Electricity Overhaul Mod

ocbMaurice

Thank you for the speedy reply. I had made sure to install BepInEx before adding your mods to the server. I was just hoping to try and increase the rate at which the batteries recharge as it feels like the batteries were either not accepting power when a generator/windmill was connected to them, either that or the tier 6 batteries were charging so slowly that the change in durability was un noticeable. I am currently in talks with the server host to try and get a complete log from the server restart. Thank you for your assistance

just received a full log, how is it best to send it to you? Log File

Edited by TitanOfWarer
Added Google Drive Link For Log File (see edit history)

Thanks for the log, it seems you have done everything right and the BepInEx patches are correctly applied

[Info   :   BepInEx] Patching [Assembly-CSharp] with [ElectricityOptionsPatch]
[Info   :   BepInEx] Patching [Assembly-CSharp] with [ElectricityOverhaulPatch]

I can also see that EAC is disabled correctly, since the Harmony part is also applied correctly

2022-01-19T11:45:29 0.586 INF Loading OCB Electricity Overhaul Patch: OcbElectricityOverhaul

Unfortunately one can also see that the parse error is thrown before the Harmony patches are applied.
This is the culprit of what you see and therefore these patches need to go into the BepInEx phase.
Unfortunately that mean I have to deal with CIL in order to do this properly (basically .net assembler).
Not sure by when I get around to research, change, test and release a new version.
P.s. I believe you could simply attach txt/log files in this forum ...

Edited by ocbMaurice (see edit history)

46 minutes ago, SenpaiThatIngnoresYou said:

This is pretty much a mandatory mod for me. This raises the question: did the fun pimps make the vanilla electricity like this on purpose or are they going to fix it later? 

TFP has stated electricity is in its final form and wont be getting a second look unless something serious pops up. 

17 hours ago, ocbMaurice said:

I've pushed a fix to develop branch (haven't tested it much yet, but seems to work):
https://github.com/OCB7D2D/ElectricityOverhaul/archive/develop.zip

@TitanOfWarer Would be cool if you could test it out.

I am more than happy to test it for you, will be able to upload the new version maybe on Saturday. I will let you know as soon as I can test it out.

16 hours ago, MathiasAdemar said:

Nah, they got the basic functionality they wanted and called it done. If it was for balance reasons, then it would be more optimized, imo.

Yeah, TFP doesn't seem to into fleshing out systems or mechanics. They just throw things at the wall and some of it sticks. Just look at the state of water. Even minecraft has more realistic water physics than TFP has managed. I wouldn't expect very much from their concept of electricity. What we got is actually surprisingly good going by their track record:)

On 1/19/2022 at 4:33 PM, ocbMaurice said:

I've pushed a fix to develop branch (haven't tested it much yet, but seems to work):
https://github.com/OCB7D2D/ElectricityOverhaul/archive/develop.zip

@TitanOfWarer Would be cool if you could test it out.

So far no issues with the Dev branch, server starts up with no errors, will keep an eye out over the next couple of days. Thanks for the help       

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, finally someone did a mod for electricity !
If I could wish me stuff what I am waiting for is a mod that supports logic gates (xor, or / nand / and ...) and a kind of mod that can wire up blocks that can react (move) to electricity signals (like Minecraft pistons or so:

).

Hey ocbMaurice!

I am trying to install this mod on my server (Ubuntu 18) but I am not having any luck with it. It looks like it has problems loading BepInEx libraries.

System.TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'BepInEx.Unix.UnixStreamHelper' threw an exception. ---> System.TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'MonoMod.Utils.DynDll' threw an exception. ---> System.DllNotFoundException: dl
  at (wrapper managed-to-native) MonoMod.Utils.DynDll.dlerror()
  at MonoMod.Utils.DynDll..cctor () [0x00013] in <e54299200d7d4726aec081e4ca77de7e>:0
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
  at BepInEx.Unix.UnixStreamHelper..cctor () [0x00046] in <21687ed02f254d4d983e1f2ff8bf6eb1>:0
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
  at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Object.__icall_wrapper_mono_generic_class_init(intptr)
  at BepInEx.Unix.LinuxConsoleDriver.Initialize (System.Boolean alreadyActive) [0x00007] in <21687ed02f254d4d983e1f2ff8bf6eb1>:0
  at BepInEx.ConsoleManager.Initialize (System.Boolean alreadyActive) [0x0002c] in <21687ed02f254d4d983e1f2ff8bf6eb1>:0
  at BepInEx.Preloader.Preloader.Run () [0x0000a] in <de825a3c20cb41c5b2a60e492584dd77>:0

I can also not add any of the configurations, otherwise the server will not start. Here's the last few line of the output.log (even though I'm sure they won't help):

Caught fatal signal - signo:11 code:1 errno:0 addr:0x50
Obtained 10 stack frames.
#0  0x007f818e60c980 in funlockfile
#1  0x007f818fbe7eb7 in PhysicsManager::GetDefaultPhysicsSceneHandle() const
#2  0x007f818fb23fab in UnityScene::~UnityScene()
#3  0x007f818fb20f6c in RuntimeSceneManager::~RuntimeSceneManager()
#4  0x007f818fb207e5 in StaticDestroyRuntimeSceneManager(void*)
#5  0x007f818f86898f in RegisterRuntimeInitializeAndCleanup::ExecuteCleanup()
#6  0x007f818fb0670a in RuntimeCleanup()
#7  0x007f818fcdeb8a in PlayerMain(int, char**)
#8  0x007f818e22abf7 in __libc_start_main
#9  0x0055e2aab98029 in _start

In game whenever I try to do any electricity related activity, the console opens with an "EXC EndOfStreamException".

