.zip files

32 minutes ago, Iceburg71 said:

I can't upload an update to my mod.  It won't let me upload a .zip file.  Is that no longer allowed at all?

Hi Iceburg71

It should allow it (You have tried to reload the page or leave the forum and re-enter), but if it does not allow you to upload files in that format, why not upload it in .rar and that's it.
Regards

I think I ran into this some time ago (this year, months ago) and if it’s restricted still then it’s likely that way on purpose?  I host all my stuff on GitHub so all I have to do is put a link up and not upload to the forums.

if you do end up having to put it “somewhere else”, my thoughts:

- GitHub: Relatively easy to use ... once you get used to it. You might want to use a desktop GitHub app if it’s new to you so you can just drag and drop the files there.  I use the command line mostly to interact with it, so I’m not too familiar with the easier ways. Bonus: the 7daystodiemods.com website (if they are aware of your mods) can auto scan GitHub and keep their site updated. This site provides a nice search and “organization” of your mods.

- Nexusmods.com: I don’t use it, but it provides a very nice “search and showcase” of your mods. I feel it’s a bit of a pain if you have a lot of mods to get them all loaded in as they ask a lot of questions to get each mod set up.

- Dropbox/etc: I don’t like these as I feel it’s very hard for other people to find your mods here, especially if they’re only listed on these forums with just a link to a Dropbox.  But if you’re already using something like this then it’s probably a decent choice. If you do this I would highly suggest adding the forum threads for your mods to this forums “mod list” to make it easier for people to find: 

There is no more uploading files to the forum. You must have your files posted elsewhere and link to that place from here. Of course, if you are just posting a few xml edits that can easily be done in the body of your post for others to copy and paste, that can be done— but for more extensive downloads…nope. 

I believe that Sphereii’s mod launcher looks to GitHub if you are trying to search for a mod using that tool so it is a good idea to use that if you want the tool, that most people are using, to be able to “see” your mod. Could be wrong about that though. Maybe if you download files to your computer the mod launcher can find those as well. 

Edited by Roland (see edit history)

8 hours ago, Roland said:

There is no more uploading files to the forum. You must have your files posted elsewhere and link to that place from here. Of course, if you are just posting a few xml edits that can easily be done in the body of your post for others to copy and paste, that can be done— but for more extensive downloads…nope. 

I believe that Sphereii’s mod launcher looks to GitHub if you are trying to search for a mod using that tool so it is a good idea to use that if you want the tool, that most people are using, to be able to “see” your mod. Could be wrong about that though. Maybe if you download files to your computer the mod launcher can find those as well. 

The Mod Launcher handles both Github and Gitlab, FWIW. You do have to tell SphereII to add your repo to his database, but once that happens, the Mod Launcher automatically updates everything in that repo (though it takes a bit of time).

It's better to have your files hosted somewhere else anyway. You don't want your files going away if TFP switch forum software.

Besides, anyone who does any amount of coding (even simple XML edits) should probably be using Git or some other form of version control. You can get free accounts everywhere nowadays, and the hosting sites make it pretty simple to understand and use. There's really no downside.