do would be to remove everything.

If you have the hard drive space, just move your entire game folder and download a new copy, so that if this doesn't fix it you can put it back if that's what you desire.

13 hours ago, Tristam said:

I just tested in a20, vanilla with only the TA mod, and all files verified.  No issue.  What I did notice was that my hud looks different from yours.  I think there's a lingering mod in there that didn't go into the mod folder.  Try deleting your game and downloading a new copy.  Verifying the files might miss some things that you added in, so removing the whole folder is the safest way.  If you're feeling confident, move your Mods folder out and put it back in after you're done.  But the thorough thing to do would be to remove everything.

If you have the hard drive space, just move your entire game folder and download a new copy, so that if this doesn't fix it you can put it back if that's what you desire.

I've found a way to fix my issue!

The reason behind my texture bug was the GLCore option I picked in my launcher. Switching back to DirectX 11 fixed the issue for me!

Hope it'll help someone else with similiar issue in the future!

6 hours ago, Kato I said:

The original Tactical Action mod contained Lavender. Please make a separate modlet with it? And thanks for your work.

Getting rid of the Lavender, Cherry Trees, and other block based features removed errors on startup.  If I can find a way to get them back in safely, I might.  I don't know how well they'll play with the new graphics, after all.

I can't believe you got TA working so quickly! I love the weapons this mod adds. Personally I'm glad you stripped out the other changes to Tactical Action and left just the guns. I actually do like many of the other features that were in it, but I think it makes more sense leaving them separated from the guns themselves, especially since changing zombie behavior and world generation can lead to more conflicts. If you do decide to add those features back at some point I would like to request making them independent modlets, if that is possible or reasonably simple of course. I can't wait to give this a try now. Are the gun sights so far off as to require the standard game crosshair or do I just need to aim a little high?

4 hours ago, ate0ate said:

I can't believe you got TA working so quickly! I love the weapons this mod adds. Personally I'm glad you stripped out the other changes to Tactical Action and left just the guns. I actually do like many of the other features that were in it, but I think it makes more sense leaving them separated from the guns themselves, especially since changing zombie behavior and world generation can lead to more conflicts. If you do decide to add those features back at some point I would like to request making them independent modlets, if that is possible or reasonably simple of course. I can't wait to give this a try now. Are the gun sights so far off as to require the standard game crosshair or do I just need to aim a little high?

From what I've seen, the crosshairs are removed when using the sights.

Quick question, would it be possible to remove the main screen change? I've seen a couple mods that do this now, but honestly I'm just after the starter class system, which is requiring me to make other weird changes to the game by adding Tact, and requiring a main screen change. I'd honestly just like to have the class system without any other changes, but I can understand if some of the starting classes have weapons from Tact in them, thus requiring Tact to be included in my mod order.

Thank you!

4 hours ago, Vlinch said:

From what I've seen, the crosshairs are removed when using the sights.

Quick question, would it be possible to remove the main screen change? I've seen a couple mods that do this now, but honestly I'm just after the starter class system, which is requiring me to make other weird changes to the game by adding Tact, and requiring a main screen change. I'd honestly just like to have the class system without any other changes, but I can understand if some of the starting classes have weapons from Tact in them, thus requiring Tact to be included in my mod order.

Thank you!

7 Days To Die\Mods\TacticalAction\Config\XUi_Menu

Delete that Xui_Menu folder to get rid of the main menu screen change.

As for the start class system, I'm looking into making a new one, that will completely replace this one.  I imagine you'll like it better, and it'll be much more balanced, so I haven't been giving much thought to the current one.

9 hours ago, ate0ate said:

Yeah, it was a high priority for me since I didn't want to play a20 without it.  And yes, I'll tryhard to make the changes separate, if I can.  I'm working on fixing the aim sights as best I can, but they are REALLY high compared to where the sights are.  I've got a partially done bit rn, but it takes a while.  I basically have to make adjustments to the file, load in from the main menu, and then try again and again and again.  I wised up and made 10 entries for each gun, and screencaps to compare my changes, but it still takes a while.  I've also ran into issues with some guns like the UMP, which worked fine in 19, but now I can't get the sights to line up.  It's like the gun is leaning backwards a bit.  So I've compromised by zooming in on the gun , but that means you can only use the far end scope, instead of both as it was meant to be.  Better than nothing, though.

Some of the guns translated just fine.  Seems like anything that zooms, worked fine.  It's the pistols, revolvers, and shotguns that needed the most work, with the smgs and half the assault rifles needing less.  I'm on it though, hold tight.

30 minutes ago, iicecube said:

Will the ammo and weapon mods work on vanilla weapons as well? 

The new ammo only works on the new guns.  Same with the mods.  The new guns that work with vanilla ammo... work with vanilla ammo.  I tried to stay true to IvanDX's design, out of respect for the original author.  And I didn't want to use the new mods with the old guns without them showing up cosmetically.

5 minutes ago, Tristam said:

The new ammo only works on the new guns.  Same with the mods.  The new guns that work with vanilla ammo... work with vanilla ammo.  I tried to stay true to IvanDX's design, out of respect for the original author.  And I didn't want to use the new mods with the old guns without them showing up cosmetically.

Ohh okay, so the new guns will work on vanilla ammo but just the new ammo only work with new gun, understood.