The 7D2D Mod Launcher - A Mod Launcher for 7 Days to Die

sphereii

I tested it with couple of other older mods (Starvation, DF, Valmod) and all of them don't work. I think the version selector doesn't work for that (or I'm totally missing some setting or button to press):

image.png.cbbf3fb530e98dc328d4be51b766dadc.png

1 minute ago, boban said:

I tested it with couple of other older mods (Starvation, DF, Valmod) and all of them don't work. I think the version selector doesn't work for that (or I'm totally missing some setting or button to press):

image.png.cbbf3fb530e98dc328d4be51b766dadc.png

It's trying to use the API to read version numbers. Maybe the API was different for those older mods. 

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know why the Better Vanilla overhaul isn't working?

Yes I am running V5 of the launcher.

Yes I tried deleting/reinstalling a cpl times already.

Going to the discord doesn't help because it insists that the launcher version is the only reason BV won't start using the launcher, and to make sure I'm using version 5.

Or, barring that, does anyone have any background on whether one of the other A21 overhauls is good to play?

Edit: I'm trying to avoid having to keep changing beta versions in Steam just to reinstall each 7DTD version to play A20.7 while I'm waiting and checking for a good overhaul for A21. Having to wait for 7DTD to re-download 13GB every time I want to see if an Overhaul is worth playing is becoming...tiresome to say the least.

Edited by Gidaeon (see edit history)

• 2 months later...

Hello sphereii!
I'm sorry if such questions have already been in this thread, but i would like to raise the topic of the problem of permanent links that the ModLauncher uses.

Undoubtedly, i understand the reasons for this....but are there really no options with workarounds?
I again ran into my own problem that occurs to me every time for different reasons - different limitations of gitHub/gitLab. in addition, other authors also use all sorts of different exchangers - who is good for what. In this regard, i want to propose an idea that could solve some problems.
Its essence is as follows:
- The ModLauncher from a permanent location (as it is currently used) takes a file in which there is a direct link to the link generated by the file sharing-service (which, as we often encounter, is not permanent and changes with each download).
Based on this link, the ModLauncher will install the mod if the link meets the remaining requirements.
The author of the mod will  changes the link in this pointing file, and therefore the autor will not need a permanent link requirement - only a permanent adapter file will have to be in the same place.
?

Edited by n2n1 (see edit history)

29 minutes ago, n2n1 said:

Hello sphereii!
I'm sorry if such questions have already been in this thread, but i would like to raise the topic of the problem of permanent links that the ModLauncher uses.

Undoubtedly, i understand the reasons for this....but are there really no options with workarounds?
I again ran into my own problem that occurs to me every time for different reasons - different limitations of gitHub/gitLab. in addition, other authors also use all sorts of different exchangers - who is good for what. In this regard, i want to propose an idea that could solve some problems.
Its essence is as follows:
- The ModLauncher from a permanent location (as it is currently used) takes a file in which there is a direct link to the link generated by the file sharing-service (which, as we often encounter, is not permanent and changes with each download).
Based on this link, the ModLauncher will install the mod if the link meets the remaining requirements.
The author of the mod will  changes the link in this pointing file, and therefore the autor will not need a permanent link requirement - only a permanent adapter file will have to be in the same place.
?

One of the issues with such a link is that the mod launcher v5 supports a history of downloads. A user may be able to download an older version of the mod. The reason for this is if the mod gets an update that is save-game-breaking, they may not want to take it. They may accidentally grab an update. 

Also with such a link of an auto-generated from a file sharing service, there may not be a way to know when the mod has an update.

One possible solution that works now is Github Releases. The Better Vanilla overhaul uses this method.

This allows you to upload a pre-made zip to github. Consider this video (no audio, visual only) : 

The limitation here is a 2G file.  

Is your mod under 2G? Would this be a possible solution?

Yes, my mod under 2gb for now....
The ModLauncher is able to unpack zip archives that are divided into parts?
I.e. I can send a zip archive divided into parts to the repository and the ModLauncher itself will download and unpack them to the right place?
Is that all?
And what about the cml file that was needed earlier to specify descriptions about mod?