I am not that familiar with C# and do not want to randomly try and update BepInEx or whatever dependencies your mod uses. Would you be willing to look into this?

If it helps, I'd be willing to give you a call on Discord or Jitsi and try to debug it with you together.

Edited by Echo Seven (see edit history)

Is there any way to prevent this from loading when connecting to an MP dedicated server over the internet that does NOT run the mod?

I have 2 servers, one has mods, one vanilla. If this mod is in my client mod folder, I get errors in the non modded server, so I have to move the mod out of the mods folder if I want to play in the non modded server...

And then, I have to move it back to play in the modded server.

Same goes for the Electricity Workarounds mod you authored, but the other electricity mods (windmill, wire colors, no wires) seem to work fine so far no matter which server I connect to.

Edited by ktrain
spelling (see edit history)

32 minutes ago, ktrain said:

Is there any way to prevent this from loading when connecting to an MP dedicated server over the internet that does NOT run the mod?

I have 2 servers, one has mods, one vanilla. If this mod is in my client mod folder, I get errors in the non modded server, so I have to move the mod out of the mods folder if I want to play in the non modded server...

And then, I have to move it back to play in the modded server.

Same goes for the Electricity Workarounds mod you authored, but the other electricity mods (windmill, wire colors, no wires) seem to work fine so far no matter which server I connect to.

Why don't you have 2 copies of 7 Days, one moded and one not?  Just copy and paste your 7 Days directory, create a shortcut to the new exe and bam.

image.png.82385286c10a9e3715182968637d329e.png

image.png.417cb74264c9843fbe90094c01cef815.png

31 minutes ago, MikeyUK said:

Why don't you have 2 copies of 7 Days, one moded and one not?  Just copy and paste your 7 Days directory, create a shortcut to the new exe and bam...

First, because it is unnecessary and wasteful of limited SSD capacity, it is only necesary to copy the mods folder not the entire 7DTD folder.

Second, it is unnecessary because it CAN be done this way, as several other similar mods do not load unless the server is also running the same mod.

Thnaks for your input though, all ideas are helpful in the long run...

56 minutes ago, ktrain said:

First, because it is unnecessary and wasteful of limited SSD capacity, it is only necesary to copy the mods folder not the entire 7DTD folder.

Second, it is unnecessary because it CAN be done this way, as several other similar mods do not load unless the server is also running the same mod.

Thnaks for your input though, all ideas are helpful in the long run...

Create a simple batch file to move all the necessary files to a diff location and then run 7 days?  Prob pretty easy to do both ways. 

On 2/8/2022 at 10:03 AM, WhiteLion said:

Wow, finally someone did a mod for electricity !
If I could wish me stuff what I am waiting for is a mod that supports logic gates (xor, or / nand / and ...) and a kind of mod that can wire up blocks that can react (move) to electricity signals (like Minecraft pistons or so:

).

Off topic I know but man if you want a game with electrics, try Rust lol (edited video link, it was massive and spammy...)

This Electricity Overhaul Mod does seem awesome but I have not tried it because I am a little scared of the BepInEx stuff outside of the mods directory.  I am used to DLLs and whatnot inside the mods directory but not so much the BepInEx stuff which I have only come across in some Valheim stuff.

Edited by MikeyUK (see edit history)

43 minutes ago, MikeyUK said:

...I have not tried it because I am a little scared of the BepInEx stuff outside of the mods directory...

The only issue so far with BepInEx is that on client first load the menus are screwed up so you have to ALT F4 to quit the client, thereafter everything "just works"...

5 minutes ago, StefanoTK said:

I want to know how to correctly install the jo game mod, because my game, doing the common installation, has the menu totally buggy.

21 hours ago, ktrain said:

The only issue so far with BepInEx is that on client first load the menus are screwed up so you have to ALT F4 to quit the client, thereafter everything "just works"...

^^

• 1 month later...

Works fine on latest stable, but tested on fresh install latest-exp 20.4 b38, no other mods installed, but with the new Mod folder location used...

Mods are now loaded from <UserDataFolder>/Mods (i.e. the folder that also stores saves, e.g. on Windows %APPDATA%/7DaysToDie/Mods) in addition to <game folder>/Mods. In a future build this will change to only load from that new location so no data is written/changed in the program folder at any time.

Tested and failed Bepin install, just same red error as usually get first run, but now everytime, and not functioning.

Edited by ktrain
sp (see edit history)