Been planning an upgrade to my pc, quick question though

Stranded_Napkin

So, I have a solid computer but it is starting to age. The plan was always to upgrade the cpu, 1600X, to truly pair with my gpu, 1080TI. There are times where it will switch between being gpu limited to being cpu limited. The one thing I want though is to be able to handle smoother collapses. I believe that's a cpu intensive thing, but I am somewhat unsure of that. If anybody knows if that truly is on the cpu or if the gpu handles that, I'd appreciate the clarification. I won't be upgrading until the next generation of AMD cpus are released, so it's going to be a while. Just want the best understanding so I can gauge my best options: stick with what I've got, go intel, or go with the new AMD chips...or worry about the gpu if that's where the collapses are handled.

I could be wrong as I haven't done any testing, but I too think it's the CPU that handles the structural integrity calculations / collapses.

I also have a 1600x and a 5600x, the fps difference wasn't extreme for me, but that's likely because I'm GPU bound (custom OC EVGA GTX 1060 6GB). The biggest difference for me was the frame times being much more stable, either that or the devs did that with updates.

As for Intel's latest CPU... I like where they're going with the small cores mixed with normal cores. I don't know how I feel about it for gaming, but for office use, that concept sounds really good, especially for laptops. Unfortunately, they really need to focus on making them a lot more power efficient because you really can't overclock them at all as they already consume way too much power and because of that, run ridiculously hot to the point where even the best air coolers and AIOs can barely keep the 12900K from throttling. On the bright side, they've finally stopped being dumb and stubborn with their ancient 14nm tech that they've been hanging onto for like the last 10 years or so and did something completely new and different. Hopefully Alder Lake is the beginning of something great like the first gen Ryzen was. But I definitely wouldn't recommend buying it right now given the power draw and DDR5 and compatible motherboards being so new and way overpriced.

I've had no problems with big FPS drops on collapses since I got a 2600x CPU. So I would assume any current cpu will be able to handle that. If you are expecting faster collapses though I'm not sure that will happen. My guess (!!) is that collapses are simply capped at some number of blocks per second.