Right now, it's only a single zip file, the first zip file in the release. The video is confusing with that, but it was made for a different purpose, even though the steps are the same.

If we need to do more than one zip, I would have to make changes. Not a big deal.

You would still need an XML. It would point to a different path, telling the mod launcher to read it as "release". 

The mod launcher will read and show all releases, with a description of each one, so players can choose an older release if they want.

:classic_blink:

https://github.com/n2n1/Classic-Style-Hardcore-MOD

I did something.... is it possible to add this to the launcher mod as a new release of the Classic Style Hardcore mod?

PS: i used zip, but i can also do it with 7zip... if i understood everything correctly and did it, then let it be added to the ModLauncher.

5 hours ago, n2n1 said:

:classic_blink:

https://github.com/n2n1/Classic-Style-Hardcore-MOD

I did something.... is it possible to add this to the launcher mod as a new release of the Classic Style Hardcore mod?

PS: i used zip, but i can also do it with 7zip... if i understood everything correctly and did it, then let it be added to the ModLauncher.

Almost, but it's actually easier ( I think anyway ).

UPD: That's it - i got it ! :D

Spoiler

As far as i know, in order to upload files over 100mb, i need to use the LFS system.
But i can't do it because i don't have a new version of the desktop utility installed (probably it's because of i use Win7), and i have many other problems which are related to the essence of the purpose of the github, as it is .
If I could upload large files, then i wouldn't bother with archives and their division. If i do the same then my repository will stop accepting files afterwards.

2 hours ago, n2n1 said:

https://github.com/n2n1/Classic-Style-Hardcore-MOD/releases/tag/v21.2.05hf
:)

(but it seems to me that the link contains unnecessary elements?)

The Source files are auto-generated and cannot be excluded from the process. They are the contents of the repo, and can be ignored.

I would add the CHS.xml to the repo itself, like you did with the first zip files. Players do not need to see that, and may get confused.

The releases do not have a 100mb limit. They have a 2000 MB limit though.

5 hours ago, sphereii said:

I would add the CHS.xml to the repo itself, like you did with the first zip files. Players do not need to see that, and may get confused.

Still, i would like this file to be located in the "releases" directory if possible.
The fact is that then it would allow me not to use unnecessary programs to access the "repository", and greatly simplify the process of the uploads.
But if you insist i will keep it in the "repository" :)

1 hour ago, n2n1 said:

Still, i would like this file to be located in the "releases" directory if possible.
The fact is that then it would allow me not to use unnecessary programs to access the "repository", and greatly simplify the process of the uploads.
But if you insist i will keep it in the "repository" :)

The XML is small enough you could use the "Upload File" from the website, so no need for a program to do it.

Most modders only update the XML when they want to change which version of the game to use. Even then, some people do not do that :)

14 minutes ago, sphereii said:

The XML is small enough you could use the "Upload File" from the website, so no need for a program to do it.

:classic_blink:.... I learned something new again....

Ah, that's is .... i've been on gitLab for too long...

Then I'll use it from there.

Check my release and add it to the launcher if everything is ok.

16 minutes ago, n2n1 said:

:classic_blink:.... I learned something new again....

Ah, that's is .... i've been on gitLab for too long...

Then I'll use it from there.

Check my release and add it to the launcher if everything is ok.

One more change to your CHS.xml:

This is your <Download> link.

<download>https://github.com/n2n1/Classic-Style-Hardcore-MOD/releases</download>

39 minutes ago, n2n1 said:

Added!  Now I can do it easily! :D

Will the absence of a tag affect anything?

No, this is perfect. Everything works. I was able to test it successfully. Thank you for your patience.

Welcome back to the Mod Launcher. You are now live in the mod launcher.

Are there any errors or limitations due to which the ModLauncher will not replace the xml-file and will leave the old one in use for itself?
Yesterday i edited the file and only 1 changes were accepted once, after they stopped changing...

3 minutes ago, n2n1 said:

Are there any errors or limitations due to which the ModLauncher will not replace the xml-file and will leave the old one in use for itself?
Yesterday i edited the file and only 1 changes were accepted once, after they stopped changing...

I think the changes will show up for new users in the Install New Mod screen. It is the only screen that reads that file.